• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Burma 2018 - some photographs

Antonio Correia

When I travel I never tag the photos and I am so lazy that I hardly remember all the places we have been to. Shame on me.
However, in my next travel I think I will be able to geotag all photographs using the phone and the camera. Then I will be (will I ?) be able to make a route of the way and tag photos all along.
In this tread I will try to post one or more photos everyday. Will I be able to do so ?
Let me try. Thank you for viewing and commenting if you wish, as usual.

i-HqBkD4H-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio,

I am so ignorant about Buddhism. I associate it with great wisdom and humming chants and wheels and colored flags
for prayers, incense and the sound of gongs!

In the Denver area are descendants of ‘60’s hippies, often Jewish who are devotees of Buddhism and it’s Dalai Lama as emissaries of worldwide peace.

Deer wandering to the edges of gardens in Boulder Colarado there, are safe from hunters, as neither the Jews nor the Buddhists would harm them

All this concept of “Buddhism = Flower Power, incense and Peace”, was shattered when the massacres and rapes of the Rohinga became the news! This reality jolt made me realize that all humans are flawed and still just as wonderful and and so questionably civilized!

But I do still love what came to the USA as these are the greatest folk one could meet. You picture brings back the beauty! Thanks I needed a brain reset! It’s just that nothing is that simple.

The gold idols are beautiful art!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Looking at these magnificent scenes, it’s hard to create for oneself a scale. I wonder whether I am looking at brilliantly carved miniatures or towering monuments. But always piety and gold!

Aren’t they worried about robbers?

....or is the “gold” just a lacquer and not real?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Robbers, Asher ?
Burma is currently a dictatorship like so many other countries of the World.
They moved the political capital to a new town with obviously, restricted access...
How could people steal the gold ? Perhaps they do sometimes. But the punishment is for sure, something serious.
The gold is placed by hand, in very thin leaves.
When we visited this country some 15 years ago, it was wilder and nicer. Now, there are too many people all over.

i-DvXS3Dj-X3.jpg

i-9ckBVkT-X3.jpg

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

I have now started to read about The Buddha.

“Buddha” means “one who is awake.” The Buddha who lived 2,600 years ago was not a god. He was an ordinary person, named Siddhartha Gautama, whose profound insights inspired the world. So he is not a god, but the son of a king who wanted to be awake to the reality of life.

I now understand that one does not pray TO Buddha, he is not a God, but rather an inspiration for a path in life to "enlightenment. The offering we see are not offerings to a God, to get some favored result, but rather signs of one's giving up worldly goods in some manner. I doubt that a lot of folk really understand that, and I would imagine its more likely that folk give offerings with the idea of benefiting in good health or fortune in some way as there seem to be Buddhas for different benefits!

Its difficult to determine whats in the mind of devcotees. I guess one would have to ask Budhhists from different educational backgrounds what they considered, if anything the Buddha would do for them. Perhaps its uniformly understood that he doesn't intervene but is a memory. That I will have to find out or perhaps someone knows.

But what's impressive is that the massively and multiplicity of the statues make them seem to these eyes as idols. But then Mary and Jesus statues one might view in the same way. Certainly with the latter, its common to believe that praying to these statues is a route to getting favorable divine intervention, if one is sincere and obedient to "Christ as savior" and "Mary as a path to Jesus".

Since there is seemingly common human behavior, it stretches credulity to think they may be actually different processes but just different packages of the same search for spirituality and higher meaning in life.

But for sure these scenes are beautiful and inspiring.

Whether or not they are also delusional is another matter. I do think that we walk around, each in a set of private and shared overlapping delusions.

But I have deference and respect, as these are traditions that go back in time and appear to serve their people as much as the people serve the meme!

Note that such statues, Gods or not, as strictly frowned upon and forbidden in Judaism and Islam. In the latter, not even for mundane art! These would all be classed as forbidden idols. But as symbols of other religions, there might be room for coexistence, but not welcomed!

