• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Still Life with Peaches

Weather has not been nice all summer. Rain, rain and more rain. Today there was no rain but very cold.
So I resort to doing what I often do, find something inside and do a set-up.

I have some lovely peaches that just were begging to be photographed.
Hope you enjoy.
:)
Maggie
peches.jpg

peachesandblues.jpg

I would love some of that cold weather.
I too am a big fan of the treatment in these. The first is definitely my favorite but in both, the color is wonderful and the peaches look good enough to eat. I'm slightly OCD so my brain is slapping me saying it wishes it could see the tops of the flowers in that second one. My brain will get over it. Beautiful studies that I could have taken for great paintings.
James

I would love some of that cold weather.
I too am a big fan of the treatment in these. The first is definitely my favorite but in both, the color is wonderful and the peaches look good enough to eat. I'm slightly OCD so my brain is slapping me saying it wishes it could see the tops of the flowers in that second one. My brain will get over it. Beautiful studies that I could have taken for great paintings.
James

Thank you James. I know, I struggled with the idea of perhaps cloning the bouquet back, but then decided to leave it as is. I did have different shots, some vertical where the peaches were cut but I preferred this and a few shots some with green apples, but the metal pot was too square to the frame and not as interesting as seen on a slight angle with the lid open. Oh, and those peaches; they are SO yummy! Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Weather has not been nice all summer. Rain, rain and more rain. Today there was no rain but very cold.

Hope you enjoy.
Maggie

peches.jpg

peachesandblues.jpg

Maggie,

Romantic has been used. Well that's a nice description and sums up a first impression. I was a little disappointed that I'd not thought of that!

I liked that description, but asked myself what I'd describe instead. My feelings are that these arrangements are feminine. Peaches are there, but not as peaches, but as rich bundles of yellow, orange, red, purple embedded in some sienna to be counterpoint for the spicules of plants in the first and the Monet dots of flowers in the second.

You must never take androgens!

Asher

peches.jpg

peachesandblues.jpg

Maggie,

Romantic has been used. Well that's a nice description and sums up a first impression. I was a little disappointed that I'd not thought of that!

I liked that description, but asked myself what I'd describe instead. My feelings are that these arrangements are feminine. Peaches are there, but not as peaches, but as rich bundles of yellow, orange, red, purple embedded in some sienna to be counterpoint for the spicules of plants in the first and the Monet dots of flowers in the second.

You must never take androgens!

Asher

Thank you, Asher. You are so kind! Oh, and ha!... I had to look up androgens, hehe, I can promise you, that will never, ever happen! :-D
Thank you for your heartfelt comments. :) Maggie

Rick Waldroup

These are simply superb. It is the soft, dreamy color that really grabs the viewer's attention. It reminds me of the Polaroid color work by Marie Cosindas.

Great stuff, Maggie.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Maggie,

I'll join the others in their compliments, great job, especially the tonality. Strangely, I find myself being more attracted to the curtains and the light from the window. Thanks for sharing.

Asher Kelman

Hi Maggie,

Could it be that that cyan colors from the curtains permeate everything else.

peches.jpg

Original

peches copy.jpg

Color Corrected

Now, I'm not saying that the picture needs this adjustment, rather that the suffusion of cyans might be joining everything to the gentle curtains as the mother of things there. By contrast, in the second picture, the peaches are much more independent.

So while these are two different sets of ambience, I am not saying one is correct. Solely this; that there are consequent to these conditions, diverse esthetic experience for the view from to each approach.

Asher

Hi Maggie,

Could it be that that cyan colors from the curtains permeate everything else.

peches.jpg

Original

peches copy.jpg

Color Corrected

Now, I'm not saying that the picture needs this adjustment, rather that the suffusion of cyans might be joining everything to the gentle curtains as the mother of things there. By contrast, in the second picture, the peaches are much more independent.

So while these are two different sets of ambience, I am not saying one is correct. Solely this; that there are consequent to these conditions, diverse esthetic experience for the view from to each approach.

Asher

Hi Asher,
Oddly enough, I was just responding to Cem that I actually added this cyan tonality because I felt it gave it the mood I wanted of softness and serenity and wanted to steer away from a more grey feeling and felt it played off the peachy color nicely. Obviously, another person such as yourself may have taken a different route and chosen to post-process differently. I think there are no right or wrong answers in this one, just different people would make different decisions. I do, however think you choice also looks very good. :)
Maggie

Asher Kelman

Hi Maggie,

I didn't make any choices but my interest was piqued by Cem's remark suggesting in my mind, the sovereignty of the curtains. Only then I realized that the cyan tone was there and might be responsible for that transfer of emphasis on the reality of peaches to some magic evenly spread over the picture. So I became interested in the anatomy of this change, but did not root for one over the other. "My version" is merely a fairly objective attempt at examining what the picture might show with no color cast.

I've learned a lot from your picture, Cem's attention to the curtains and the realization that embedding everything within a common matrix can bring magic to the image.

