• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

An open letter to Canon!

Will Thompson

How do you turn off live view shooting on the EOS R5

Not to be confused with switching between the EVF and rear LCD!

Where the rear LCD is never used as a viewfinder and only used for menus and playback!

Where the EVF is always used as the viewfinder and never used for menus and playback!

Thus functionally working exactly like a SLR? (As it should!)

Where the rear LCD never turns on without the user pressing a button such as menu or playback!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Will,

I agree! All needed.

At the moment, right now, can one shoot with the back screen off so that one can shoot surreptitiously!

Asher

Tim Rucci

How do you turn off live view shooting on the EOS R5

Not to be confused with switching between the EVF and rear LCD!

Where the rear LCD is never used as a viewfinder and only used for menus and playback!

Where the EVF is always used as the viewfinder and never used for menus and playback!

Thus functionally working exactly like a SLR? (As it should!)

Where the rear LCD never turns on without the user pressing a button such as menu or playback!

Not sure if this might help, but here goes.... I dont' have the R5 but I emailed your question to my nephew, who has the R5.

I cut and pasted his reply to my email below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I’m guessing correctly and they’re shooting with the pop-out screen showing, all they have to do is hit the “INFO” button a few times and
they will see the settings grid resembling your classic SLR. It will black out once they put their eye to the camera, but will stay that way and
reappear when they look back. They can then access the playback and menus from there. My “screen/viewfinder display” setting is at Auto1
(found in the yellow wrench menu, slide #3). I’m not sure it’s possible, from those settings I tried and I tried all 4, to make it so the screen
panel stays black until you summon it — it will automatically pop back up, but the settings grid is closest to the SLR look. Now I did this a
couple times, turned off/on the camera and it stayed this way. There is no viewfinder shifting between the eye piece and the screen panel,

which sounds like what they’re trying to stop from happening.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me know if this helps.

Good luck...

Tim

Doug Kerr

On my Canon EOS M50, I can set the back panel display to show shooting data, or menus if I press the Set or Menu button, and if I push Play the play happens on that panel (all this assuming I do not have my eye to the EVF). But it never shows what the camera is seeing.

If I put my eye to the EVF, the back screen blanks and the EVF shows what the camera sees (which I guess is "live view shooting"). There is no "data" in the EVF view, just at the bottom iconic prompts for what various controls would do.

How this does not meet Will's request is that the back panel cannot be made to be blank until a button (e.g., Set, Menu, or Play) is pressed. (It can of course be completely disabled.)

Doug

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
But can we simply shut off the back panel on Canon mirrorless cameras?

Thst way, no one sees a bright light coming from the audience if we shoot in a concert, night club, or other performance, where the management doesn’t wish for pictures!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Thst way, no one sees a bright light coming from the audience if we shoot in a concert, night club, or other performance, where the management doesn’t wish for pictures!

On my Canon EOS M50, I can shut off the back panel display.

Same on Carla's Canon PowerShot G16.

Doug

Doug Kerr

Just to look a little wider, neither of my two "one inch" sensor Panasonic cameras (DMC-FZ1000 and DMC-ZS100), both mirrorless with integral EVFs and back panel displays, offers exactly the modus operandi described by will. In each case, if the back panel display is permanently blanked (easily done), it cannot be used (without a mode change) for menu work, image playback, etc.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

I note that on Carla's Canon PowerShot G16 (mirrorless, with an integral OVF and a back panel display), if the back panel display is blanked during idle and shooting, it can be used for menu work or image playback without any display mode change.

Best regards,

Doug

Don Ferguson Jr.

That way, no one sees a bright light coming from the audience if we shoot in a concert, night club, or other performance, where the management doesn’t wish for pictures!

Asher
You can just keep the LCD turned inwards on R5 and use EVF.
Don

Will Thompson

You should never have to push an extra button or flip a screen to make it work the way it should have out of the box!

You should only have to set a menu setting!

Apparently I will have to wait for a pro body for this to happen!

Last edited:
I was curious so tried on my Canon 5Rc I recently got.
I can set it to "viewfinder" and then only the viewfinder displays until I select one of the auto modes or screen.
I can adjust shutter and aperture, but could not figure out how to adjust ISO using only the view finder.

The main screen stayed blank until I switched back. So other than ISO worked basically like my 1DsmkII. And that ISO thing may be operator ignorance at this point.