Asher

Jerome Marot

When I travel I never tag the photos and I am so lazy that I hardly remember all the places we have been to. Shame on me.
However, in my next travel I think I will be able to geotag all photographs using the phone and the camera. Then I will be (will I ?) be able to make a route of the way and tag photos all along.
In this tread I will try to post one or more photos everyday. Will I be able to do so ?

This is surprisingly difficult, unless ones uses a smartphone as his or her sole camera. Smartphone obviously geotag every pictures. More advanced cameras, as a rule, do not. The ones who do uses GPS which are rarely as advanced as the ones in smartphones and cannot take advantage of various enhancements available on smartphones. Basically, hoping that a non-smartphone camera will geotag travel pictures is an exercise in frustration.

The alternative is to use the smartphone as a GPS, let it record your route and try to synchronise that with other pictures. My experience with these has also been frustrating as the application I used ceased to be maintained. I think the market is simply too small.

Asher Kelman

Really wonderful picture Antonio. It’s brimmingcwith beauty but you have also documented a wooden boat packed to the brim with fishing gear, all locally made out of simple materials.

This represents really hard and committed way of life, gleaning a tough sustainance from the sea!

Asher

Antonio Correia

I made 3 or 4 shots to get this one (the one of the boat) until it was in the place I wanted. It was shooting with a prime so, I could not give a broader perspective of the river and get the boar at the same time

i-vkp387N-X2.jpg

Antonio Correia

Oh no. Far easy than that.
I have paired the Bluetooth on the phone to the Bluetooth on the camera.
It looks very sensitive as it register the difference between two points 5 meters apart or so...
Link

i-kzTgd7W-X2.png

Asher Kelman

Such structures are so impressive. But how difficult is it to maintain the gold surface with all the corners and edges.

What about storms and monsoons?

Is there something special about the craft that makes it so durable?

Asher

Antonio Correia

The first time we have been in Burma it was back in 2011.
What a difference ! Now, much more people, more shops around the corner...
This place is today on both sides, full of shops selling similar stuff.
Back then, we were so impressed by... everything, that we decided to go back.
Nice people but as I told before, too many tourists.

i-RqQBfR4-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

This is so enjoyable. I am sitting outside in my garage by the back alley, breathing fresh air, working with a plasterer to reinforce the back of a mold I made of a nude model.

In my hand I have my iPhone and I am going through all your Burma pictures as if I was a tourist, except I don’t need to schlepp a camera and lenses and Wendy is not telling me to hurry!

The tree in the picture is unique. Marvelous wide spread of branches. I wonder what species it is. I believe they have some really exotic hardwood there.

The homes seem like 1930 Boston or New York. They were made in several floors like that with the parents above, (who had the deposit for the bank from savings), and the working children families with kids on the first floor.

I wonder if you have more pictures of river traffic?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, there was a few boats passing by...
Oh ! I have seen that I had posted the previous photos before. 😕
I wish you much success with your new mould ! :)

Asher Kelman

Thanks!

I am so fascinated with this one too. A lot of home craftsmanship, hard work with scant materials and pride here:

Antonio Correia

I found this photo from inside the boat !
I am working on keywords and organising my stuff. Boring !
i-6vbxZsG-X4.jpg

i-2btMWsJ-X4.jpg

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Antonio,

Keep them coming. This is a great pleasure.

I seem to recall a fellow like this crouching on his bare feet and steering. This is an extraordinary sight. I’d have thought his feet and back would be so sore very quickly from this awkward position. I could never keep that pose even as a child!

Asher

Antonio Correia

...I could never keep that pose even as a child! Asher

Luísa can. Easily. Perhaps it is a position for women because they need great flexibility. However, many people in India, Laos, Cambodia and around stays like that for hours without any problem.
I almost can do it ! :)
i-QSPTQX2-X3.jpg

i-FQJHT6s-X3.jpg