• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

recent photos

Doug Herr

Marin County California, 04 October

Sacramento County, 10 October

Attachments

• oatitm12.jpg
    oatitm12.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 177

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

You are so generous in sharing your fine pictures. It’s a special treat we look forward to!

Are these from months of trial and effort or perhaps from one major hike?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

This is a superb portrait. I am stunned by the size of its claws/talons! Is this unusual for proportion to the entire bird?

Asher

Doug Herr

This is a superb portrait. I am stunned by the size of its claws/talons! Is this unusual for proportion to the entire bird?

Chickadees have strong feet for their size, possibly because they spend so much of their time in non-vertical orientations looking for food.

Are these from months of trial and effort or perhaps from one major hike?

The first three are from a good location that I've known of and have been visiting off and on for the last thirty years. The last two are in my yard at my carefully constructed avian portrait studio, which consists of a semi-permanent blind, perches placed for optimal lighting and backgrounds, and bribes of water and food to lure the birds within camera range.

Don Ferguson Jr.

Doug, nice series. Interesting to see the color difference of the Western between our Eastern RTH.
I have never seen a pretty CBC before only Carolina Chickadee and Black Capped.
Don