• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Robert Watcher

My most used lens for my street and travel photography over the past years, is my 14-42mm kit lens for my Olympus bodies. I got rid of the one I had earlier this year, and have really been missing it - even though I haven’t been out shooting the streets.

This morning I noticed in Facebook Marketplace a lady with a brand new Olympus 14-42 EZ Pancake lens. They retail for $399.00 plus 13% tax here in Canada and are on sale for $75.00 off —— and so her reduced price of $100 was justification for me to drive the couple of hours and pick it up (after not selling, she had reduced her asking price of $250 a week ago, to $150 and then this morning to $100).

I had never been to this city before and so even though it was bitter cold outside, I hopped out of the car when I noticed a few spots I could try the lens out on.

On the way home I stopped to let Anne check out a fabric store, while I transferred these files to my iPad, processed them in Snapseed and uploaded them - while sitting in the car. I set my camera on the passenger seat and used my ipad as a background by setting the camera on it. That shot was with my iPhone.

E9920761-0414-48C0-8581-601F0872A34F.jpeg

A9946DCC-B610-4192-8111-A6AF99A3DCE8.jpeg

DC56DF60-980E-4BE0-AD62-66DD6383C932.jpeg

FBCC851B-F7D8-444A-9DED-E13AEC420177.jpeg

8620A895-1C2A-41DF-AE1E-95DB964905E5.jpeg

F9CFA32E-11B2-4DD4-B22B-77A10B360F7D.jpeg

Jerome Marot

I think that all the major brands now have a small kit lens for their mirrorless mount. The specifications are similar, typically a 24-70 or 28-80 equivalent zoom, give or take a few mm. The optics use a center element which can be moved sideways for the lens to collapse to a tiny package. Their main limitation is the aperture and geometric distortion at the short end of the zoom range. Modern cameras of course correct that distortion.

The mechanics are often a bit flimsy as the elements are quite small and the movements complex. Be careful not to stress the mechanics.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
It’s a woman in her mid 50’s and she gave up any cameras she had. She sold the camera body a few years ago, but not the lens. Like most people nowadays, any pics are with her phone she said.
There’s no doubt that the newer phones with 3 lenses and phenomenal computational power, continue to put pressure on utility of regular cameras.

This means that classic cameras will eventually leverage the mobile phone technologies and deliver even better images!

We already see that in the Fuji GFX series where 100 MPX MF sensors are provide for the cost of a Nikon DSLR!

Asher