• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Doug Herr

I've recently added a 600mm f/4 lens to my toybox toolbox. It's a beast and it attracts too much attention, but having said this I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Superb series Doug!
I really don't know why but I do love ducks!
We have some wild ones (and thousands in farms…) close to the office and I adore watching them flying in groups of six over the Garonne river next to my window…
But these shown here are beautifully captured. Cool!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Simply beautiful to behold and so enjoyable as it’s real but a treasure to be able to experience so close in flight with the reach of your new lens!

1/4000 second is really serious stopping power. But when there's less light, or the wings back lit, in shadow, do you use a Better Beamer or similar fresnel long distance flash supplemental lighting?

Is this a Sony A7RIII with the Canon lens?

Asher

Doug Herr

1/4000 second is really serious stopping power. But when there's less light, or the wings back lit, in shadow, do you use a Better Beamer or similar fresnel long distance flash supplemental lighting?

Is this a Sony A7RIII with the Canon lens?

I don't use flash. When the light is too dim for this kind of photograph I look for other photographs. The lens is the Sony FE 600mm f/4 G Master, with the Sony a7rIII.

Asher Kelman

I don't use flash. When the light is too dim for this kind of photograph I look for other photographs. The lens is the Sony FE 600mm f/4 G Master, with the Sony a7rIII.
Wow! I hadn’t realized that Sony had G-mastered all the way to 600 f4.0!

So is The IS in the lens too?

The 100-400 is also fabulous and apparently in DXO better than the Canon version, but appears to have a potential major structural weakness in the front and back halves of the outer barrel so one needs long term insurance.

I am not sure where I read it, perhaps “Borrowlenses.com”.

As far as flash is concerned, in Costa Rica, reaching into trees for birds I could see in the foliage was difficult and a lightweight flash would have saved the day and paid off handsomely.

With family waiting, one can’t simply hang out until a light beam penetrates the deep cover above.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Doug,

I just read up on the lens, it seems like a gem!

What did you think of the The Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS lens available for $1998?

Seems like a bargain. But if you havectge 100-400 and the extra $$$$ the 600mm f4.0 can allow you to work in dim light too!

The zoom has interesting “hold focus” buttons!

Asher

Asher Kelman

I've recently added a 600mm f/4 lens to my toybox toolbox. It's a beast and it attracts too much attention, but having said this I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Doug,

I have never seen better bird pictures! These are remarkable.

On special feature of photographing with natural overhead light, here is the reflection on the unusually shiny surface of duck bills/beaks.

For some reason these birds seem to all have extraordinarily emotive looks. Some look simply happy and glowing in enjoyment!

Doug Herr

Doug,

I just read up on the lens, it seems like a gem!

What did you think of the The Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS lens available for $1998?

Seems like a bargain. But if you havectge 100-400 and the extra $$$$ the 600mm f4.0 can allow you to work in dim light too!

The zoom has interesting “hold focus” buttons!

Asher

I didn't seriously consider the 200-600 because I wanted the extra light-gathering of the f/4 lens, especially with an extender attached.

One thing I like about the light in these photos is the reflected light from the water's surface below the birds; it's like a fill light for the shadows.

Asher Kelman

I didn't seriously consider the 200-600 because I wanted the extra light-gathering of the f/4 lens, especially with an extender attached.

One thing I like about the light in these photos is the reflected light from the water's surface below the birds; it's like a fill light for the shadows.
Doug,

That reflection off the water is very good to have pointed out! I admit that it didn’t occur to me!

I am always brightening the undersides of birds in flight against a bright sky!

How much correction do you still need, or are the birds that close to the water?

Asher

Doug Herr

Doug,

That reflection off the water is very good to have pointed out! I admit that it didn’t occur to me!

I am always brightening the undersides of birds in flight against a bright sky!

How much correction do you still need, or are the birds that close to the water?

Asher

The reflection of the sky on the water is like a huge soft box, they don't need to be especially close.

Asher Kelman

Doug,

I was surprised to read that Arthur Morris has been successfully using that bargain 200-600 lens with an A9!

“I have been walking early with the 200-600/a9 combo trying to create some pleasing blurs, most with the vultures. And at sunset, I have been experimenting with the 200-600 with the a9 and both the 1.4X and the 2X TC. I have been astounded by the results. Images here soon …” Birds as Art

Doug Herr

Doug,

I was surprised to read that Arthur Morris has been successfully using that bargain 200-600 lens with an A9!

“I have been walking early with the 200-600/a9 combo trying to create some pleasing blurs, most with the vultures. And at sunset, I have been experimenting with the 200-600 with the a9 and both the 1.4X and the 2X TC. I have been astounded by the results. Images here soon …” Birds as Art

Art Morris is trying to create some pleasing blurs. I want the option of creating sharp, detailed photos in more lighting conditions. Different approaches.