• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Little planet winter scene, Au Jardin Botanique

Charles Lupica

You know it's difficult to decide where to put an image. I find it very difficult to select any forum other than "Photography as Art", for anything except the photos I take as part of my "stock" photo collection. Eveything else, good or bad, I try to shoot from the heart, from the photographer's eye (any even the stock photos are shot hoping to still have a soul, rather than pure commercial value. Can a photo with no sould have commercial value?).

So I offer this unusual image as photography as art. It is a panorama or 6 images taken with a 10.5 mm fish-eye, plus one up and one down. They are stitched with PTGUI 7.1 Pro using the little planet projection setting. Normally, little planet projections use the down facing nadir (?) as the point of origin so that the "planet" springs up around the center of the image. With this set of images, the center point should be the large rock in the foreground.

In this projection, I have chosen the a point on the horizon rather than a nadir, shifting the center by 90°

Winter scene of the Jardin Botanique done as little planet projection.

SnowBall_v2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You know it's difficult to decide where to put an image. I find it very difficult to select any forum other than "Photography as Art", for anything except the photos I take as part of my "stock" photo collection.

Charles,

I like the picture. I've seen paintings like this mounted in round frames! Making a picture anything but a relatively normal projection is a risk but does offer a new way of observing. In doing so, you have indeed created a small place that is both attractive and intriguing. It's here that things might happen. We'll bring our our picnic basket of fantasy to this place.

Thanks

Asher