• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tess, nude model, chasing a red ball (NSFW)

Lighting
Main light: 550WS 84" umbrella box, front, left, slightly above
Back light: 300WS 84" silver umbrella, back, right, slightly above
Hair light:100WS 40-deg grid, above and behind on boom arm

Settings
f/8. 1/200 sec. 33mm focal length; ISO 100

Model
Tess I. Age 24, Height: 5'5", 105 lbs., 34C-24-34

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Lighting
Main light: 550WS 84" umbrella box, front, left, slightly above
Back light: 300WS 84" silver umbrella, back, right, slightly above
Hair light:100WS 40-deg grid, above and behind on boom arm

Settings
f/8. 1/200 sec. 33mm focal length; ISO 100

Model
Tess I. Age 24, Height: 5'5", 105 lbs., 34C-24-34

A.K.,

First let's see the picture at a decent size:

nude-model-01.jpg

A.K. Nicholas: Tess chasing a red ball

The concept is great, having the form follow a purpose, rather than a pose created for the desired shape. Ideally, one could then not show the ball as the movement and her arm gesture would tell us the ball was there. So this is something one might work on with and without the ball. I really hope that the idea here is carried further with many more images.

You have very capable lighting for your setup but perhaps one could alter the angles so that the left side 84" light is very low and shining upwards. Currently the strongest feature in the picture, after the stationary ball is the high contrast face and hair with a triangle of her well-lit left shoulder coming up 3rd.

The overall smooth energetic gesture of her body towards the ball needs to be seen as one smoothly coordinated intention, like blowing a kiss!

Asher

Rachel Foster

My overall naive reaction to this is that there are more graceful poses for the human body. I think perhaps that may be because I don't know what your goal was. Having the form determined by the purpose is a good idea, but again, a more gracefully presented form?

Abhijit Biswas

A. K,

This is a dynamic subject. But it looks so static to me. She seems little bored with what she is doing. I am not sure if you needed her left hand posed the way it is.

She is a great model and I see a lot of potential here. I agree with Asher and Rachel above. Keep shooting and I would like to see some great work with her from you.

Thanks,
Abhijit
www.exposurebits.com

Thanks for the reactions. The lack of grace is one of the things that made me choose this one. To me it's almost like a wax figure instead of a human.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks for the reactions. The lack of grace is one of the things that made me choose this one. To me it's almost like a wax figure instead of a human.

Anyone competent in photography and lighting can reproduce graceful forms if they have the right model. Departing from that, having action determine the form seems to me a greater challenge. This combines sport photography with traditional posed forms.

So the fact that it's not graceful is no surprise. Think of it, Edwards Weston spent months photographing two shells, one on the other. Your project is worthy and no less difficult. Weston's task was made hard since he relied on natural light for which he had to wait all day, hoping no one in the house would slam a door or draw and alter the balance of his shells.

At least you have your own lights!

Asher