• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flower Shots With Presence!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Ray,

The projection of this full bloom into a narrow depth of field is beautiful.

Asher

Care on the sharpening halo of the petal edges.

Matthew Bryan

DSCF1171%20(Medium).JPG

One of only a handful that I really would consider good enough to share.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew Bryan

Thanks Rachel.

I took that back when I first got my Canon and I was trying to stop putting my subject in the center of every shot - that's been one of my most difficult habits to break ;-)

Asher Kelman

Jim,

I also like Mike Brown's cut "daisy" type picture, (except this seems like a monocot by the long leaves with parallel stems, not a daisy really).

I'm especially thrilled by your pick of Dwayne Oakes's work. He works especially with soft pastel tones of fields and woodlands and his mark is how he deals with mid tones. I'm so happy to have another person who I like and admire be enthusiastic with Dwayne's rendering of nature. More folk should look beyond their bookmarked pages and search for Dwayne's other pictures here. Thanks for your good eye!

Asher

JimCollum

pro member
I just found Dwayne's Zenfolio page, and looked at other images. He has a very unique signature to his images.. one I like *very* much

Jim,

I also like Mike Brown's cut "daisy" type picture, (except this seems like a monocot by the long leaves with parallel stems, not a daisy really).

I'm especially thrilled by your pick of Dwayne Oakes's work. He works especially with soft pastel tones of fields and woodlands and his mark is how he deals with mid tones. I'm so happy to have another person who I like and admire be enthusiastic with Dwayne's rendering of nature. More folk should look beyond their bookmarked pages and search for Dwayne's other pictures here. Thanks for your good eye!

Asher

Matthew Bryan

Another example...

IMG_3651(Large).jpg

I really like the shot, but I think it could be better. I may have been too close, not sure.

shah hossain

I took this one from Shah's original post with 14 pictures here! Asher

Flower shooting trip
Last thursday (25th feb 2010), we went to a nursery in Jeddah(Saudi Arabia) for shooting flowers. Most amazingly I found out that the Nursery is located inside the International Airport AREA. I've seen planes flying over our heads so many times and We were warned not to take any pictures of flying planes. It was like Nursery was on the RUNWAY. At 08:00 a.m. we started taking pictures in the designated areas of Nursery and finished at 10:00 a.m.

2cxhny9.jpg

Asher Kelman

With the edge of spring in Los Angeles, the Calla lilies have bloomed and the curves and whirls of white petals intrigue me. My wife was delighted that there were flowers to pick. No! It shall not happen!

_MG_1568 1_600.jpg

Asher Kelman The First Calla Lilies Do not edit, copy or download

I hope we see more unique flowers showing up from the land near you!

Asher

Sydney Rester

This thread has been so moving and inspring as I'm stuck here in gray cubicle land. My father owns a garden center. I know where I'll be this weekend. Shooting early spring bedding plants! Thanks to everyone for the gorgeous images!

Asher Kelman

Wow Asher, this is as good as it gets!
Ruben,

What I don't understand is why things should be that beautiful in nature? Or rather, why do we see this flower as so lovely? Is there some benefit to us to appreciate natural things. Is there a benefit for the flower. Certainly, to make a landing plat form or glide path for a foraging insect then yes, I can inderstand markings. But why should this flower invest so much in being beautiful?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Wow Asher, this is as good as it gets!
Ruben,

What I don't understand is why things should be that beautiful in nature? Or rather, why do we see this flower as so lovely? Is there some benefit to us to appreciate natural things. Is there a benefit for the flower. Certainly, to make a landing plat form or glide path for a foraging insect then yes, I can understand markings. But why should this flower invest so much in being beautiful?

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

What I don't understand is why things should be that beautiful in nature? Or rather, why do we see this flower as so lovely? Is there some benefit to us to appreciate natural things. Is there a benefit for the flower. Certainly, to make a landing plat form or glide path for a foraging insect then yes, I can inderstand markings. But why should this flower invest so much in being beautiful?

Asher

Frankly I´ve never asked these questions to myself Asher, but now that you mention it, it really is something to think about. I´ve seeing on TV that flowers try to attract insects that will help to transport the polen to other flowers... or something like that. I don´t know how scientifics come up with certain things.

Asher Kelman

Frankly I´ve never asked these questions to myself Asher, but now that you mention it, it really is something to think about. I´ve seeing on TV that flowers try to attract insects that will help to transport the polen to other flowers... or something like that. I don´t know how scientifics come up with certain things.
Ruben,

I know all that biology very well. Still, we don't pollinate flowers. So why are they beautiful to us? It doesn't seem to do the flower any good. It's not as if only beautiful flowers would survive because man nurtures them. This is true in the wild. It might well be that plants as a rule benefit by being attractive to animals in general as they might eat them and then spread the seeds. It could be that over hundred's of thousands of years, being attractive meant that humanoids respected beautiful plants and destroyed ugly ones, but that's perhaps too simplistic.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
With the edge of spring in Los Angeles, the Calla lilies have bloomed and the curves and whirls of white petals intrigue me.

_MG_1568 1_600.jpg

Asher Kelman The First Calla Lilies Do not edit, copy or download

Hi Asher

I've photographed Calla Lillies several times and never been entirely happy with what i achieved, I would be delighted if I'd taken this one, very well done.

Phil Marion

I don't usually take photos of flowers - my 30D doesn't handle highlights or oversaturated colors as well as I'd like (or perhaps it is a USER problem) but I stumbled across this one in Costa Rica. For me the lighting was right. The dark background and diffused overcast day. This was not done in a studio.

4279452292_6e7254b181_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

Phil,

These birds of paradise never cease to amaze me in their beauty and geometric shapes. I like to photograph these too and am always seeking novel presentations. Thanks for sharing.