• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Meet Isabel

Doug Kerr

This is to introduce Isabel, the latest member of our little desert family.

R03600-01-s800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Isabel 3600
She is a precious deer-head smooth-coat Chihuahua (mostly, at least) with a lovely fawn coat. And she is in fact from Chihuahua (Ciudad Juárez). Thus she is Hispanic, and accordingly qualifies as a "dog of color".

("Deer-head" refers to the variety of the breed with a head shaped, as I describe it, "like that of a fox". This is as distinguished from the other variety, "apple-head", with a much shorter muzzle.)

Carla and I have had dogs as pets for much of our lives. When our Daisy died in 2010, we decided not to get another dog. We were mindful of our gradually-declining energy ("the calendar does all the work"), and decided that giving a dog the care it deserves was just an obligation we would be better not taking on. After we moved to New Mexico in 2012, we reaffirmed that outlook. And, as a relevant aside, neither of us had ever been fans of small dogs. I think we associated them with being nervous and "yappy", although of course many are not.

A week or so ago I asked Carla what she wanted for Christmas this year. She said, "Well, I want a little dog." A friend put us in touch with a wonderful rescue agency here in Alamogordo, and the rest is history.

Here are Carla and Isabel last night, Isabel's first night here:

R03617-01-s800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carla and Isabel 3617
Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Enjoy your new loving friend! It’s a worthy investment! Problem is that now there are two females to spoil you or boss you around at their whim!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Here is that more extensive crop mopped up:

R03634-06-s800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Me 'n' my shadow

Isabel hopes to be able to post a photo of me soon.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

She is very loving and seems to be very bright. She is clearly trying to learn everything about her new "situation" - where everything is in our house, when we do what and where, and so forth.

We do not know a lot about her provenance. She is probably 8-10 years old. It is likely that she was at one time "employed" in a "puppy mill" someplace in Chihuahua.

Best regards,

Doug

Peter Dexter

Chihuahuas apparently have a lifespan of 15 to 20 years.

It is certainly hopped that you will be able to care for the dog for it's entire life span.

Doug Kerr

Chihuahuas apparently have a lifespan of 15 to 20 years.

It is certainly hopped that you will be able to care for the dog for it's entire life span.

Well, if not, we have alternate arrangements in place.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
30F1385D-0867-4F7F-A680-CE51C608616C.jpeg

Doug, my Old friend!

Well observed and recorded!

Such a great image of comfort, bliss and contentment!

How’s that for abundance and blessings!

if Clara were a child, they would be innocence. But here it’s gratitude and appreciation of despite human suffering, “being” us worth it while we have it!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

My dear old friend.
Well observed and recorded!

Such a great image of comfort, bliss and contentment!

How’s that for abundance and blessings!

if Clara were a child, they would be innocence. But here it’s gratitude and appreciation of despite human suffering, “being” us worth it while we have it!

Carla.

I am indeed fortunate.

Best regards,

Doug

Alex Johnson

A wonderful dog. Really like a child in the house, because she can be nursed and pampered in every way. It is so problematic to behave with a St. Bernard or Doberman, but with a small dog - what you need.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Alex,
A wonderful dog. Really like a child in the house, because she can be nursed and pampered in every way. It is so problematic to behave with a St. Bernard or Doberman, but with a small dog - what you need.
In fact, as she is an older dog, she is not so much like a child! She of course understands what is expected when she is invited to go out to the back yard and such. She has been studying whether it is worth hanging around the dining table when we are eating (whether or not we would give her table scraps, which we don't). So now she doesn't do that any more.

But she is very affectionate, and indeed loves to be pampered!

Best regards,

Doug