• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New processing software for me - features

Robert Watcher

I’m glad that you were able to get a refund Cem, If it didnt live up to what you were expecting. I would want the same.

I have no doubt that Lightroom is a great tool, and now having the same type of “AI” selection tools, I’m positive that LR handles that feature well. Having used Lightroom for years for my file organization and basic editing, I just happen to prefer working in on1 Photo Raw for a one application tool that allows me to handle all of my files and get my images to where I want them to be - having easy access to layering and masking tools, great presets, noise reduction, sharpening, etc. I’m not hung up on the features or overly affected by the marketing hype, but I enjoy having them available and making use of them when I am able to.

Chris Calohan

I just uploaded the 2023 version of On1. I bought the yearly subscription so upgrades are free. I'm still exploring the program features, but it does so much more that DXO, Topaz or PS/LR and easier, I might add. The Denoise is the best I've seen yet.

Chris Calohan

Hi Asher,

I have all the major software, and it is not always easy to choose the right raw converter, etc.
My workflow can be summarized as follows:
LR CC for cataloging and processing quickly when a picture is only going online. Also for creative color processing using the IP2 Profiles and Presets of Blake Rudis.
DxO PhotoLab 5 to do the raw conversion including the optical corrections and deeprime noise reduction, for high ISO photos and for photos which will be printed
ON1 Raw 2022 effects: some tonal contrast and the big softy vignetting. Used occasionally.
Luminar Neo: Occasionally, some sky replacements, overhead lines removal, dust spots removal, creative processing
Photoshop: Detailed processing for prints, important photos, sharpening, luminosity masks with Lumenzia, layers, retouching, creative processing, etc
NIK collection: almost unused. Occasional ColorEfex ProContrast
Topaz Labs plugins: Gigapixel to enlarge mobile phone pics or extensively cropped photos, sharpen AI when Focus Magic isn't working well (which is almost never)
Affinity Photo: almost never used
CaptureOne 22: almost never used.
SNS-HDR Pro: for HDR processing
PTGui: pano stitching

As can be seen, I have way too much SW. I could easily live with LR, PS, DxO. I'd miss PTGui occasionally.

I hope this helps.
Have you ever tried any of the Tony Kuyper Plug-ins...some pretty slick stuff and works in concert with Photoshop.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Have you ever tried any of the Tony Kuyper Plug-ins...some pretty slick stuff and works in concert with Photoshop.
Chris,

I am simply blown away by these advanced well thought out tools.

It seems I need to invest in looking at the videos introducing his plugins and also action integrated tools for Photoshop!

I have no doubt that this opens up enhanced post processing and that it’s far beyond luminosity masking and I have been missing out on these advances!
Asher

Chris Calohan

Chris,

I am simply blown away by these advanced well thought out tools.

It seems I need to invest in looking at the videos introducing his plugins and also action integrated tools for Photoshop!

I have no doubt that this opens up enhanced post processing and that it’s far beyond luminosity masking and I have been missing out on these advances!
Asher
More than even I imagined when I first started using Lum masks. On1 picks up where everyone else left off.

Asher Kelman

More than even I imagined when I first started using Lum masks. On1 picks up where everyone else left off.
Explain that, Chris.

With On1 luminosity masks doesn’t need those plugins as it’s already built in or what?

Are you saying you find On1 does things beyond PS CC?

Asher

Robert Watcher

I can’t speak for Chris, but I’ve used the Luminosity Masks in on1 Photo Raw to target tonal areas for Local Adjustments as well as applying Effects. I have no idea if I am using it correctly, but find having the option easily available by clicking the Lumen button for the mask associated with each adjustment and then playing with the 3 Levels sliders as well as Window setting, is getting me targeted results.

I just threw together some adjustments in this image to show where the Luminosity Masking is as well as the look of a gray scale mask overlay (this one is Inverted)

E18ABFD7-585B-42F8-BE90-DC825A2D8112.jpeg

D726131E-7E90-44EA-8704-CD554B17E22B.jpeg

EC6AF60E-003A-493F-8999-1158D5419ECD.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris Calohan

Moreover, and this is pretty slick, but when you get the new 2023 version, it includes some editing modules that are automatically added to your Photoshop plug-ins. This way, you can work on both platforms simultaneously.

Robert Watcher

I have really been a fan of on1 Photo RAW and have used it on my desktop workstation, to benefit from its photo organization abilities as well its many features described in this post. I have struggled at times though with its sluggishness at times as well as becoming unresponsive with heavy tasks on my base MacMini M1. I have learned to work within those limitations however, as the only alternative I would have would be to abandon on1 and go back to Lightroom subscription that I used prior to purchasing on1.

