• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

This was my first attempt at astrophotography

Jim Olson

I took this shot the other night in my backyard. I think it's okay for a first attempt. Also got a meteor in the shot

59037.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim Olson

I have an app on my iPhone, Image Size which I recommend just for this purpose!
Most of the time I just edit on my laptop, but it has seen better days. So while I was reinstalling Windows & Linux on my wife's old laptop, I did download a program to my Android phone to resize.

Jim Olson

What is the technique you are using: long exposure and prayer, a tracker or what?

Asher
Yes to both long exp and prayer. My exp was 30 sec (but it was to long for my lens) I should not go over 28 sec, but I wasn't really seeing it with the LCD display.

After I downloaded I saw that I should have used the 25 sec to play it safe. No tracker. But I did have fun playing around with it. I'll try again but we have smoke from the Cal fires so it won't be tonight.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Funny Question, actually :)

On some busy nights, chances are relatively high if the exposure is long enough.
Rene,

I actually had no idea of the frequency of meteors! But our solar system is obviously a very busy place!

Asher