• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sierra and Plumas Counties, California

Doug Herr

American Dipper, Sierra County California
a7rIII, 100-400 GM

amdipp08.jpg

Wilson's Snipe, Plumas County California
a7rIII, 100-400 GM

wisnip08.jpg

Ruddy Duck, Plumas County California
a7rIII, 100-400 GM

ruduck06.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Ruddy Duck, Plumas County California
a7rIII, 100-400 GM​

Doug,

I would never have imagined seeing this handsome duck with a sky blue beak! The reflection breaks up the still water.

I don’t understand how raptors could possibly miss fixing their hunting eyes on them and plummet down to grab them!

Or do raptors not want to crash down on water as it would break their fragile rib cages?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Ruddy Ducks can dive on very short notice, and most of the time they're hidden in marsh veggies.
Doug,

That’s an interesting adaption for survival, indeed! I just remember, that the structure of the force axis for an eagle is from its claws and feet through its spine. The chest itself can be crushed easilly!

But how do they get a rabbit? Well the rabbit can’t dive, LOL!

I guess for the duck, it only has to reach a depth of 13” and it’s safe!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Doug Herr:Wilson's Snipe
Plumas County California
a7rIII, 100-400 GM

I remembered you had posted one of several snipes we’d seen before. Perhaps not the same sub-species:

Doug Herr: Snipe Singing

So beautiful!

Of course you remember this one, Doug?

I now will search for the song!

Asher

Asher Kelman

A good description of these related by varied and diverse shore birds here

Snipe, any of about 20 species belonging to the shorebird family Scolopacidae (order Charadriiformes). Snipes frequent wet meadows and marshes and occur in temperate and warm regions worldwide. They are short-legged, long-billed, chunky birds that are striped and barred in brown, black, and white. The wings are pointed and angular, the eyes rear-set. The bill is flexible and is used to probe mud for worms.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Doug,

Wonderful shots of amazing birds.

The shot of the Wilson's snipe is especially nice, in that the surrounding grass is so visible and so clearly shows the environment yet somehow doesn't obscure the subject!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

So cool to see birds that we never see here where I live. The ruddy duck almost looks comical with its blue beak and little tufts of head feathers - like a bad hair day. I even like the American Dipper with its huge feet and exquisite detail of the feathers. Thank you for sharing! :) Maggie