• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

No Bucket Trucks...

Peter Dexter

...here in Colombia for tree cutters. Guy just climbs up a rope hand over hand and goes to work on the limbs toppling the tree chunk by chunk. This was a Croton sp. tree in front of my house that was very old, losing big limbs and in poor condition. Here in this department of Colombia property owners must solicit permission from the CVC (Corporation of Valle del Cauca), a state government entity that oversees all things related to the environment. Permission must be sought to cut down any native species tree that threatens a structure or service on your property. Non native species such as Eucalyptus and Cypress are exempt. Agents will come to the property and examine the condition of the tree and threat it presents then issue a report which may approve or deny permission. If approved you are required to move protected species attached to the tree such as the orange flowered Bromeliads seen in the images to other trees where possible. Scofflaws who cut without permission are subject to big fines and in the extreme, embargoing of their property.

50698983238_b2e18e8903_b.jpg

50699522073_3e73cca2cc_b.jpg

50700270041_f19c5ece36_b.jpg

Peter Dexter

Yes the company I used has only one man who can do that and work without fear on the tallest trees. Others suffer from panic.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Once I am in some harness, I have no fear. It’s the free hand climbing of the first guy up the astonishes me.

What are those beautiful monocot epiphytes growing on the tree?

....Ahah, “orange flowered Bromeliads”! I will have to look them up!