• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Bright light in my window

Robert Watcher

It’s been fun getting to know about the stars, constellations, nebulae, and galaxies. I decided to use my own photos that I have been taking over the last few weeks, to map the skies with points of interest that I can identify when I go out. I spent some time recently, identifying the prominent stars and constellations in this view I had, looking to the West, in Photoshop.

10770C0B-CF11-4FF7-91F6-C3AB65DA43A4.jpeg

28EA4D2C-5AF1-4B02-977D-746229E0A3B6.jpeg

Based on this map showing clearly the position of stars related to each other, I was able to go out that night and identify the Whirlpool Galaxy by aiming my lens in that direction, even though it isn’t visible to the eye. With this knowledge, I would love to get on to a telescope and photograph it closer - but that is an expensive dedicated hobby — and I’m a generalist photographer who explores a large variety of subjects using what equipment I have to maximum ability LOL.

C55A2A72-457F-447D-A999-E68089E3C538.jpeg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Are there new alignments expected in the next few days. I note caught my eye referring to positions of Jupiter and Saturn but I couldn’t find it again!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Are there new alignments expected in the next few days. I note caught my eye referring to positions of Jupiter and Saturn but I couldn’t find it again!

Asher

jupiter and Saturn are still available in roughly the same location and alignment in the sky as of last night’s drive, anyway