• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flowers on a walk!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
32F396D5-BB66-4D17-B34A-F06477C176A4.jpeg

Asher Kelman

Yesterday, without realizing it, my technique was so different!

Attachment-1.jpeg

I realize the obvious major change occurring when using a smart phone camera, albeit with 12MP, instead of a heavy LF camera!

The feeling is entirely different having a deeper plane of focus. It has a far larger distribution of interest! Intriguing and more Democratic to the bg but ultimately losing the punch and impact of the larger format images of 2023!

Asher

James Lemon

Yesterday, without realizing it, my technique was so different!

View attachment 11885

I realize the obvious major change occurring when using a smart phone camera, albeit with 12MP, instead of a heavy LF camera!

The feeling is entirely different having a deeper plane of focus. It has a far larger distribution of interest! Intriguing and more Democratic to the bg but ultimately losing the punch and impact of the larger format images of 2023!

Asher
Would still produce a 12.5 x 10 print at 300 DPI

Doug Kerr

Lovely shot.

I enjoyed your discussion about the use of different cameras for such subjects.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Lovely shot.

I enjoyed your discussion about the use of different cameras for such subjects.

Best regards,

Doug
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your visit and comments!

The even appearance of detail in smart phone images because of the shorter focal length used, can be advantageous in showing the matrix in which interesting things exist.

But we can still get the subject sharp and the bg out of focus when we shoot in limited light and the object of higher interest is closer to us.

Attachment-1.jpeg

Here the cactus flower rises far above the plane of the cactus plant itself and so they are naturally separated in the decreased light of the location and the closeness to the flower.

On the other hand, the entire plant to be included in the field requires one to step back and now the plane of focus straddles both the flowers and the plant itself.

Attachment-1.jpeg

This evenness of presentation doesn’t reveal thr compositional elements that I think could be brought out.

So now I use a combination of peripheral blur and central brightness to rank a portion of the plant on the upper left as being where to explore.

Attachment-1.jpeg

It’s subtle as one shouldn’t make such changes to attract attention! I hope it works for you!

With a larger format long lens, this comes about naturally!

Asher