• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lockdown

Jerome Marot

Remember, we are an isolated continent, never been invaded in World War I and II and every man seems to think they are John Wayne! They are not as educated as Europeans and believe in Christ the saviour with variations from focus on “Salvation” to prayer and donations to the Church healing is and /or bringing actual wealth, by making the evangelist rich. 98% might admit to believing in God but essentially Jesus is a real person with a surname Christ and for sure loves them.

I can tell you that we have our fair share of these in Europe as well. I would even say that it is a general rule that whatever the country, there is about the same proportion of fools and idiots.

Jerome Marot

What damage? The market is up, home values are higher and there will be a massive rebuilding program with a booming economy as we exit a war footing!

"Rebuild" what, exactly? This is not like the war when houses and factories needed to be rebuilt. These are simply shops and bars which were closed down. A proportion of them will go bankrupt, but they can reopen under a different name any day. It does not need a massive investment to reopen them, everything needed is still there. So there is a change, but not where you expect it. I am not even sure what changes are in front of us.
An educated guess would be that the poor will be poorer and the rich richer, because the stimulus is protecting investment. Taking the example of a restaurant: waiters and cooks will sit on a proportion of lost wages, but landlords will probably manage to stay afloat. If housing continue to increase in price, they will indeed be richer.
The increased gap between super-rich and the general population is what should worry us.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I agree that the gap will increase. Still, there will be massive new public infrastructure.

In good times, bold moves tend to be shunned as the status quo will get one re-elected, so few are willing to shake things up.

in stressed times, folk reevaluate priorities and there is far more insecurity and hence beaurocrats and politicians can be nudged towards change.

That’s where we are now.

Asher

James Lemon

EqkPBXWVkAAn-3L.jpg

Asher Kelman

If he dies in a car wreck but has COVID in his blood cause of death is COVID. LOL
Don
Don,

I hate being a spoiler for such a well drawn (and on the face of it), humorous cartoon and your quick-witted response!

However the joke is centered on a tragic happening of a once in a century pandemic that has cost 350,000 lives in just 10 months in the USA alone, much in part because the President and Republican enablers dismissed the novel Covid-19 virus as a hoax when they had the actual data from their advisors that it was deadly!

Worse, even now, the President refuses to advise those who love and follow him that mask protect their loved ones and themselves! Even now, he could prevent perhaps half of the 85,000 Covid-19 deaths that are expected in January by getting 90% of his loyal followers to wear masks and stop large masses indoor events!

So such sets of “jokes“, while certainly witty, are not really in good taste or helpful to society, my good friend. It unfortunately serves only Trump supporters and no-maskers to disrespect the reality of SARS CoV-2 as a serious problem.

Well then, let’s look at this:

Attributing deaths falsely to SARS CoV-2?

Practically never in the USA or in any country with modern up to date academic medicine.

Cause death is a very serious medical matter, as it becomes a key part of “Evidence-Based Medicine”. So physicians are not casual about assigning cause of death.

In fact, in the USA, the number of deaths due to Covid-19 is a minimum count as those without Covid-testing, cause of death would go to the obvious co-morbidity and so are not counted! If we look at “excess deaths” compared to previous years, we can see that in many countries where Covid diagnostics are insufficient!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Photographs are never quite real, Maggie. But I am sure you know that already.
But that “quite not” or “not quite” in your qualification thankfully allows room for the reality of your experience in taking and choosing the picture for us and then our interpretations and the consequences that follow.

It’s a linked gestalt referential reality and that’s my reason for valuing your pictures as art!

Asher