• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Round & Round

Robert Watcher

I bought a like-new (347 shutter count) Olympus E-M10 mkiii last night to compliment my first generation E-M10’s

The features appealing to me, were the improved video (including 4K) and image stabilization that is very close to using a gimbal. I realized a few other changes that I will value as well.

Anne and I headed to an area called Little Lakes, and I had Anne drive around the perimeter while I sat in the passenger side aiming the camera out the window. Here is the simple, but interesting resulting video. I used my 4/3 Olympus 11-22 f2.8/3.2 lens and processed the video Using LumaFusion on my iPad.

Another rambling video - Never Ending

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

No Tripod Used. Just hand-held video, which benefits so much from Olympus’ awesome image stabilization. A good thing. I’m not very steady holding a camera, and the smoothing effect is really recognizable on all the footage driving along Bumpy gravel roads. There is some up and down movement, but I was able to keep a horizontal line in the same area of the frame, and keep away from the severe jerking from me being bounced around in the car as I aimed my camera out the window. Video was assembled on my iPad with the LumaFusion app. There is no stabilizing ability within that app - so the smoothness in the footage is a result of the camera’s IBIS

Jerome Marot

I bought a like-new (347 shutter count) Olympus E-M10 mkiii last night to compliment my first generation E-M10’s

The features appealing to me, were the improved video (including 4K) and image stabilization that is very close to using a gimbal.

What will you use the improved video for, if I may ask?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

Superb and beautiful.

Equivalent to 5 hours on a therapist couch, LOL!

I am so impressed with the smoothness. So what was the car speed? Seems it was slow, or you shoot at a much higher shutter speed and then slow it down?

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

Superb and beautiful.

Equivalent to 5 hours on a therapist couch, LOL!

I am so impressed with the smoothness. So what was the car speed? Seems it was slow, or you shoot at a much higher shutter speed and then slow it down?

Asher

thank you Asher. Anne said she was driving around 8-10 miles per hour —- slow enough, but not too slow when you are trying to hold a camera steady and keep a horizon level at the same position in the frame, while twisted sideways making sure my arms weren’t resting on anything that would transmit the bumps and jerks of the car through into the camera. This footage is not slowed down, even though the smoothness does look a bit like what you would get from shooting at 60fps or higher and slowing it down In playback. It is shot and saved at 24fps.

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

What will you use the improved video for, if I may ask?

I have shot many short videos - sometimes little documentaries for years, that are unpolished by most standards today, and spur of the moment. In the past I included shorts clips with still images in my professional portrait work. Almost always, I am using the gear that I have with me on location which hasn’t always contained the best of abilities - and always handheld. I will continue to do the same in my travels. I also have hundreds of unlisted videos of musical performances or events of family and friends, that only for personal viewing. The higher video quality and gimbal like stabilization will make all of these more enjoyable to watch.

this is an example of the short documentary pieces that I have made:

This is the type of video inclusion in my professional portrait work:

Jerome Marot

I have shot many short videos - sometimes little documentaries for years, that are unpolished by most standards today, and spur of the moment. In the past I included shorts clips with still images in my professional portrait work. Almost always, I am using the gear that I have with me on location which hasn’t always contained the best of abilities - and always handheld. I will continue to do the same in my travels. I also have hundreds of unlisted videos of musical performances or events of family and friends, that only for personal viewing. The higher video quality and gimbal like stabilization will make all of these more enjoyable to watch.

You attached a youtube video to the original post. Before I asked my question, I noticed the other videos available under your youtube i.d., including some musical performances. There is a long list of videos available to anyone. As you wrote above that the videos are "only for personal viewing", now I wonder whether I have found a data leak. You may want to check what is available under your i.d. when not logged in.

Also: I still do not understand what the new camera will be used for. Sure the new camera has impressive stabilisation, but that is only one thing. What is the plan?

Robert Watcher

Also: I still do not understand what the new camera will be used for. Sure the new camera has impressive stabilisation, but that is only one thing. What is the plan?

I’m not sure what you are asking. I photograph every day. For 40 years that has been my profession and means of making a livelihood for my family. Over the past 12 years, the focus has moved away from my professional work, but I still shoot in the streets and capture everything that interests me - whether that be the 8 to 9 months each year that my wife and I live and explore in Central America, or when we are home in Canada. Photography is my passion. You need cameras and lenses to take pictures. LOL

I wanted a new camera because my other ones are old and have problems - one does not work reliably. I put a to. Of mileage on them. That’s the reason. I happened to look on Kijiji (classified ads) and found a fellow not far away with this body. That fact that I was able to jump two models to almost brand new at half the cost was awesome - and to have such improved video capabilities is a bonus.

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

You attached a youtube video to the original post. Before I asked my question, I noticed the other videos available under your youtube i.d., including some musical performances. There is a long list of videos available to anyone. As you wrote above that the videos are "only for personal viewing", now I wonder whether I have found a data leak. You may want to check what is available under your i.d. when not logged in.

thank you very much for that insight Jerome.

indeed YouTube has a very serious security flaw there. I like probably everyone that posts on YouTube, presumes that by setting the Privacy setting of a video to Unlisted, that it cannot been seen by anyone unless they use a link to access the video. In fact when I upload a video, my preset setting is Unlisted in case I don’t want to make it public or need to make changes to the Title or Description - in which case I will set it to Public so everyone has access. I also have some set as Private, but those are videos that only I can access.

I could not believe my eyes when I logged out and could see all Unlisted Videos. I didn’t know what was going on or what to do. I did a search on Google and found the video below. Apparently, when Unlisted vides are added to a Playlist, they become available to everyone. That is unacceptable Iwould think.

it has taken me forever to go through all of my hundreds of videos individually and remove them from Playlists, log out and back in to verify they aren’t showing. On some Playlists, I went through and deleted every video from the playlist - only to have them show back up in the playlist. After two and on one playlist, three attempts I was able to clear them. It was an effort of frustration. But I am hoping I got it figured out now.

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

I’m not sure what you are asking. I photograph every day. For 40 years that has been my profession and means of making a livelihood for my family. Over the past 12 years, the focus has moved away from my professional work, but I still shoot in the streets and capture everything that interests me - whether that be the 8 to 9 months each year that my wife and I live and explore in Central America, or when we are home in Canada. Photography is my passion. You need cameras and lenses to take pictures. LOL

I wanted a new camera because my other ones are old and have problems - one does not work reliably. I put a to. Of mileage on them. That’s the reason. I happened to look on Kijiji (classified ads) and found a fellow not far away with this body. That fact that I was able to jump two models to almost brand new at half the cost was awesome - and to have such improved video capabilities is a bonus.

Now I understand better. I was under the impression that you bought that camera because you had a specific video project in mind. Of course you can buy a new camera just because photography is your passion. I have been known to do the same myself.

The number of youtube videos that I can access under your i.d. is reduced and I cannot see musical performances any more, but there are still quite a few videos from 8 to 10 years ago. As to google making your videos available to anyone, do not forget that the point of you tube is to have free video content for google to publish. They do not want your videos to be private.