• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Strictly For The Birds

Tony Britton

Hello,

I wanted to share my favorite bird, and occasional duck, photos with you. I prefer portrait style captures whenever possible and utilize side-lighting in a vast majority of my photographs. All photos were taken hand-held and have not been cropped.

1. Double-crested Cormorant

2016%20britton-M.jpg

2. Great Blue Heron

Great%20Blue%20Heron%20Tony%20Britton%202014-M.jpg

3. Black-crowned Night Heron

IMG_0454-M.jpg

I hope you enjoy my collection.

Best regards,
Tony

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hello,

I wanted to share my favorite bird, and occasional duck, photos with you. I prefer portrait style captures whenever possible and utilize side-lighting in a vast majority of my photographs. All photos were taken hand-held and have not been cropped.

2016%20britton-M.jpg

2. Great Blue Heron

IMG_0454-M.jpg

Interesting style, Tony. I wouldn't have thought that landscape format would be such an harmonious fit for such portraits. But it's the commonality of the long beaks that make the case for this effective presentation. I know some birders use Better Beamer flash extenders to reach birds framed by their telephoto lenses.

So how do you light these so effectively. Is it just choosing the time of day and angle and a lot of waiting?

Asher

Tony Britton

Interesting style, Tony. I wouldn't have thought that landscape format would be such an harmonious fit for such portraits. But it's the commonality of the long beaks that make the case for this effective presentation. I know some birders use Better Beamer flash extenders to reach birds framed by their telephoto lenses.

So how do you light these so effectively. Is it just choosing the time of day and angle and a lot of waiting?

Asher

Hi Asher. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

The "look" or style I favor in my photography is mainly the marriage between side-lighting provided by early morning or late afternoon sunlight and the intentional use of "negative" exposure compensation. I do not use a flash or any other external light source. Fast shutter speeds ensure sharp images by minimizing hand-held camera shake. Like many photographers, I've simply embraced a style and set of strategies that allow me to consistently capture the types of images I find appealing. I know how I want the image to appear well before I press the shutter. Each day I'm learning the profound difference between making a photograph and taking a photograph.

Tony

"My wife and I make the perfect point-and-shoot photography team. She points and I shoot!"

Tony Britton

Here's a few more examples of the effect I like by combining side-lighting of the subject and negative exposure compensation. Hand-held, no cropping.

1. Great Blue Heron

2016dgrinbritton%20%288%29-M.jpg

2. Double-crested Cormorant

cormorants2016-M.jpg

IMG_7502-M.jpg

4. Green Heron

bestwestlake2016tbritton-M.jpg

5. Wood Duck

woodducks2016britton-M.jpg

6. Snowy Egret​

2016se-M.jpg

Asher Kelman

Here's a few more examples of the effect I like by combining side-lighting of the subject and negative exposure compensation. Hand-held, no cropping.

1. Great Blue Heron

2016dgrinbritton%20%288%29-M.jpg

cormorants2016-M.jpg

IMG_7502-M.jpg

4. Green Heron

bestwestlake2016tbritton-M.jpg

5. Wood Duck

woodducks2016britton-M.jpg

6. Snowy Egret​

2016se-M.jpg

Tony,

This style, (of negative exposure compensation and side light weighting), is very similar to the lighting I use for models against a black back drop. Now I will have to post more examples, LOL. I like the richer colors and the clear demarcation of form and removal of so much clutter!

Keep it up!

Asher

Tony Britton

Tony,

This style, (of negative exposure compensation and side light weighting), is very similar to the lighting I use for models against a black back drop. Now I will have to post more examples, LOL. I like the richer colors and the clear demarcation of form and removal of so much clutter!

Keep it up!

Asher

Hi Asher,

Yes, while this side-lighting technique I use outdoors might not meet the precise criteria to qualify it as studio "Rembrandt Lighting" it's close enough for me!