Don't alter what you do because of any of my feedback. Not that you're likely to do that, but I wish to emphasize to everyone that I am not advocating that there's even a choice here. You have made your picture and it works.

For me, realizing how that magic arrived is something so wonderful.

Asher

Hi Maggie,

I didn't make any choices but my interest was piqued by Cem's remark suggesting in my mind, the sovereignty of the curtains. Only then I realized that the cyan tone was there and might be responsible for that transfer of emphasis on the reality of peaches to some magic evenly spread over the picture. So I became interested in the anatomy of this change, but did not root for one over the other. "My version" is merely a fairly objective attempt at examining what the picture might show with no color cast.

I've learned a lot from your picture, Cem's attention to the curtains and the realization that embedding everything within a common matrix can bring magic to the image.

Don't alter what you do because of any of my feedback. Not that you're likely to do that, but I wish to emphasize to everyone that I am not advocating that there's even a choice here. You have made your picture and it works.

For me, realizing how that magic arrived is something so wonderful.

Asher

Hi Asher,
I wasn't thinking you wanted me to change it, just wanted to explain that it wasn't an incorrect color balance issue, that I actually added it for the effect. I am hoping to play around and experiment with color more in the future so you may see more of this coming your way. :-D

Paul Abbott

Very very nice images, Maggie. No matter what the colour balance...You have a great eye for a set up too, nice one.

I can't believe you've had so much rainy weather at this time, Maggie. I used to live in Fredericton, New Brunswick with my father and when I was out there we used to have the most wickedly hot summers...anyway, he still lives there and i'm back here. :)

Very very nice images, Maggie. No matter what the colour balance...You have a great eye for a set up too, nice one.

I can't believe you've had so much rainy weather at this time, Maggie. I used to live in Fredericton, New Brunswick with my father and when I was out there we used to have the most wickedly hot summers...anyway, he still lives there and i'm back here. :)

Thank you, Paul. I'm glad you enjoy the photos. :)

As for weather, this year has been very odd. We've had more rain this summer than I can ever remember. It's crazy. Last year we had such a dry summer and I think 13-14 heat waves; so very different. 2 days ago, I got up it was 4C out! ouch :p

Jerome Marot

Hope you enjoy.
Maggie
peches.jpg

peachesandblues.jpg

It took me a while to realize it: Rinko Kawauchi.

It took me a while to realize it: Rinko Kawauchi.

Hi Jerome,

I had not heard of this photographer before and I did check her out and although quite lovely, not sure why the comparison. I've never been compared to someone before so I'd love to know what it is, the colors? the everday subject matter?

Kindly,
Maggie

Jerome Marot

I had not heard of this photographer before and I did check her out and although quite lovely, not sure why the comparison. I've never been compared to someone before so I'd love to know what it is, the colors? the everday subject matter?

The colors on the peaches are what caught my eye first, and the blue-pink harmony is indeed used by Rinko Kawauchi. But the real reason is the way you approach the subject and that concerns also, for example, your pictures of gardens. It is everyday subject matter, but from some kind of ideal everyday. With Rinko Kawauchi I have a glimpse of Japan, not as it really is, but as we dream it to be. With your pictures, I have a glimpse of Canada, not as it really is, but as we dream it to be. And, if you excuse me for that comment, there is also the feminine touch. Men and women to not make the same kind of pictures, in this case because they do not relate to objects in the same manner.

The colors on the peaches are what caught my eye first, and the blue-pink harmony is indeed used by Rinko Kawauchi. But the real reason is the way you approach the subject and that concerns also, for example, your pictures of gardens. It is everyday subject matter, but from some kind of ideal everyday. With Rinko Kawauchi I have a glimpse of Japan, not as it really is, but as we dream it to be. With your pictures, I have a glimpse of Canada, not as it really is, but as we dream it to be. And, if you excuse me for that comment, there is also the feminine touch. Men and women to not make the same kind of pictures, in this case because they do not relate to objects in the same manner.

Thank you, Jerome, for elaborating.

You are right, I like to take pictures of the beauty that is just in a little corner of the yard. There may be a pile of dirty dishes to be done in the kitchen, but I won't show you that. I am a romantic and I'm sure my feminine side always shows.

I sometimes feel looking at the type of images I do, that they are not edgy enough and do not show the harsher more real side of life as most photographers show. Many photographers go to wonderful exotic places and take beautiful pictures of amazing vistas and scenery but from their own back yard, they show the garbage in the street, the wet clothes on the line outside and the messy corner of the kitchen. When I see these, I think .. oh how amazing that they have captured real life, they have made a social comment with their work. They force me to see more clearly.

The work is so different from mine but I admire it. When photographing, somehow I seem to gravitate to the opposite type of images; looking for the emotional echoes in an empty bench or the softness of the light on the velvet of a peach.

Thank you, again, Jerome, for coming back to comment. So helpful to me because it makes me step back and realize that I cannot really help how my feminine sensitivities pull me toward certain subjects and how I treat them and that I should NOT worry so much about how un-edgy they are, because they really do reflect who I am, not only as an artist, but as a person and how I should embrace that fact.