• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cultural and religious symbols, edifices and celebrations!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let me try to recover some lost time..

i-HB3qDKb-XL.jpg

More will come...​

Excellent example., Antonio!

I have questionsP:

Is this the washing out of the last ashes of a beloved, or some other ritual?

We are marked in our psyche to many belief patterns of which is one of the few that is also demonstrated publicly in observable behavior, attitudes, rituals and customs.

..............When one meets another person, one is also meeting an encyclopedia of ancestral memes!

Asher

Also fits in our fine collection of diagonals!

Antonio Correia

This was done in Varanasi (Benares) and yes, they were washing the ashes and posing for someone who was photographing them.

The waters in Varanasi are terribly polluted !
Since we are in Benares, here are 3 more from the burning sites. Enjoy ! :)

i-3WhwMVf-X3.jpg

i-sXcwGNt-X3.jpg

i-PnMFnwg-X3.jpg

Asher Kelman

I visited your website and was so rewarded, Greg!

Your pictures are some of the richest I have seen! Looking forward to them appearing here. You need to have an extension on the URL address of your images, such as .jpg or .png.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

You crowd so many amazing treasures together!

This is particular in mind-stopping!

i-BTLXVhr-XL.jpg

At first I thought it was an exterior done looking down.

Now I realize we are looking up!!

So what does this represent? Such domes are often Muslim or Christian, but here this Has people so it cannot be Muslim!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, this is in Palitana.
They are
The religion is Jainism, an ancient Indian religion.

From the Wikipedia.
"Palitana is associated with Jain legends and history. Ādinātha, the first of the Jain tirthankaras, is said to have meditated on the Shatrunjaya hill, where the Palitana temples were later constructed.

The Palitana State was a princely state, founded in 1194. It was one of the major states in Saurashtra, covering 777 km². In 1921 it had 58,000 inhabitants in 91 villages, generating a 744,416 Rs revenue.

In 1656, Shah Jahan's son Murad Baksh (the then Governor of Gujarat) granted the village of Palitana to the prominent Jain merchant Shantidas Jhaveri. The management of the temples was assigned to the Anandji Kalyanji Trust in 1730.[3]

During the British Raj, Palitana was a princely state in the Kathiawar Agency of the Bombay presidency. Gross revenue, £42,000; tribute jointly to the Gaekwar of Baroda and the Nawab of Junagadh, £700. The capital of the state was the Palitana town (population 12,800). It was ruled by a Gohil Rajput, with the title of Thakore sahib (also spelled Thakor Saheb or Thakur Sahib), enjoying a 9-guns salute, of the Hindu Gohel dynasty, which received a privy purse of 180,000 rupees at the state's accession to independent India on 15 February 1948."

Sunset in Palitana, India
i-9XFWpfP-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

Fascinating history too, Antonio!

I knew a little of Jainism, just the industriousness and the holy men. The latter would travel widely, naked, save for a cotton mouth mask to prevent accidentally ingesting any insect!

Asher

Antonio Correia

These places are fascinating, Asher !
The temples are at an elevation of 600 meters. The main one is reached by stepping up 3500 steps. Some Indian earn some money carrying pilgrims and... tourists ;)

i-hsNfZLQ-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Is this again Jainist?

In any case, the modern descendants seem to have lost the ancient send of esthetics as they junk up the Architecture with excess artwork and cupboards that simplyvare a foreign style!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Peter, there must be many souvenir shops religious related in Colombia. this is just one of them :)

In Portugal there are some. More on the north part of the country.

Antonio Correia

They place very thin leaves of gold on Buddhas.
As the rain drives them down, the Buddhas take it ;)
Later some images.
For now: I thought: Asher is going to like this

i-6gg8V7j-XL.jpg