Last week I noticed that there is a summer deal on an upgrade to the new on1 photo raw version 2024.3 and so I hoped that moving to this newer version may provide a bit more speed on my machine. As well there was the ability to have the free 2024.5 update when it came out —- which it did today. I have to say that there is a marked improvement in speed displaying images in both the Browse and Edir windows. As well I am really finding the new Super Select tool to be particularly impressive. I had fun today using the latest update on some of my European Vacation file.

robwatcher.com_P4080675.jpeg

robwatcher.com_P4080922.jpeg

robwatcher.com_P4080928.jpeg

robwatcher.com__4081259.jpeg

Robert Watcher

robwatcher.com__4071157 1.jpeg

Artistic Treatment above
(processed in on1 2024.5)

Original from camera below
(Olympus E-M10 w/14-42EZ kit lens - jpg file)

robwatcher.com__4071157 2.jpeg

—————

Live Composition Olympus E-M10 Mark III w/14-42mm kit lens ——- processed with on1 Photo Raw 2024.5

robwatcher.com_P4080986.jpeg

Original jpg file from camera
robwatcher.com_P4080986 1.jpeg

Last edited:

Andrew Stannard

pro member
I played around with ON1 Photo Raw when it was first released, but quickly became frustrated with the speed and some bugs.

Sounds like it has moved on quite a lot since, so perhaps time to take another look. I'm a fairly dedicated Capture One user at the moment, but always good to keep up-to-date with other offerings.

Andrew.

Asher Kelman

Robert,

It’s such a game-changer to be able to achieve such clear dimensionality in the bridge picture and then reset the tonalities and mood in the dusk picture!

I am impressed.

But I have no doubt folk could achieve equivalent results with PS or other software. But it would likely be be awkward and a longer process.

What is likely going to be the most important single factor to decided the winner is when entire objects must be selected accurately.

Where do you think ON1 stands versus PS CC?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

It’s such a game-changer to be able to achieve such clear dimensionality in the bridge picture and then reset the tonalities and mood in the dusk picture!

I am impressed.

But I have no doubt folk could achieve equivalent results with PS or other software. But it would likely be be awkward and a longer process.

What is likely going to be the most important single factor to decided the winner is when entire objects must be selected accurately.

Where do you think ON1 stands versus PS CC?

Asher

My primary reason for installing on1 is more as a Lightroom replacement. But it also suits my desire to artistically manipulate my final images. I would consider on1 to provide most of the functionality of Lightroom as well as Photoshop.

I haven’t used the latest versions of LR and PS in the last 3 years, so can’t compare - but hear that they have advanced AI selection models as well. This latest ON1 2024.5 version has drastic improvements to me when it comes to speed of viewing folders of images, going between the Browse and Edit windows, exporting and great improvements with the AI Select abilities. Those are areas where on1 has been a challenge for me, but are actively being improved I feel.

On1 Photo Raw is my primary editing application, but I also use Affinity Photo (older version) where I Export out of on1 to Affinity and save back into on1 to continue on , Snapseed and Photomator (primarily on my iPad). I still have my first LR alternative called Exposure 7, but I hardly use it. At least it was a one time purchase so I could still use it some 4 years later if I wanted.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Thanks for that helpful summary of your software applications.

What do you export to Affinity Photo to do that can’t be achieved easily in ON1?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Thanks for that helpful summary of your software applications.

What do you export to Affinity Photo to do that can’t be achieved easily in ON1?

Asher

Mostly the Inpainting tool. The healing brush in on1 is more like how Lightroom worked - I’m not as fussy of that. Warping and compositing tasks that can’t be done in on1. But it’s not something I use often. If I didn’t already own Affinity, I’d be content with all of the abilities of ON1.

Robert Watcher

I find a lot of value in the ON1 Presets as a starting pointing when I am wanting to be creative with my captures. Similar to how I used Lightroom in Central America to stylize my pics. In Snapseed, I have a selection of Presets that I have created to provide looks that I like when editing on my phone it tablet.

Muted, platinum type toning

robwatcher.com_P4080750_topaz_sharpenAI.jpeg

———-

Rembrandt Sculpture in Leiden, Netherlands

robwatcher.com_P4080723.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

robwatcher.com_P4080714.jpeg

Subtle edits is all I need for most images. For this pick, ON1 did it all in a few minutes. Transform, Tone and Color adjustments, and 5 Filter Effects applied to different parts of the image using Select tools [Sunshine, Vignette, Dynamic Contrast, Glow, Border]

Below - original quick snapshot where I was bent over looking at the tilted up screen with the camera hanging a foot off the ground to center the dome in the back of the bridge

robwatcher.com_P4080714v1.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Same app. Same functionality on both
Thanks!

Robert,

Snapseed “ambience” is one of my most used functions on my iPhone for adjusting images.

What photoshop RAW functions do you think “ambience” is made up of or equivalent too?

Does ON1 have an equivalent process combination?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Thanks!

Robert,

Snapseed “ambience” is one of my most used functions on my iPhone for adjusting images.

What photoshop RAW functions do you think “ambience” is made up of or equivalent too?

Does ON1 have an equivalent process combination?

Asher
I’ve never really experienced anything like Snapseed Ambience, on one slider in other apps. I love it and use it too on my phone/ipad

Robert Watcher

Could you describe its effects in terms of Photoshop functions like an S curve plus something else??

I can’t. I simply use Snapseed to get that affect if I need it. Which both my wife and I use on many pics that we are using for social media or to bring out different moods. I don’t really have a need to replicate the look in general or in my professional work.

Asher Kelman

I can’t. I simply use Snapseed to get that affect if I need it. Which both my wife and I use on many pics that we are using for social media or to bring out different moods. I don’t really have a need to replicate the look in general or in my professional work.
Thanks! I just wonder what they are doing, 😂