• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zeiss Sonnar 150mm on Rollei Hy6 + Leaf ii-12R

At the beginning of the year, I picked up a kit that I had always been curious about for years and years - a Rolleiflex Hy6 + Leaf Aptus-ii 12R (80MP "full frame" 645) back.
After I purchased it, the seller contacted me a week later and said he found an extra lens - a Sonnar 150mm f/4 which has issues with the aperture blades which don't always close down, needing a service.
He offered for me to come and pick it up at no additional cost.

Holy cow - I don't know why you'd ever want to close it down! I have shot many Sonnar lenses in my life, but this 150mm f/4 is just full of that old Sonnar Magic. And pixel-sharp at 80MP, which is incredible, despite being such a lens of gentle contrast and beautiful highlights. I wanted to just share a picture here from a photoshoot I did this morning for a friend, which exhibits *everything* I love about this combination. Processed in RawTherapee, this is close to "straight out of camera":

000371-r8s-forest-tyron-front-left.jpg

And another... look at how this lens handles highlights! I just love it.

000370-r8s-forest-tyron-front-right.jpg

Both taken at ISO50 on tripod, and shot without lens hood for extra flare ;-)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is so beyond fabulous! You back and an incredible surprise.

The emerging Hy6 was likely killed in one early review in Luminous Landscape in which a wedding, (if I remember correctly), was poorly shot. Michael, a wonderful promoter in photography, who we miss dearly didn’t seem to treasure it much if at all. It seemed like a gross dismissal. I always felt, rightly or wrongly, that if I called him at night, I would wake up the Phase One salesman, as they appeared that close!!

Our own Nicolas Claris, who as you know is a world class photographer of “Les Grands Bateaux, Chateaux and Gateaux”, loved the Hy6. Processing required it’s own special effor but the results were second to none.

With the collapse of the Hy6, Nicolas switched to the Pentax MF which is equally amazing and has its own lenses!

Asher

Asher Kelman

8FAE168E-581B-48A9-BE68-74A57080BFC5.jpeg

Dawid,

This is superb. The Audi is sharp as a rack and the bg is gently pushed back in respect. The color is so rich. It’s simply amazing that folk stop down such lens!

you have made my day!

This is a great find and investment! I shudder at even the thought of the price! This is really top gear.

Asher

Dawid,​
This is superb. The Audi is sharp as a rack and the bg is gently pushed back in respect. The color is so rich. It’s simply amazing that folk stop down such lens!

you have made my day!

This is a great find and investment! I shudder at even the thought of the price! This is really top gear.

Asher

Hi Asher,

Good to hear from you. Thank you - yes I knew you and the folks on this forum would appreciate such arcane technicalities like the drawing qualities of this lens and camera.
Interestingly enough, I bought this kit to resell it - since I'm a black and white film photographer through and through, and I honestly enjoy using my Mamiya RB67, and my Linhof Technika, more than this camera system.
I'll offer it for sale as soon as some of this COVID-19 madness subsides - at a price much lower than what you think I am sure.
But in the mean time - it's quite amazing to use, this stuff was truly top of the line a few years ago.

Asher Kelman

I am so happy you have it, Dawid, as you have the technical bg to appreciate it. B&W analog experience is the best experience.

I think this would be perfect for board of directors and high end portrait photography as well as top of the line product work.

Also, this would be perfect for a museum for making the most ambitious prints of their most valuable works.

I hope l, before you offer it for sale, that you manage to use it to increase your income.

Ain't nothing bad about going first class once in a while!

Asher