• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Road Art: pavement, walls anything unusually artistic by chance or intent!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

The fist time I have seen it as well, but on the other hand, having seen 4ever quite often, the idea is ot that far off...

That's simple: There are places where graffiti is allowed, these are the legal places. Illegal refers to the rest.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

Thanks for your answers. I imagine that right now there could be several PH.D. theses being written on the social significance of the rich expression of graffiti in Munich!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Are these first two above, just whimsical evolution of design, or are there clues to be read or references to other works or ideas?
I don't know, but would not discard the idea of original art. The first artist - LawOne - was posted in this thread before.

The body parts picture is unusual. I've not come across such a character! I imagine this so stylized person has been in other cartoons before?
The earliest influence to such a visual idea I am aware of is Hieronymus Bosch.

This is supposed to be an eye watching us on one that keeps away bad omens?
Well, the artist was not available for comment ;)

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

From a bridge well known for its Street Art in Munich:

Michael,

There are such wild fantasies. These folk obviously have time to just allow their brains to wander and then remember those fantastic dreams.

Those rabbits seem to be part of some Freudian inspection team of male symbology, LOL! They're very busy studying it from every viewpoint. One on the lower right, might even have a little plane to fly around for inspection, perhaps it's a drone!

The last one with the dragons coming from the mind of the 'rooms is particularly powerful, humorous and serious all at the same time. One fights because of one's delusions! We all have such fiery dragons beneath the surface, but we keep them out of the public scrutiny.

You could write a book on all these discoveries. It would be amazing!

Asher

Asher Kelman

A few recent finds:

Michael Nagel: Don't Walk!

Michael,

Before I realized this was an instruction, (I should read the title first), I thought that this was a symbol for a door and one's transcience, going from one stage in life to another. but it's an exclamation mark !!! and so a warning to those who would cross the road. But then if they don't listen and run into on coming traffic............there you are, that exclamation mark has poetic depth!

Brilliant in its simplicity. but your comments are like that to, succinct and efficient.

Thanks for sharing so much of your finds!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Die Gedanken sind frei ... verfügbar

This merits an extra post, it is a comment on the ubiquitous suveillance we are confronted with.
The title alludes to a German song about the freedom of thought:
The title of the song means 'The thoughts are free'.
The graffiti adds one word - verfügbar - which means available.
This transforms the meaning from 'The thoughts are free' to 'The thoughts are freely available'.
The meaning of the words is still there (look for 'the thoughts are free' in the article).

Here it is:

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

A few more additions - end of May to beginning of July.

Text means "Evolution - No Thanks"

Bavarian version of YOLO:

Michael,

I've been struggling with the meaning of "Man Lebt Nua Eimoi" to possibly stand for "man nur einmal lebt".

.........but now I know, LOL! :) I discovered your straightforward clue that's been in plain sight all the time! Just in case others missed it too, (being focused on the picture, instead!)

It was in a short link, I missed to Wikipedia, .

Yolo is an acronym for "You Only Live Once".................."The phrase "you only live once" is commonly attributed to Mae West,[1][2] but variations of the phrase have been in use for over 100 years,[3] including as far back as (the German equivalent of) "one lives but once in the world" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe in his 1774 play Clavigo[4] and as the title of a waltz, "Man lebt nur einmal!" ("You Only Live Once!") by Johann Strauss II in 1855."

Thanks, Michael, for bringing this great poster art, so rich, entertaining and worthy of our attention!

Asher

Asher

Michael Nagel

Hi Asher,
.........but now I know, LOL! :) I discovered your straightforward clue that's been in plain sight all the time! Just in case others missed it too, (being focused on the picture, instead!)
Thanks. Yes, sometimes things are hidden in plain sight.

The follwing two are pretty small and can be easily missed:

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Michael,

Quer is a beautiful logo! Apparently it's a word reclaimed by gays and lesbians for self-description. Is it one of those current words that's only "kosher", even treasured by insiders, like "Yid" or N*gg*r" for insiders, whereas outsiders of the group using it of them, might be considered highly offensive?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Seen end of August:

The following is my favorite of last month, simple and clever. There is already a pattern similar to an asterisk. The pattern was modified by applying blue and orange foil to some tiles (recognizable by the different hue) to turn this asterisk into a Space Invader. I have the impression that many people pass as you have to stand at least on the opposite side to see it.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

A little further around the corner on the same urinal:

Michael,

Some posters like this, seemingly justified and innocent, might reflect more on the poster maker than the people who apparently annoy her. I'm not referring to assault, which is never justified, just unwanted attention.

I'd wager that "I'm not there for your entertainment" is just an anti-male, (and unjustifiably hostile comment), more often from women who do not consider the consequences of wardrobe choices. Except in very rare circumstances, (such as this),modest women do not get harassed like the poster suggests. When it does occur, likely as not, society itself has broken down at that time!

