• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wale beach under very harsh light

Antonio Correia

In the beginning of the XXth Century during Summer, people lived in this beach chasing wales which were appearing nearby.
These days, of course...

The light is very harsh but the way way not better. Many pebbles make it hard and dangerous. The Sun was very bright and strong, also.

i-c2XtcGr-X4.jpg

Antonio Correia

The wall on the left have been there for a long time. I am sure about that as it was a house.
The fishers lived there during the period of the year wales were in the area. They were coming to the beach by boat.
the other wall on the right I do not know as it looks like it has been made of concrete...

i-mp2qj56-X4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I just realized that this a beach to catch whales? NOT a place called “Wale Beach”

So nat I correct the title of your thread?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Perhaps the title is wrong. Yes, it is not the exact name of the beach
Indeed the Portuguese name for the beach is "Praia da baleeira"
"Baleeira" is the life-boat word derived from "baleia"
Let's think this way: When fishermen wanted to go chasing whales they went into a boat. And that boat was not a common one but a specific.
It is the whaling-boat !

The beach is "The Whaling-boat beach"
Along the coast there was many sites where fishermen were capturing fish and whales when they were available at the beginning of the XXth century.
As time went by and with the increase of the exploitation of the seas the whales most probably pass too far away.
In the early years this area was very rich in fish, but now...
Fishermen used to "camp" in this beach for some period of the year and when there were no whales, they moved to the countryside to farm.

To get there it was not an easy walk. Many rocks on the way and a great slope !

i-ttV4gxM-X4.jpg

Asher Kelman

Perhaps the title is wrong. Yes, it is not the exact name of the beach
Indeed the Portuguese name for the beach is "Praia da baleeira"
"Baleeira" is the life-boat word derived from "baleia"
Let's think this way: When fishermen wanted to go chasing whales they went into a boat. And that boat was not a common one but a specific.
It is the whaling-boat !

The beach is "The Whaling-boat beach"
Along the coast there was many sites where fishermen were capturing fish and whales when they were available at the beginning of the XXth century.
As time went by and with the increase of the exploitation of the seas the whales most probably pass too far away.
In the early years this area was very rich in fish, but now...
Fishermen used to "camp" in this beach for some period of the year and when there were no whales, they moved to the countryside to farm.

To get there it was not an easy walk. Many rocks on the way and a great slope !

i-ttV4gxM-X4.jpg
Antonio,

on the East Coast of the USA off the State of Maine, there are many such fisherman’s islands. They overfished and then guess what! They accidentally created a dreamworld for lobsters, that expanded their breeding areas and now the best lobsters are caught there! Many kilos a day.

But now they are wiser. You need a licence and it’s regulated just how many you can pull out a day. No babies !

That’s what needed!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Don’t make it the last! What is above this and behind us!

What a marvelous inlet and superb rocks for beautiful mermaids to frolic on!

Asher

Asher Kelman

So you were using the A7 III! It’s superb in detailing all the rocks so well and the highlights are kept!

I have been exploring this one picture for 30 minutes. One could spend all day there and return to find new images as there’s so many perspectives possible.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, the quality of these images is shared by the Sony A7III and the great, superb, magnificent :LOL: Sony 24mm f/1.4 GM prime !

Now, I only shoot with primes. (y)

Asher Kelman

Yes, these are remarkable for their rich color and detail. So that means that you can start a new project, just like Robert Watcher did in lock-doen. He mined pictures with new software and for new inspiration.

Your pictures of this unique inlet and beach with fabulous grasses, wild plants and rocks can, without any further traveling give you a gallery of new compositions. It’s that GM lens and the wide angle!

I should do the same, use uktrawide angle with my own fine cameras!

Amazing!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Today I will receive the also great, superb, magnificent Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8
I am expecting great results !
We will see !

Asher Kelman

Today I will receive the also great, superb, magnificent Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8
I am expecting great results !
We will see !
Looking at the results, these fine lenses on your camera open up a second phase in photography.

it starts when you get a glass of wine, put on music and sit in front of a large calibrated monitor and begin a new journey!

You will find images waiting for you to capture as if you were there with an 80 mm lens, everything close and personal!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, we went to "Praia da baleeira" with someone who knows a lot of history of Setúbal.
Today he posted a photo of a map from 1561 where we can see the beach marked.

i-dGBpp6h-X4.jpg

Asher Kelman

Fabulous to have such a knowledgeable person!

What is his/her profession and any interest in photography!

Asher

Antonio Correia

He likes to shoot flowers and knows a lot about Setúbal.
He has a great collection of the flowers around the area
Cheers !