• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What lives in the "Cuckoo Spit"?

Paul Iddon

We've all seen it on our plants, and the pest that is inside the cuckoo spit is actually a young developing frog-hopper, which sucks the plant sap and distorts the young growth of flowering plants.

It creates a protective bubble wrap, that protects the insect from attack by predators and also stops it from drying out. Although frog-hoppers rarely do much if any damage, they can be unsightly when you lots of these little pockets of spit in your flower beds!

I took some of these using extension tubes as well as just the lens - but I did find that the results were not as clear using 3 tubes as opposed to 2 tubes, or just the lens. This is likely a cause of the drop off in light levels. However, for such a small bug, I was quite pleased with the some of the detail.

spittle03-X3.jpg

spittle05-X3.jpg

spittle04-X3.jpg

spittle01-X3.jpg

spittle00-X3.jpg

spittle02-X3.jpg

Paul.