• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Answering the call!!

fahim mohammed

p4128646727-6.jpg

fahim mohammed

Hello James.
Hope you and yours are keeping fine.

I guess it was a rather tiring journey to get up there. Mercifully, it was not me. Ayesha is happy to go where I fear to tread!

p4130788712-6.jpg

Thank you for visiting.
My very best to you.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
....I guess it was a rather tiring journey to get up there. Mercifully, it was not me. Ayesha is happy to go where I fear to tread!

316B62C9-B205-4354-8FEA-92B5FC7CC5CB.jpeg

High but no snow! I wonder if this was on your journeys in the independant Islamic remnants of the former Soviet Union?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Jarmo, Jerome, Asher.

Thank you all for stopping by.
Asher, wait for the snow!
Jarmo,Jerome; it is so nice to meet up with friends again.

The location is the green area..top center right of the map.

p4131283220-5.jpg
Look at the altitude of the mountain peaks!
The mountain ranges of the Himalayas, Hindu Kush, and the Karakoram meet near the town Gilgit on the map.
The entire region is traversed by valleys, lakes and the river Indus.

Ayesha traveled along the Karakoram Highway ( indicated on map ) which is the highest highway in the world. Connects Pakistan and the PRC.
Stunning engineering undertaking. She did not cross into the PRC, as she did not have a visa.
The border crossing is the highest border crossing in the world..terms of altitude.

The Godwin Austen summit is more commonly known as the K2 summit. Considered the most dangerous summit to ascend for advanced climbers.
Ayesha wanted to reach the base of K2. But had to turn back due to heavy snowfall and dangerous weather conditions!

As one can imagine this is heavily militarized area on all sides!

fahim mohammed

There was no one Silk Road in ancient times.
There were many routes which caravans, traders, hardy souls traveled from East to West and and back.

Here is one such route; cutting across the 3 mountain ranges. Legend, has it here, that due to the serenity, beauty and inaccessibility of the places nestled way up in the mountains;
Soloman brought his bride, the Queen of Sheba, Bilqis in Arabic for privacy. Bilqis, or the Queen of Sheba, is reported to have been originally from Yemen ( Najran, to be specific, in Saudi Arabia )

We are not blessed with such powers of travel, so we are content to travel along one of the ancient Silk Routes... along the edge of Rocky Mountain on your right.
For Asher; the snow further north and higher up is quite a trek and climb away. First one descends into a steep valley. Then one has to trek many kms across varying scenery and terrain to get a glimpse at what lies at the foot of the mountain!
Deceptively close and cruelly inviting are the heights!

p4135904825-6.jpg

Asher Kelman

Fabulous description.

I wonder if there are deer and other will game for the people to hunt and live off, or only domestic animals, even I. These “Wild” areas?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Thanks Asher for stopping by.
I don't know about hunting animals, however I saw plenty of sheep, goats, cows, and horses here.
I did see eagles ( could not identify them..they are called Shaheen around these parts ). I guess there must be rodents, rabbits and the like.

p4137682160-6.jpg

Ice cold! The streams flowing down from the glaciers melting as summer approaches. The wooden structure was built for people to find a ' safe area ' to cross when the water level rises
I am cynical about its safety or otherwise.

Asher Kelman

I don't know about hunting animals, however I saw plenty of sheep, goats, cows, and horses here.
I did see eagles ( could not identify them..they are called Shaheen around these parts ). I guess there must be rodents, rabbits and the like.

p4137682160-6.jpg

Ice cold! The streams flowing down from the glaciers melting as summer approaches. The wooden structure was built for people to find a ' safe area ' to cross when the water level rises
I just think of how brave Ayesha is to just reach this place!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator

p4137682160-6.jpg

Beautiful contre-jour !
Thank you @fahim mohammed for not having shot this in slow motion so we can feel the energy there.
Powerful!