• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Backyard Snow Birds

Don Ferguson Jr.

Backyard birds in snow, Upstate SC. Hawk is Red- Shouldered.
Don

Cardinal coming in snow.jpg

RSH snow.jpg

Blue Jay Snow.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Don,

This is such a wonderful series. I hope you have children, grandchildren or nephews and nieces to share these with as they are perfect and so uplifting!

The snow simplifies and unifies the bg so one could readily make a snowbirds composite!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Nice series. So, these guys stay in your area and don`t migrate? I understand hawks are local but how about the others?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The ruby-tailed wasp is probably the finest I have seen in the UK...

Paul.

View attachment 8936

View attachment 8938

Well Paul,

I discovered

1. the “Spoiler” for the first time in my life, (an “insert” in an unrelated thread that is low key and courteous), and

2. this beautiful metallic solitary wasp! It is like a cuckoo bird, laying eggs in the nests of other solitary wasps and so giving their own offspring protein-rich larvae as food!

Asher

Paul Iddon

View attachment 8936

View attachment 8938

Well Paul,

I discovered

1. the “Spoiler” for the first time in my life, (an “insert” in an unrelated thread that is low key and courteous), and

2. this beautiful metallic solitary wasp! It is like a cuckoo bird, laying eggs in the nests of other solitary wasps and so giving their own offspring protein-rich larvae as food!

Asher

I didn't want to hijack the thread taking it off topic (y)

As for the birds, we have few as pretty and colourful, maybe with the exception of our Kingfisher and male bullfinches.

Paul.

Don Ferguson Jr.

Don,

This is such a wonderful series. I hope you have children, grandchildren or nephews and nieces to share these with as they are perfect and so uplifting!

The snow simplifies and unifies the bg so one could readily make a snowbirds composite!

Asher
Thanks, Asher ! I had a fun time still going through the shots.
Don

These are great Don. Especially love the bluejay as we have those here. I have not seen them often, but when they do come around, they are pretty aggressive and all the other regular visitors hide out in the trees. They are so beautiful though, and where I live, a bird that is blue is a special sight! :) Maggie

Don Ferguson Jr.

These are great Don. Especially love the bluejay as we have those here. I have not seen them often, but when they do come around, they are pretty aggressive and all the other regular visitors hide out in the trees. They are so beautiful though, and where I live, a bird that is blue is a special sight! :) Maggie
Thanks, Maggie !
Don