• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

White-sided Flowerpiercer

Peter Dexter

51821353032_020bf1f3cc_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Peter,

You realize I hope, how precious the white sided piercer is to all of us outside of the top of the South American Continent. We’d not have a chance of seeing such a beauty.

I adore that upturned-beak and then the sharp downward piercing tip! But that’s I presume for getting nectar in otherwise deep tubular flowers??

What do they get for protein? Do they peck at insects on the bark or leaves of trees or catch them in flight?

The humming birds get their nectar to fuel their flight to catch insects!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Asher

Peter Dexter

Yes Asher I imagine they get some small insects as they consume nectar. Ornithologists call them theives because they don't polinize the flowers they feed from.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes Asher I imagine they get some small insects as they consume nectar. Ornithologists call them theives because they don't polinize the flowers they feed from.
They likely use less energy piecing than hovering to penetrate a long tubular structure!