I find this "politically correct" demand of "don't comment!" as being only reasonable for modestly dressed women. Frankly this protest poster smacks of that rarely admitted attitude of misandry that has grown up in the shadows of eons of mysogyny. Modest women dress so as not to neither attract nor justify unwanted attention. Otherwise, such complaints are frankly quite annoying. Perhaps women dress for each other and really don't have a clue about the impact of sensual dress on onlookers. For women who adorn, present and expose themselves as sensual objects, attention is the natural result. Of course, no one shouldn't ever disrespect anyone else, but it's really foolish to expect reactions as if one is a nun if one dresses like a hooker.

Asher

Michael Nagel

I'd wager that "I'm not there for your entertainment" is just an anti-male, (and unjustifiably hostile comment), more often from women who do not consider the consequences of wardrobe choices. Except in very rare circumstances, (such as this),modest women do not get harassed like the poster suggests. When it does occur, likely as not, society itself has broken down at that time!

I find this "politically correct" demand of "don't comment!" as being only reasonable for modestly dressed women. Frankly this protest poster smacks of that rarely admitted attitude of misandry that has grown up in the shadows of eons of mysogyny. Modest women dress so as not to neither attract nor justify unwanted attention. Otherwise, such complaints are frankly quite annoying. Perhaps women dress for each other and really don't have a clue about the impact of sensual dress on onlookers. For women who adorn, present and expose themselves as sensual objects, attention is the natural result. Of course, no one shouldn't ever disrespect anyone else, but it's really foolish to expect reactions as if one is a nun if one dresses like a hooker.

First - the meaning is more:

Perceive me as person and not as body.

I do not think that this is asking too much.

Second: As you bring up the subject:

Clothing might be acceptable or not from a cultural point of view, but under no circumstances this may serve as excuse for losing self-control for those committing these crimes - also in the case you linked. This is just blaming the victim.

Signalling the issue is one thing, but anything beyond is unacceptable!

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

First - the meaning is more:

Perceive me as person and not as body.

That's very wise. We need to go beyond that and remove the superficial patina folk have, ( be it skin color or physical shape) or "wear" , such as either truculence or even friendliness), that allows us to be prejudiced in some way, against trusting them or giving them a chance! First snap judgements are correct more than not but are still likely to be a good 40% wrong!

I would likely never hire a woman who's first statement indicates social baggage and political activism. If I want a job done, that's all I want for that transaction to work out.

Too often we filter people, like that. That's part of the reason why people go to great lengths to create a new persona so as to bypass our preconceptions. In doing so, they may unwittingly project an aura that appears to speak from motives they do not really own! I don't think the woman, (assuming it's indeed a woman artist), who made the poster really wants to turn off people from dealing with her.

The opposite is so true! More often than not, a beautiful person might be selected when they really have no better qualifications from which they should be moved up our estimation of them.

Disrespecting or worse demeaning or humiliating another person is to me the worst behavior and degrades our own status and being as a human.

However, don't dress like a pirate if you want to sell rare diamonds!

Don't dress provocatively if you are going to be offended by stares. Folk are to some extent responsible for the reactions of others towards them, although it never justifies crudity or exploitation!

Just never!

So we agree .......I think!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Hi Doug,

Thanks! It is a documentation project, so the main focus is on the original artists. I am just recording the results.

Five more from the same place and day.

This is the same place like in the line of posts starting with this one and ending with this one.

What I consider interesting is that the third picture posted above shows a graffiti adjacent to the first one shown here. The third one above was added later but the artists took great care not to paint over the older one.
The two shown in this post are still there.

The place itself is not a place many people would go. It is part of an old tramway line leading to an old, closed tunnel. If you want to see this, you have to know it and go there.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

One from yesterday in a more accessible place than the ones shown before - close to Haus der Kunst.

Michael,

This picture is wonderful. But I do flinch a tad when I realize that this is on porous structural concrete and it is essentially a permanent change. I can see that they do this with a stencil but what about the colored brain. I guess they just use 3 spray cans for that.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

This picture is wonderful. But I do flinch a tad when I realize that this is on porous structural concrete and it is essentially a permanent change. I can see that they do this with a stencil but what about the colored brain. I guess they just use 3 spray cans for that.
The wall seems to be coated at this place - nothing is permanent...

Yes, she's cute, 4 sure! The sign is in hebrew on the bag, top line it says, "Look" but perhaps his pattern of writing is accidentally that.
The paper was weathered - this is probably accidental.

Anyway, I'd love to know the meaning of the Clou works with the black "surprised-where-he-is" cowboy king! Is that Obama?
What are you referring to?

Best regards,
Michael