• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Doors! Handsome, beautiful, decayed, prison or palace, even stolen!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
And now for something completely different...

One real door which served as canvas for street art and one...

Does the second one count?

Best regards,
Michael

Mchael,

They both count. These fun expressions in pant are actually important to us as besides being lighthearted. There's some really serious matters behind the obvious humor. Like the scales of justice, the motif of a door means not what it should in the simplest terms! Doors, like justice, only work conditionally. Only certain people get access at certain times, perhaps and not others. Also like justice, the door may seem like the real thing, but may be just another barrier or a false option. So your doors stimulate us to think in terms of motifs or expressions that we face n our lives that are not what they seem to be.

Asher

Asher Kelman

In another area, this might be dull gray, unkept and considered a building for folk on the margins. What is invested here is perhaps mostly an expression of self worth.

_0033057 2_Flowers SF Steps_.jpg

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

In another area, this might be dull gray, unkept and considered a building for folk on the margins. What is invested here is perhaps mostly an expression of self worth.

_0033057%202_Flowers%20SF%20Steps_.jpg

Asher
I should admit I don't fully understand why do you think that this would be a building for people on the margins.

Re. the photograph, I think that you did not do what you always preach, namely shooting a bit wider; lol. I would love to see more to the right. What is this place? Judging by the showcase of some pictures on the right, I would guess that this is a real estate agent or something along those lines.

Asher Kelman

Cem,

Snapped this with the 50mm macro GXR, 3 images vertically stitched while walking with my grandson and his tricycle. Left my Canons in LA as am shooting LF in San Francisco.

I've seen these buildings in a sad state with folk that live at the extremes of society, disadvantaged. To see the same structures happily celebrated, shows a far different set of human conditions and appreciations.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher

Asher,

I see it the same way, but the security cam adds an additional twist...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Visiting Paris means also a trip to the Louvre. As we passed from Rue De Rivoli into an archway "grand tunnel", towards the Pyramid of glass at the Louvre, I saw a doorway on the left and too a snap.

_0038001_600pxl.jpg

Asher Kelman: Door in the Louvre access walkway

I took some snaps of folk exiting towards the light too making silhouettes against the bright exterior.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Thanks. One reason for choosing this picture is also based on a different perception (and probably wrong interpretation) from my side. In Germany this is still considered as some sort of door and called 'Gartentür' (which is not correct, but widely used), the correct word is 'Gartentor' which bring us back to gate.

I do not know where the rest of the security perimeter is. The setting has something absurd for me, this was the reason for the photo and the title...

Best regards,
Michael

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

Visiting Paris means also a trip to the Louvre. As we passed from Rue De Rivoli into an archway "grand tunnel", towards the Pyramid of glass at the Louvre, I saw a doorway on the left and too a snap.

_0038001_600pxl.jpg

Asher Kelman: Door in the Louvre access walkway

I took some snaps of folk exiting towards the light too making silhouettes against the bright exterior.

Asher
I know where that door is, lol. The stairway seen through the glass panel of the door is an added bonus. Since it was virtually dark there, I am amazed that your P&S was able to capture this at all.

Robert Watcher

Red Door in the Middle of a Field. The concrete slab and tank were poured for this outdoor bathroom - and as a result the steel door needed to be formed into the concrete - - - but the bathroom was never finished. It is a strange sight when all you see is the Red Door standing alone.

13419767980235_EP130448.jpg

Michael Nagel

Michael, thanks for reviving this wonderful thread.

I particularly like these two. For me, they seem to go together!!

Best.
Fahim,

thanks. Yes, they belong together - one is intended to separate and there is a way to get around, the other is open, but the way is closed anyway. These are opposite views of absurd situations with doors/gates.

I like the art of René Magritte, maybe his work has helped me to see this.

Best regards,
Michael

fahim mohammed

love this one Fahim, the closed door is well captured- what lies behind it?

reminds me of

"When the doors of perception are cleansed, man will see things as they truly are, infinite."

-- William Blake

Mark..brilliant!! I mean it sincerely.

Best regards.

p.s. do you happen remember which image that was? I might be able to unlock it.

Mark Hampton

Mark..brilliant!! I mean it sincerely.

Best regards.

p.s. do you happen remember which image that was? I might be able to unlock it.

no idea Fahim - none of us could make it any better with any other image - the image is all our doors cleansed.

the only issue I have is thinking about the infinite - that is a door that is closed - to me.

to replace the image - here is the linky

http://umdah.zenfolio.com/img/v20/p707677241.jpg

did you make a picture of famous p707677241 door in glasgow per chance?

cheers

fahim mohammed

Mark, the link shall take some time to trace. Why famous and why Glasgow?

Best.

no idea Fahim - none of us could make it any better with any other image - the image is all our doors cleansed.

the only issue I have is thinking about the infinite - that is a door that is closed - to me.

to replace the image - here is the linky

http://umdah.zenfolio.com/img/v20/p707677241.jpg

did you make a picture of famous p707677241 door in glasgow per chance?

cheers

Asher Kelman

Red Door in the Middle of a Field. The concrete slab and tank were poured for this outdoor bathroom - and as a result the steel door needed to be formed into the concrete - - - but the bathroom was never finished. It is a strange sight when all you see is the Red Door standing alone.

13419767980235_EP130448.jpg

Rob,

Splendid. I can imagine the guy working out his ideas and discussing it and then project gets stopped. but why, people don't need to pee, the family broke up or what?

The red door is a work of art in itself.

Asher

Asher Kelman

So to follow on from Rob's masterpiece, I have something far more humble. This worn and dried out doorway in London.

IMG_3578_1000.jpg

Asher Kelman: #5

Triptych

London, 2009

G10 Canon Digicam

Three seemed just right.

Asher

Michael Nagel

The representation of this door is most likely not as good as the others shown here, but there is a message.

There is a quarter in Munich where are some of the last houses of what you could call the old Munich. Small individual houses at a small, paved street. As gentrification has started to affect this part of Munich, the houses in this street will disappear sooner or later. This door is from one of the houses where the people moved out.

For documentary purposes, the street sign on the wall of the very same house.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Michael,

You picture with months of plant growth in front of the door is descriptive of the flight from that neighborhood. The sense is that the changes are relatively recent. Cem's picture in post 74, however, shows something that is of another time period altogether.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

The reason for posting this was by no means as an answer to Cem's picture. It was indeed to show a recent development. This is an attempt to preserve some impressions of things bound to disappear (which is a major purpose of photography in my eyes). I think that besides the individual body of work, each photographer, professional or not, can and even must document things on the verge of disappearance to help preserving the memory of it.
This was an underlying intention of this post.

Best regards,
Michael