• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flower Shots With Presence!

Rachel Foster

You're right, Asher, same shot from slightly different angle. I've been pondering the vase neck since I resurrected this image last night. I'm ambivalent about it.

Lightening the leaves might work nicely!

Arrowleaf Balsamroot

I know this is a landscape but I think the wind-blown flowers are pretty much in control.

original.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Winston,

I want to say yes, let the hobbits come forth! it has the air of magic with those wonderful puffy clouds almost alive and with eyebrows and the flowers seemingly so self-important with your wide angle lens.

I hope you never lose this way of looking at things.

Asher

Winston,

I want to say yes, let the hobbits come forth! it has the air of magic with those wonderful puffy clouds almost alive and with eyebrows and the flowers seemingly so self-important with your wide angle lens.

I hope you never lose this way of looking at things.

Asher
Thanbks Asher,

This image made possible by a favorite tool...my FWD. You can't see places like this from the pavement. I was determined not to leave without an image that fully described the feeling I got there. This time it worked out.

That's wonderful!
Thank you, Rachel.

Steve Robinson

Very nice flower images everyone. Here's a few from the Yellowstone area. Please don't ask what they are! These were taken with a Pentax K20D and an old M 100mm f/4 Macro.

[
IMG]http://wtlwdwgn.smugmug.com/photos/573772396_2BSem-O.jpg[/IMG]

573772434_Jzy3x-O.jpg

573772353_T2oHC-O.jpg

Asher Kelman

Thanbks Asher,

This image made possible by a favorite tool...my FWD. You can't see places like this from the pavement. I was determined not to leave without an image that fully described the feeling I got there. This time it worked out.

So Winston, you drove your Four Wheel Drive through this field. Where you just at the edge or driving through the field?

Asher

Asher, I'm not a complete savage ;-) I would never drive into or through something like that. Established roads and jeep tracks only. Also. only areas designated as public access.

I parked and carefully picked my way through fifty yards of this stuff to arrive at this randomly chosen spot.

janet Smith

pro member
Flower shots with presence: your best!

IMG_4738cleanSS.jpg

I was a beautiful warm weekend, Autumn is beginning (my favourite season) hope you enjoy them....

(Copied from "Late Summer". See the other 3 outstanding pictures and read the ensuing comments here, ADK.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Jackson

A few more flowers from home in Tahiti

Tahiti is known for beautiful flowers. I have a passion for them.

After The Rain

8658296_t3utZ-L.jpg

Hibiscus Flower right after a rain squall passed through. See more of my Tahiti flower photography here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Ken,

You have captured the hibiscus at it's peak. This fits in with the theme so well. The color, BTW, does follow well on Janet's bloom from the U.K.

Asher

Abhijit Biswas

We all take pictures of flowers. Sometimes, a flower seems to have a presence that it exerts over the rest of the scene as if it's an actor playing its part. So we mark these as a little more special. I'll stick my neck out by posting first this picture taken with my Canon G10 digicam as the sun is low in the sky.

IMG_7002_flower_800.jpg

© Asher Kelman "Lilac Colored Flower" Do not copy or download
Canon G10, ISO 85, 28mm, AV, f3.2, 1/640 sec, no flash,

So go through your files and choose the very best flower pictures where a bloom seems to act in some special way!

Asher

Hi Asher,

I like this image. The colors came out very good. The exposure is spot on. The whole flower is very crisp and I think I would prefer a bit softness in this image. May be a shorter DOF would help. I also wonder what this one would look if you had shot this from a slightly left and bit lower camera angle. This is just a thought.

In any case I like it. Overall a nice image.

Thanks,
Abhijit
http://www.exposurebits.com

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

I like this image. The colors came out very good. The exposure is spot on. The whole flower is very crisp and I think I would prefer a bit softness in this image. May be a shorter DOF would help. I also wonder what this one would look if you had shot this from a slightly left and bit lower camera angle. This is just a thought.

In any case I like it. Overall a nice image.

That's so kind of you Abhijit! I snapped this at the local hardware store flower department. It's a pretty big place and if one is not in people's way, a nice place to take pictures. Well the DOF is in a way rendered large because of the format. I could have produced the narrower DOF with my Canon 50 1.2L at about f1.8.

Asher

Abhijit Biswas

This is a daisy type of abstract image, ... one that has always been a favorite of mine.

8606525-lg.jpg

Everyone take care,
Michael

Hi Michael,

I like this one a lot. The softness, the compostion and the lines all make this image. I was playing around with this image in PS and I think a brighter version enhances the mood better for my taste. Just my 2 cents. Nevertheless, this is a wonderful image. Keep it up.

Regards,
Abhijit
http://www.exposurebits.com

Asher Kelman

Ray,

That's a great addition to our series. I like the crisp fresh presentation of the bloom on the left, trans-illuminated like a lantern, and this balanced by the many OOF blooms in the b.g.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

JimCollum

pro member
I've been doing a photo-a-day journal.. each month a different 'theme'.
January has been images from my and neighboring property. Rained today, so i got this right outside the house

Leaf 75s, Zeiss 110/2 planar
aptus_019625.jpg

Asher Kelman

Jim,

What a great gift of sharing; a hanging flower, like a lamp from above deluged by water and the plant below open to receiving what the sky offers. Not a passive scene at all, the extra bud, entering the field from the upper right, keeps us thinking this scene has a life force! It appears to me as a metaphor for openness to new experience and to sharing. This one, double edged, characteristic is required of all artists.

The rendering is a dramatic artistic style.

Asher

ErikJonas

Banned
I have a shot of a Icelandic Poppy,if i spelled that right but anyway it was lost with my crashed drive...When i get it back i'll post it here....

What a fantastic thread....Jim thats a AWESOME shot....Wow.....