• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shots from the front yard of my in-law's house

Jim Olson

I always take my camera when we go over to my in-law's and they have a bunch of birds flying around all the time.
Lots of geese, ducks, hawks, and sometimes an eagle or two but the hmmingbirds are always great.
20210903181206_BV6A8274.JPG

20210903181002_BV6A8259.JPG

20210903181006_BV6A8260.JPG

20210903181008_BV6A8262.JPG

20210903181211_BV6A8276.JPG

20210903181212_BV6A8279.JPG

And a black capped chickadee
20210903181657_BV6A8307.JPG

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I always take my camera when we go over to my in-law's and they have a bunch of birds flying around all the time.
Lots of geese, ducks, hawks, and sometimes an eagle or two but the hmmingbirds are always great.
View attachment 8296
View attachment 8297
View attachment 8298
View attachment 8299
View attachment 8300
View attachment 8301
And a black capped chickadee
View attachment 8302
Jim,

I simply love these thumb sized amazing little Hummers!

You have done a great job, taking them from a distance and apparently without flash.

Some folks build a blind and you can get to fill the frame!

Also love that little bird in the last frame.

Asher

Asher Kelman

We need to identify the collection!

Here’s a guide of North American Hummers:

D6F79E37-23C8-4096-B12B-CE00B8C54BB0.jpeg

So we can name the 3rd bird easily as Anna’s Hummingbird!

Asher Kelman

What about the others?

Do we have a Broad Billed Hummer in #2?

Is that a Ruby throated species in #1?

I am not proficient in naming, but woukd love to learn. I do know that the age and sex and current molt can influence coloring!

So, Jim or anyone else, can you chime in?

Asher

This is a ruby-throated hummingbird as it is the only kind of hummingbird we have here. The reason for the lack of a ruby throat is this is a female and only the male has the ruby throat.
rubythroatedhummingbird.jpg

Although not a hummingbird, I thought I'd show you this moth that is very particular. Firstly it is a daytime moth. Also it's a clear-winged hummingbird moth, so it is quite large and and stay in position flicking it's tongue into a tubular flower just like hummingbirds. They are delightful to see!
clearwingedhummingbirdmoth.jpg

Jim Olson

Although not a hummingbird, I thought I'd show you this moth that is very particular. Firstly it is a daytime moth. Also it's a clear-winged hummingbird moth, so it is quite large and and stay in position flicking it's tongue into a tubular flower just like hummingbirds. They are delightful to see!
That is so cool... I've never heard of it.
TNX

Jim Olson

Jim,

I simply love these thumb sized amazing little Hummers!

You have done a great job, taking them from a distance and apparently without flash.

Some folks build a blind and you can get to fill the frame!

Also love that little bird in the last frame.

Asher
The last one is a black capped chickadee.
And yes, I just used my 100-400mm to get close.
One is a Anna's hummingbird & the other is a Rofous hummingbird.

Jim Olson

Jim, the shots are getting better and better.

Do you have a branch you can put close by where they can perch and rest?

Asher
Thank you... I'm trying different things all the time.
Also, I mostly have the bird feeders that my wife fills but we do have trees around in the backyard but not much light in the dense area of the branches.

Jim Olson

Hummingbirds are just awesome. I wish we'd have them over here in Germany.
I'm sorry to hear that. We have many hummingbirds here. I guess I never thought about it but you have hedgehogs & we don't 😂
I would love to get some pictures of hedgehogs.
My wife is an army brat & was born in Germany, and said that they could find hedgehogs in the garden.