• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Road Art: pavement, walls anything unusually artistic by chance or intent!

Robert Watcher

OK - last one by me and then on to other stuff - I promise . . .

. . . I used this huge art piece painted on the side of a Fish Processing building, as a backdrop for a Love Story Session

13073750697295_brittny1.jpg

Michael Nagel

Walking the streets again and again, the individual signatures of street artists emerge - only few sign their work and still their work is recognizable without it.

Two examples, both are taken 10 months and a few hundred meters apart:

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Walking the streets again and again, the individual signatures of street artists emerge - only few sign their work and still their work is recognizable without it.

Two examples, both are taken 10 months and a few hundred meters apart:

Nigel,

At first I thought this was sprayed via two stencils stencil? Now I realize it's printed on paper and posted in 20 seconds or less!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

I did not think of this presentation - it concentrates more on the subject itself.
This is contrary to my approach of trying to put the shown work in relationship with the environment (at least in some pictures shown).

I will have to look at this one more often before I can tell...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Michael,

The hat and wonderful colors on the cow are very celebratory and fit in well with a festival. Still, there seem to be much deeper roots to the artwork. This is so intriguing as it's of a cow yet somehow seems to be related to the horse in Picasso's Guarnica.

Perhaps our culture has absorbed Picasso's aesthetic arguments and language, or at least the patterning and manner of expressiveness.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Perhaps our culture has absorbed Picasso's aesthetic arguments and language, or at least the patterning and manner of expressiveness.

Asher,
thanks. I believe that these roots go further than Picasso.

Look at Piet Mondriaan and Giuseppe Arcimboldo, the former put it to an abstract level, the latter used vegetables.

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

Michael.

This collection of wall-art ( call it what you like ) along with your underground images are an important and
very impressive collection of the place and time that you live in.

It is a document that has been beautifully spotted, photographed and presented.

You have to get them out in book form!!

Very well done indeed.
Best regards.

Michael Nagel

Fahim,

Thank you! My intent is to honor the original artists and to preserve their work as it often disappears with days/weeks, sometimes months. There are very few works that persist longer.

A book should be feasible without too much hassle for the street art (my favorite expression for the works presented), but for the Underground things are more complicated (royalties, publication permits in general etc)...

To be continued :)

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

recent ones

from an artist who has the pseudonym XOOOOX, another work from him is here:

This artist has flair and the use of letters like confetti or maybe rain, (or even those letters in the bubbles by which comic book figures speak), is a delightful touch!

Wildlife:

This one is unusual for taking advantage of the two colors of the b.g. almost as if the wolf is coming out of the building. different style! Doubtless, a different artist?

Asher :)

Michael

Michael Nagel

Asher,

yes, both are most likely from different artists. The wolf was new to me - I haven't seen anything similar before.

I have to go back into that part of town and look a bit more...

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

These are from today - found on the very same wall. Although I thing that these are from different artists, there is a relationship in their content between both.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

That's an amazing difference! Really worthwhile post-processing. The surface gets such presence it's amazing. But which is most like the sleepy original?

Asher

Michael Nagel

From my perception, the look of the original was somewhere inbetween. It was diffuse light as you see on a day with a moderate cloud cover.

The surface of the sticker looks better after the treatment - this is closer to what I saw, but the metal surface looked closer to the original image in my eyes.

Perception is a curious thing...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Thanks, Michael,

Both improved perceptually. I like the delicate colors on the metalwork and the enhancements work very well.

Here's a wall art picture that's seems very ambitious. It was in Venice California, so perhaps the got the wall owner's permission, or once it was done, it became an istant hit with the locals.

I found a couple running their hands over the plaster work and appreciating the 3D effect of the carved out plaster revealing bricks behind.

VeniceiPhone1.jpg

Asher Kelman: Face on Venice Wall at Dusk

iphone G3: processed in iphoto

Asher