• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New processing software for me - features

Robert Watcher

I’m glad that you were able to get a refund Cem, If it didnt live up to what you were expecting. I would want the same.

I have no doubt that Lightroom is a great tool, and now having the same type of “AI” selection tools, I’m positive that LR handles that feature well. Having used Lightroom for years for my file organization and basic editing, I just happen to prefer working in on1 Photo Raw for a one application tool that allows me to handle all of my files and get my images to where I want them to be - having easy access to layering and masking tools, great presets, noise reduction, sharpening, etc. I’m not hung up on the features or overly affected by the marketing hype, but I enjoy having them available and making use of them when I am able to.

Chris Calohan

I just uploaded the 2023 version of On1. I bought the yearly subscription so upgrades are free. I'm still exploring the program features, but it does so much more that DXO, Topaz or PS/LR and easier, I might add. The Denoise is the best I've seen yet.

Chris Calohan

Hi Asher,

I have all the major software, and it is not always easy to choose the right raw converter, etc.
My workflow can be summarized as follows:
LR CC for cataloging and processing quickly when a picture is only going online. Also for creative color processing using the IP2 Profiles and Presets of Blake Rudis.
DxO PhotoLab 5 to do the raw conversion including the optical corrections and deeprime noise reduction, for high ISO photos and for photos which will be printed
ON1 Raw 2022 effects: some tonal contrast and the big softy vignetting. Used occasionally.
Luminar Neo: Occasionally, some sky replacements, overhead lines removal, dust spots removal, creative processing
Photoshop: Detailed processing for prints, important photos, sharpening, luminosity masks with Lumenzia, layers, retouching, creative processing, etc
NIK collection: almost unused. Occasional ColorEfex ProContrast
Topaz Labs plugins: Gigapixel to enlarge mobile phone pics or extensively cropped photos, sharpen AI when Focus Magic isn't working well (which is almost never)
Affinity Photo: almost never used
CaptureOne 22: almost never used.
SNS-HDR Pro: for HDR processing
PTGui: pano stitching

As can be seen, I have way too much SW. I could easily live with LR, PS, DxO. I'd miss PTGui occasionally.

I hope this helps.
Have you ever tried any of the Tony Kuyper Plug-ins...some pretty slick stuff and works in concert with Photoshop.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Have you ever tried any of the Tony Kuyper Plug-ins...some pretty slick stuff and works in concert with Photoshop.
Chris,

I am simply blown away by these advanced well thought out tools.

It seems I need to invest in looking at the videos introducing his plugins and also action integrated tools for Photoshop!

I have no doubt that this opens up enhanced post processing and that it’s far beyond luminosity masking and I have been missing out on these advances!
Asher

Chris Calohan

Chris,

I am simply blown away by these advanced well thought out tools.

It seems I need to invest in looking at the videos introducing his plugins and also action integrated tools for Photoshop!

I have no doubt that this opens up enhanced post processing and that it’s far beyond luminosity masking and I have been missing out on these advances!
Asher
More than even I imagined when I first started using Lum masks. On1 picks up where everyone else left off.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
More than even I imagined when I first started using Lum masks. On1 picks up where everyone else left off.
Explain that, Chris.

With On1 luminosity masks doesn’t need those plugins as it’s already built in or what?

Are you saying you find On1 does things beyond PS CC?

Asher

Robert Watcher

I can’t speak for Chris, but I’ve used the Luminosity Masks in on1 Photo Raw to target tonal areas for Local Adjustments as well as applying Effects. I have no idea if I am using it correctly, but find having the option easily available by clicking the Lumen button for the mask associated with each adjustment and then playing with the 3 Levels sliders as well as Window setting, is getting me targeted results.

I just threw together some adjustments in this image to show where the Luminosity Masking is as well as the look of a gray scale mask overlay (this one is Inverted)

E18ABFD7-585B-42F8-BE90-DC825A2D8112.jpeg

D726131E-7E90-44EA-8704-CD554B17E22B.jpeg

EC6AF60E-003A-493F-8999-1158D5419ECD.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris Calohan

Moreover, and this is pretty slick, but when you get the new 2023 version, it includes some editing modules that are automatically added to your Photoshop plug-ins. This way, you can work on both platforms simultaneously.