• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

I was in my backyard doing some astrophotography again last night and captured some satellites being re-positioned in the sky, I assume Starlink.

Jim Olson

I must apologize for not posting lately, I started a new job June 16th
So after 11 years 9 months and 18 days I finally decided to leave Michaels Arts and Craft.

I could see the satellite moving with the naked eye.

ResizerImage 4193.jpg

ResizerImage 4194.jpg

You can see the 2nd satellite almost on the same track as the one in front of it.

ResizerImage 4195.jpg

ResizerImage 4196.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My wife can read the night sky, otherwise the only other person I know to do so is Robert Watcher!

In the UK where I was raised in London, after the War, there were clouds, fog and smog.

In the USA, in Boston and Los Angeles, there were no clear black night skies you are getting in more open areas!

BD912690-4D59-473B-A29D-01E4AFB5E1BA.jpeg

It’s especially fascinating to see your pictures here, as we are now in the age of the Webb Telescope!

Just a speck, the size of a grain of sand, held at arms length, (covering a minute point in the sky), is what that amazing instrument looks into to fill a giant panoramic screen with light from 500 million years after the Big Bang!

So just one of those dots on your photographs, is the entire window of the Webb Telescope!

Puts things in perspective!

Asher

Jim Olson

My wife can read the night sky, otherwise the only other person I know to do so is Robert Watcher!

In the UK where I was raised in London, after the War, there were clouds, fog and smog.

In the USA, in Boston and Los Angeles, there were no clear black night skies you are getting in more open areas!

It’s especially fascinating to see your pictures as we are now in the age of the Webb Telescope, and a speck, the size of a grain of sand covering a pinpoint the sky held at arms length is what that amazing instrument looks into to feel a giant screen with light from 500 million years after the Big Bang!

So one of those dots on your photographs is the window of the Webb Telescope!

Puts things in perspective!

Asher
I have been following the JWT... And I also saw the post you are talking about. It is mind boggling to think how tiny we are...

Robert Watcher

That string of lights is pretty cool. I have only seen them pass one after the other in the sky.

Apparently that occasion you have captured here is right after the rocket has been sent up and they are all released together. Eventually they move farther and farther apart into their positions. Is that your understanding as well.

——-

JUST FOUND THIS AFTER I REPLIED:

——

Last edited:

Jim Olson

That string of lights is pretty cool. I have only seen them pass one after the other in the sky.

Apparently that occasion you have captured here is right after the rocket has been sent up and they are all released together. Eventually they move farther and farther apart into their positions. Is that your understanding as well.

——-

JUST FOUND THIS AFTER I REPLIED:

——
Yes. I have heard that also.
And thank you for the article... That is good info.
But one last thing. In my video, the satellites were heading East over Washington last night at 2146 local time. You would think they would have separated more by the time they went all the way around the world.

Last edited: