• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Doors! Handsome, beautiful, decayed, prison or palace, even stolen!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jérôme,

I mentioned the elaborate “gargoyles”. Having looked them up there are two influences. From the earliest Greek buildings, water from roofs were diverted by tubes through elongated pipes away from the building, often decorating the spout end with a head.

Dragon-headed gargoyle
Tallinn Town Hall, Estonia

Krzysztof Mizera: Gargoyles Norte Dame De Paris

Obviously, the longer the “body” of the animal constituting the water channel, the more efficiently would the expensive stone facade of the building be protected from water damage.

This developed excessively in the Catholic Church buildings, from Churches and monasteries to Schools and Cathedrals as a “fusion” of the roof water removal function with using elaborately carved monsters that could also serve to ward-off “evil spirits”.

Often, in Church architecture, there was no longer any connection to any water spout for roof run-off, instead, merely the magical means of apotropaic protection against the ever-present “evil” threatening and seducing the innocent!

“Apotropaic magic (from Greek αποτρέπειν "to ward off" from από-"away" and τρέπειν "to turn") is a type of magic intended to turn away harm or evil influences, as in deflecting misfortune or averting the evil eye.”

Asher

Asher Kelman

Great finds, Antonio!

This one seems like a window, but in an emergency it is a door! After all you’re the architect. This is startlingly handsome. The Yelloe b.g. Perfect!

Asher

Asher Kelman

This style of shop window picture is always alluring. One can place the figures into the outside street.

So we have repurposing of people as the now can take on a new identity and interest in this different setting.

The red head is especially compelling.

Please forgive my crop, I just adore what you have achieved here that would show in a large print!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

I like your effective use of a wide range shades of greyscale. It shows technical prowess in picture building and also the composition is both engaging, open-ended and interesting!

This seemingly simple image of yours allows us to muse about privacy, safety, refuge and prison!

Thanks for sharing, I am enjoying this original interpretation of the topic.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher for your kind words.
This is a photograph 2 or 3 years which I decided to work on when reviewing at random.
Today, I posting something quite different. Some shoes arranged in square boxes created for that purpose.

i-Bkf6DGV-X3.jpg

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Irrespective of construction, doors are built to keep things out or in.

If a door is open it indicated acceptance.

What does an opening without a door indicate?

D69FB4D8-F842-49C7-9086-8C602B54DD28.jpeg

97316F36-6681-4786-B0BC-E2473B3E25A0.jpeg