• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area birds

Doug Herr

Yolo Bypass wildlife area, a few days ago

gregre08.jpg

catern02.jpg

bnhero09.jpg

gbhero07.jpg

snegre06.jpg

awpeli06.jpg

all: a7rIII, 100-400 GM

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

Your pictures could mAke it thought how straightforward BIF pictures are! Do you use the Sony’s tracking capability?

Asher

Asher Kelman

This set of pictures, Doug, has awoken a new interest for me.

Seeing these different birds in flight, (and not merely sitting pretty on a branch or by a pond), creates a very different impression.

I now think, not of “beauty”, but of the miracle of flight and flight for that birds lifestyle!

So from today, I’m motivated to see if I can find out about the various wing structures and how they are optimized for the needed behaviors of that bird!

But surprisingly the wings morphologies on your birds do seem rather similar on my first comparisons! So obviously my mind is untrained to look much beyond fascinating great looks and fabulous colors!

I am certain folk have gotten their PH.D.s on bird soaring or fast flight.

So today I will look for some books or videos on BIF!

Asher

Doug Herr

This set of pictures, Doug, has awoken a new interest for me.

Seeing these different birds in flight, (and not merely sitting pretty on a branch or by a pond), creates a very different impression.

I now think, not of “beauty”, but of the miracle of flight and flight for that birds lifestyle!

So from today, I’m motivated to see if I can find out about the various wing structures and how they are optimized for the needed behaviors of that bird!

But surprisingly the wings morphologies on your birds do seem rather similar on my first comparisons! So obviously my mind is untrained to look much beyond fascinating great looks and fabulous colors!

I am certain folk have gotten their PH.D.s on bird soaring or fast flight.

So today I will look for some books or videos on BIF!

Asher

Herons' wings are those of generalists so no special modifications there, but compare the wingtips of the pelican (soaring flight) with those of the tern (quick, maneuverable).

Asher Kelman

Herons' wings are those of generalists so no special modifications there, but compare the wingtips of the pelican (soaring flight) with those of the tern (quick, maneuverable).
I am very interested in those different modifications. One only asks that question when we see the birds in the air, as then they need to have adaptions in shape, feathers, trimming, angles of attack, (to the air), to be able to command their essential creature movements.

I found a wonderful introduction here!

So I will now look for videos! For sure the dynamics and relationships to anatomy are worked out at least for the past 50 years.

But I missed that class!

Asher