Tony

Tony Britton

1. Snowy Egret Ballet

Snowy%20Egret%20Series%20tony%20brittonphotography%202016-L.jpg

DSCN0289-M.jpg

3. Common Merganser

i-4Q6GrmW-M.jpg

4. Ring-billed Gull

ring-billed%20gull%20britton2016-M.jpg

5. Great Egret

DGRIN2016Britton%20%2811%29-M.jpg

6. Green Heron

greenheronbritton2015-M.jpg

Asher Kelman

Tony,

This collection is both rich and educational for me. I promise to look up every single bird as each image here I know represents a huge investment in your time and skill to share with us all this abundant beauty.

This is quite amazing, but a small portion of the beauty we still have left on this wonderful
Planet!

Asher

Tony Britton

Tony,

This collection is both rich and educational for me. I promise to look up every single bird as each image here I know represents a huge investment in your time and skill to share with us all this abundant beauty.

This is quite amazing, but a small portion of the beauty we still have left on this wonderful
Planet!

Asher

Thank you for your generous support of my contributions here. It's such an honor and privilege to stand in the presence of these beautiful birds, which truly are living works of art!

Tony

Tony Britton

I hope you'll enjoy this set. Hand-held, no cropping.

1. Snowy Egret

audubon2015tonybritton%20%2814%29-M.jpg

2. Red-tailed Hawk

IMG_4084-M.jpg

3. Brown Pelican

britony%20%282%29-M.jpg

4. Double-crested Cormorant

glorious%20cormorant-L.jpg

5. Snowy Egret

snowyegretprofiletonybritton2016-L.jpg

6. Red-shouldered Hawk

IMG_6563-M.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tony,

I hope you'll enjoy this set. Hand-held, no cropping.

All stunning, each in its own way.

The Snowy Egret certainly takes one of the prizes!

People often mock these very convenient smaller-sensor cameras (Canon PowerShot SX40 and SX50) but we see here beautiful work from them.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Tony Britton

Hi, Tony,

All stunning, each in its own way.

The Snowy Egret certainly takes one of the prizes!

People often mock these very convenient smaller-sensor cameras (Canon PowerShot SX40 and SX50) but we see here beautiful work from them.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it very much.

Wishing you happiness and success in your photography.

Tony

Tony Britton

I hope you enjoy these. Hand-held, no cropping.

Tony

2016cormorantseriesbritton-M.jpg

2. Black-crowned Night Heron

2016tb%20%282%29-M.jpg

3. Snowy Egret

DSCN3049-M.jpg

4. Great Blue Heron

canonbritton2016-M.jpg

5. Black Oystercatcher

blackoystercatcherbritton2016-M.jpg

6. Red-shouldered Hawk

IMG_6719-M.jpg

Tony Britton

Black & White For Your Delight!

A set of my favorite black & white conversions.

1. Great Blue Heron

bwheronbritton-M.jpg

2. Snowy Egret

black%26white%20gallery%20brittontony-M.jpg

3. Great Egret

Great%20Egret%20Black%20and%20White%202016-M.jpg

4. Double-crested Cormorant

bwcorm2016-L.jpg

5. Snowy Egret

britton2016bw-M.jpg

6. Great Blue Heron

bw2016%20%281%29-M.jpg

Tony Britton

A few more wild bird photos I hope you'll enjoy. Hand-held, no cropping. Sony DSC-RX10 M3.

Great Blue Heron
DSC07378-M.jpg

Snowy Egret

DSC08460-M.jpg

Double-crested Cormorant
DSC02178-M.jpg

Asher Kelman

Tony,

I can’t say enough of how delighted we are to have you share your fabulous pictures with us. You seem to favor with Raptors and birds adjacent to water. Are you in a lake of river area that’s you “go to” shooting place, or you travel widely?

I commend you to look at the fine work here of Don Ferguson, Metal Airframe & Live birds, (USA), Doug Herr, (USA), Peter Dexter, (Colombia), Robert Watcher, (Canada), Chris Calohan, (USA), and others who also excel in fine bird photography

Asher

Asher Kelman

A few more wild bird photos I hope you'll enjoy. Hand-held, no cropping. Sony DSC-RX10 M3.

Great Blue Heron
DSC07378-M.jpg

Snowy Egret

DSC08460-M.jpg

Double-crested Cormorant
DSC02178-M.jpg

Tony,

it’s simply amazing to me that you succeed so well with the Delightful Sony RX10 M-3!

