• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Watch The Flow

Steven Sinski

just watching the flow at an old flood gate at a lock on the D&R Canal section near Lake Carnegie in Princeton,NJ

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Steven,

This is a work to print twenty feet high and simply stare st and be mesmerized.

The patterns are totally counterintuitive for what we’d expect. Howcon earth does fluid water get such beautiful cross hatched patterns!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Fluid and wave dynamics are quite predictable if you know what causes the lines and how they interact.
The 'lines' are as a result of energy transmission through the surface of the water. They move independently through each other from different sources, giving the criss-cross pattern. The static waves at the edge ai when the speed of transmission is equal to the flow of water in the opposite direction. Surfers often use this at river mouths when the tide comes in and the water rushes out. The static wave can last for quite some time. Drag against the side of the channel will slow the water flow dramatically which results in the formation of eddies. Enough eddies will result in the turbulent effect.

It really all bout energy.
And, yes, I find it quite mesmerising as well.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Tout simplement magnifique !
J'ai téléchargé l'image et l'ai recadrée pour ne plus voir les murs, ne gardant rien que l'eau, et là cela devient sublime…

Asher Kelman

Bien fait!

Steven,

I do hope you are OK with your picture being extracted like this but you have created a treasure for us!
Asher

Asher Kelman

Back to the original:

This is a monumental image that I hope you will print large and get into a school to inspire children with the concept of discovery they can look forward to doing themselves.

The massive concrete structures are a defiance of nature itself.

I once passed a doorway with a homeless mother father and child. I asked my 3 colleagues, all scientists, what they had just seen. None of them had noticed the doorway!

We all have eyes, but a lot of the time we walk by either wonders or tragedy.