• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!
I am liking this photo enough I am sharing it here as well.
The shoot was mostly for me to play with my relatively new camera (Canon R5c) outdoors, I am still trying to get used to the different way it focuses than my 1DsM3. It is hugely different (as in 45 focus points versus 1024 focus points and really good eye detection system.

Mellisa Dancing at the Park.jpg

I was concerned because it also tends to aim for the closest thing in the scene, even if that is NOT what I want it to focus on. However with this shoot, it appears the eye detect has priority over the rest of the scene. I probably need to do some with multiple people to see what happens.

I am still loving that I basically don't need a flash, unless I want to fill in the light. Personally an assistant with a reflector would work better.

Also still learning to watch the camera being a touch light on the trigger finger so to speak, but some extra pictures with digital don't hurt and it came in handy at one point.

And of course, still annoting that I have to use Canon Photo Professional first, instead of straight to Photoshop. It is getting somewhat easier though, except on my data storage needs.

Other trivia, I also got the opportunity to play with my VR lens all proper like at one point and then processed one of the stills I took with 3D stereo Photo Maker software. Very cool, must get closer to subject next time I try that.

Title of shot is: "Melissa Dancing at the Park"
The Model is "Melissa Trout"
Shot at a park in Newport News, VA, USA.
Technical: Canon R5c, with RF 50mm/f1.8. minimal editing (adjusted exposure -.25, got rid of some trash and maybe some leaves I thought were also trash, and some peaking through naughty bits, so this image would be Facebook safe.

Not naming the park only because we did some guerilla nudes later in the session, so am avoiding getting the model in potential trouble. Just in case.
Although with modern recognition, it is probably easy to figure out which park. But if they can't confirm it, they can't use it.
(if you don't know what guerilla nudes are, they are nude shots in a location you MIGHT need a permit for normally, without getting the permit (or permission) Riskier for model).

I still remember one a few years back where I had permission to shoot and fairly confident the Park Ranger was aware of the nature, but neither of us confirmed it. As long as no one complained.
And I have done a few with permits and permission, those can be fun, but a lot of work ahead of time for the person getting the permission and permits.

John Miller

It's fun shooting models outdoors...whenever you can arrange it or not. I've done it but I always used a little fill flash, adds to the picture. Keep up the good work! would love to see more too.

I, on purpose, left the flash off the camera for this shoot, I already had demonstrated to myself the flash worked. But this shoot was all about the camera itself and by itself.
One trick I always liked doing with my 550EXs is using the on camera one just as a trigger and then the offboard one to provide fill from an angle other than the camera. I just realized I have not yet tried that with this camera, but then I have other usually better options these days, if I want to pack them around (LED light, stand, and battery pack), but that level of activity (and includes just a plain flash tends to attract attention. We did not want to attract attention for this shoot ;)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tim,

I love this light and airy shot of Melissa!

D0E08E58-5118-4AB1-8F07-B4C71F066FE5.jpeg

I am skilled enough that I can light the face well in Photoshop and even better in Portrait Pro.

I have assistants to bring flash. I do that sometimes in the park, but never with a permit.

If challenged, I say it’s not a Professional shoot, I am a hobbyist!

As to nudes, my system is to do it fast.

Asher

The problem with doing it fast is when the model needs to climb up into a tree for the shot. Can't do it both fast and safely.

Mellisa in tree.jpg

Also was borderline too cold for her, she has temperature limitations, which is why the boots through out the sets (also avoids bitey insects a bit.
Here is one from her in a tree, The poncho top is an excellent quick cover up, I like this one because I can still take some good pictures with it on the model.

John Miller

Nicely done! Yes it's hard to shoot quick nudes in a public place. The faster you shoot the better for the model and photographer. Weather also plays a big part in the shoot too. But if you do it right you get some amazing images to show for all the hard work!

Weather was a huge consideration, we basically had two windows to shoot based on her travel schedule, one was after dark, so that was out for doing shots at the park (even with the 5Rc and its great ISO capability)
But the morning we had a 2 hour likely window for scattered clouds before rain, so went for that. Weather guys were a little off, started raining 45 minutes after we left the park, but when we left fully cloudy at that point, not quite as good, but usable.

I am going to put one more shot from that session in the nude figures topic in a moment.

I am liking this photo enough I am sharing it here as well.
The shoot was mostly for me to play with my relatively new camera (Canon R5c) outdoors, I am still trying to get used to the different way it focuses than my 1DsM3. It is hugely different (as in 45 focus points versus 1024 focus points and really good eye detection system.

I was concerned because it also tends to aim for the closest thing in the scene, even if that is NOT what I want it to focus on. However with this shoot, it appears the eye detect has priority over the rest of the scene. I probably need to do some with multiple people to see what happens.

I am still loving that I basically don't need a flash, unless I want to fill in the light. Personally an assistant with a reflector would work better.

Also still learning to watch the camera being a touch light on the trigger finger so to speak, but some extra pictures with digital don't hurt and it came in handy at one point.

And of course, still annoting that I have to use Canon Photo Professional first, instead of straight to Photoshop. It is getting somewhat easier though, except on my data storage needs.

Other trivia, I also got the opportunity to play with my VR lens all proper like at one point and then processed one of the stills I took with 3D stereo Photo Maker software. Very cool, must get closer to subject next time I try that.

Title of shot is: "Melissa Dancing at the Park"
The Model is "Melissa Trout"
Shot at a park in Newport News, VA, USA.
Technical: Canon R5c, with RF 50mm/f1.8. minimal editing (adjusted exposure -.25, got rid of some trash and maybe some leaves I thought were also trash, and some peaking through naughty bits, so this image would be Facebook safe.

Not naming the park only because we did some guerilla nudes later in the session, so am avoiding getting the model in potential trouble. Just in case.
Although with modern recognition, it is probably easy to figure out which park. But if they can't confirm it, they can't use it.
(if you don't know what guerilla nudes are, they are nude shots in a location you MIGHT need a permit for normally, without getting the permit (or permission) Riskier for model).

I still remember one a few years back where I had permission to shoot and fairly confident the Park Ranger was aware of the nature, but neither of us confirmed it. As long as no one complained.
And I have done a few with permits and permission, those can be fun, but a lot of work ahead of time for the person getting the permission and permits.
Love this image, it's so spontaneous! Full of freshness and joy! :) Maggie