• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My photo of the week

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hey hey OPFers!
I might be back!
Sorry for the long (very) absence but the covid time has brung me so much more work as before…
I'll try to post here at least one photo each week as "My photo of the week".
Pardon me if Ido not lurk around and post elsewhere, but I'm still overwhelmed…
I just arrived in Venice (Italy) for a week as it's time for a "self" residence, to decompress and prepare the images for our future exhibition (with Romain Claris for the films) at the Fonds Culturel de Hermitage near Paris in 2022...
Sorry for the "postcards", but it's #Venice #venezia the beautiful...

IMG_6167-2.jpg

IMG_6179.jpg

IMG_6170.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These are treasures and serve to bring back fond memories. May we add our shots of your weekly theme/subject matter?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Exactly!

The narrow streets we rush through to find the restaurant a friend recommended!

But where is it?

Well there’s something going over that little stone bridge.

Another hidden City plaza filled with diners.

Let’s eat there!!

nicolas claris

Have you been grounded, no sailboats?
Ha! Hi Will
Sailboats aren't my only playground… Far from that
When you have time and should you wish so, pay. avisit to my website ;)
Thank you for stopping by here and comment :)

nicolas claris

Here we are… My photo of the week 2 :)

This is a 143 feet long boat (43.60 metres) shot last September in Corsica.
To get a real idea of the size of the boat, check the helmsman at the back of the boat…

Guillemot_NCF2345_web.jpg

Asher Kelman

Beautiful modern craft, so tall and stately.

What are the 5 parallel cross structures and those white spheres, (radar??)?

Whether cover is there for the helmsman and host electronic instruments in a storm?

Interesting that the wake waves, (from the front of the boat cutting though the water), starts way back from the front of the bow!

I would love to see side shots! I studies this on many boats off the coast of Maine before completing design of my sculpture, “Puff of Wind”!

Asher

nicolas claris

Beautiful modern craft, so tall and stately.

What are the 5 parallel cross structures and those white spheres, (radar??)?

Whether cover is there for the helmsman and host electronic instruments in a storm?

Interesting that the wake waves, (from the front of the boat cutting though the water), starts way back from the front of the bow!

I would love to see side shots! I studies this on many boats off the coast of Maine before completing design of my sculpture, “Puff of Wind”!

Asher
Hi Asher,
Yes, the white spheres hide and protect the radars.
The 5 structures are called spreaders and help to maintain the mast, they are connected by stainless steel cables, from the masthead to the deck (with large reinforcements inside the hull)
The front wave is partly hidden at the front by the jib…
For more shots of the boat you'll have to wait for another week ;)

nicolas claris

how had I missed this?? Wonderful photographs, Nicolas. As for the boat; it is huge, I was surprised to see how small the guy was! :) Maggie
Thank you Maggie :)
Yes that boat is big! and shooting her is not the same as smaller boat, one have to change habits about distance and focals, especially from helicopter…

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

For high seas is it always open to the elements over the helmsman

Is there any retractable cover for sailing in a storm or is the an interior secondary control console with helm?

Or they required control of sails and that requires live men on deck all the time?

Asher

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

For high seas is it always open to the elements over the helmsman

Is there any retractable cover for sailing in a storm or is the an interior secondary control console with helm?

Or they required control of sails and that requires live men on deck all the time?

Asher
On a boat of this size, the notion of bad weather is not the same as on small boats... Most of the time the autopilot does the job and a crew member can stand by in a protected area to watch that everything is ok. There is a warning system (AIS) that warns when approaching other boats.

nicolas claris

Should someone like my post(s), please no
Thumb up

But what about a short phrase (3 words?) instead? OPF ain't Facebook or Instagram… imho.
If one has not enough time to spend for a few word, I can understand, just walk away, it's no big deal, you might have more time later... Or not…

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I only give you a thumbs up to let you know I have seen it. But then I have to look at the pictures upstairs on a large calibrated monitor to really do justice to professional work!

Asher Kelman

Even though I asked for side views, this picture gives an extraordinary sense of the path being cut by the bow and hull in the water.

This is an exceptionally uplifting photograph! It’s exciting. This is a beautiful composition and full of energy and the view normally only seen by the seagulls or Gods!

The wake of the stern has migrated forward and it’s from there that a giant concavity in the water is created with water thrust to each side to be heaped up as a wave to threaten, test and rock any small craft it passes!

FA03CA94-7266-4D22-8CCC-55E6377AB3E6.jpeg

This white foaming arrangement of water has crept forward to almost 1/2 the length of the hull!

In front is the similar “maelstrom” of churning water displaced, either side, by the leading edge of the bow, the knife-sharp front of the boat, cutting the water ahead of it!

Representing this power, fury and beauty was a challenge to me designing and building Waves of steel ribbon, that could give the same impression of such a fine craft as you have shown, Nicolas!

Last edited:

nicolas claris

Interesting effect with the dragged exposure. Adds interest to a static scene.

——
Thanks Robert, yes it was indeed the intent… :)
I had to try different exposure times as well as the range of body movements to get the "ghost" woman with the head almost in focus and the body blurred by her motions.
I also knew that the lights on the land would produce an interesting effect...

Asher Kelman

Can seat 8!

Damn good!

But we’ll need a Captain and a crew before we buy one.

Is it worthwhile renting it to others if one has a crew, or does the boat too much wear?

Asher

nicolas claris

Is it worthwhile renting it to others if one has a crew, or does the boat too much wear?
Asher
Most of these yachts are chartered all year along.Maintenance costs are high (about 10%/year of the boat's price) so owners only use it for 3 or 4 weeks a year and rent it out the rest of the year. Winter in the Caribbean and summer in the Mediterranean.

8 is a max, 6 guests is much better. Crew are usually 2 to 3 for that size of boat.

Asher Kelman

Most of these yachts are chartered all year along.Maintenance costs are high (about 10%/year of the boat's price) so owners only use it for 3 or 4 weeks a year and rent it out the rest of the year. Winter in the Caribbean and summer in the Mediterranean.

8 is a max, 6 guests is much better. Crew are usually 2 to 3 for that size of boat.
Nicolas,

So what is the advantage of owning? How much do such boats rent for?

Asher

nicolas claris

What is a “grant” and how much is such a boat with crew to hire for 1 week in day Bermuda or Greece?
I meant 10 000 to 60 000 US$… But for a 76 footer it's more between 20 000 to 30 000 US$
These boats are not available for 1 day only charter