How do you manage with small birds in a tree and do you use a flash with a “Better Beamer” for birds in the shadows.

Asher

Tony Britton

Tony,

it’s simply amazing to me that you succeed so well with the Delightful Sony RX10 M-3!

How do you manage with small birds in a tree and do you use a flash with a “Better Beamer” for birds in the shadows.

Asher
Thanks, Asher. The Sony is fantastic! I really don't have a keen interest in photographing small birds and I'm always looking for opportunities to photograph birds in partial shadow. My favorite image involves the use of side-light and a portrait capture.

Here's a few examples of what I most enjoy.

Rock Pigeons Canon SX50
rockpigeons2018-M.jpg

Snowy Egret Nikon P610
DSCN2184-M.jpg

Western Gull Sony DSC-RX10 M3
DSC05758-M.jpg

Black-crowned Night Heron Canon SX50
IMG_5250-M.jpg

Great Blue Heron
Canon SX50
IMG_6297-M.jpg

Western Gull Canon SX50
IMG_7806-M.jpg

Last edited:

Tony Britton

Here's a few more I hope you'll enjoy. Hand-held, no cropping.

Brown Pelican
IMG_5287-L.jpg

Muscovy Duck
muscovy2016-M.jpg

Brandt's Cormorant

DSCN1552-M.jpg

Western Gull
IMG_4670-M.jpg

Double-crested Cormorant
IMG_8825-M.jpg

Asher Kelman

Tony,

Done far better than I’d have imagined. But how often were the longest focal lengths easily handheld?

Haven’t you been sorely tempted to use an Olympus MFT with a 600 mm equivalent superb lens?

Asher

Tony Britton

Asher,

I haven't had any real issues with photos taken at the extreme focal lengths with either camera. Every bird and animal photo I've ever taken were hand-held captures, with the majority at maximum focal length. Now, that's maximum focal lengths with subjects often less than 10 feet from me. When I decided which type of bird photo pleased me the most (portraits), I scouted location after location to find areas where birds such as herons and cormorants had best habituated to the presence of humans. Coastal harbors and lakes, for example. I can get ridiculously close to these birds and it has absolutely nothing to do with my anchovy-scented cologne! Honestly!

Best,

Tony

Tony Britton

A few wide-angle shots I hope you'll enjoy. Canon and Nikon superzooms. Hand-held, no cropping.

Allen's Hummingbird
IMG_5309%20%285%29-M.jpg

Green Heron
zenmasterbritton2016%20%285%29-L.jpg

Western Grebe
grebes2016dgrinbrittont-M.jpg

Great Egret
GreatEgretTonyBritton2016-L.jpg

Snowy Egret
cliff%20egretbritton-M.jpg

Brown Pelican
DSCN2269-L.jpg

Peter Dexter

So many wonderful images to take in but I especially enjoy the portrait of the Snowy Egret where it appears he has stuck his toe in a n electric socket.:D

Tony Britton

So many wonderful images to take in but I especially enjoy the portrait of the Snowy Egret where it appears he has stuck his toe in a n electric socket.:D
Hi Peter,

Thanks so much for commenting. Yes, that Snowy is sporting quite a hairdo, or featherdo more precisely!

Tony

Asher Kelman

We are so blessed with such a rich planet. Your work Tony is a showcase of unparalleled beauty!

I intend to gradually share these wonders with my grandchildren.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hello,

2016%20britton-M.jpg

2. Great Blue Heron

IMG_0454-M.jpg

Best regards,
Tony

Tony,

These pictures are a joy to browse and
Your obvious dedication to presenting natural behaviors and the beauty in great detail comes through: a great contribution!

Thanks!

But this success not only points out your skill but in addition the need to upgrade our assessment of superzoom cameras.

Now that you are so experienced can you share where this system is limited. Have you commonly succeeded with “Birds in Flight“?

What ISO levels are usable with these systems as does one brand do better than another in image quality, robustness of the files you editing, low light focus, (what is low light here, (how many -EV)?

What would you recommend concentrating on the challenges of shooting small birds in trees?

Asher