• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Diagonal

From a recent walk behind my workplace.

6187581693_acd80d4cdb_b.jpg

Not sure if I prefer the B&W or the color version. You decide!

Hi Jake,

As usual, I prefer the color version, because I'm a color shooter myself. It brings a subtle addition to the image, realism (instead of another abstraction).

Our 2-dimensional images are already an abstraction of reality, the composition/lighting and focusing choices made by the photographers add to the abstraction, and going to black and white is IMHO too much. Some might even stop caling it Photography.

By allowing the colors to come through, we're a bit closer to reality, yet remain puzzled (perhaps even more!) about the subject. That's what I like in an image, that it gets the viewer emotionally involved somehow.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Not sure if I prefer the B&W or the color version. You decide!

6664734159_d171a2928a_z.jpg

6664733175_df0fc7d7c5_z.jpg

Black and white pictures are the substance of what we see with just the form, gestures, texture and shading but no rudeness of modern colors to force our emotions to erupt like a "Jack in the Box"! Natural colors, however, have much more genteelness than industrial dyes. They can be utterly indispensable for getting the full worth of an image.

Here, the slight addition of color makes the drops more real and adds interest. I wouldn't remove that as the image dies.

Asher

Don Ferguson Jr.

The lighting, I love it, Don! It creates mood. The light seems to come from the upper right and has a golden glow. But then there's a lot of yellow-golden lichen that might be giving that effect by itself? Where, when, and what time of day was this taken?

Asher

Thanks, Asher . It is a Yucca filamentosa plant and I took it late in the afternoon around 4:30 or so back in Jan a few years back hiking in the Mountain Bridge Wilderness area of upstate SC .
Don

Michael Nagel

Jérôme - thank you.

Asher - thanks.

I saw the panels for the first time. I will ask the next time I go there...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

With the light rapidly fading, I saw the sky, (though the window), with a diagonal jet trail vanishing while I was in a conversation on the landline phone, and anchored by the cord, LOL! So I got some grabshots with my 24mm TSE. Doing MF is tough with one hand! Some layer mathematics to please my eye!

_MG_8233_half_November_sky_1_600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Half November Sky

Cheers!

Asher

This (rare around here) Western Tanager showed up outside my kitchen door...ran for my camera, quietly stepped out and got several images. The diagonals are pure happenstance.

A770-000969.jpg

Asher Kelman

The Arctic Dimension:

The Arktikum, Rovaniemi, Finland

_img900.jpg

A Crawling Reindeer

_img900.jpg

I'm surprised that both of these have a long monster coming towards us, the first from in front of us, the second from the right. The first seems from a modern but deceased dinosaur, while paradoxically, the second seems ancient but alive!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jake,

This one I'd have expected to see flipped left to right. Here, however, the cloud descends or recedes to the distance.

6665264873_947cbf1694_b.jpg

The line is unusual and impressive. When you convert to B&W, do you desaturate or do you assign colors to greys? ask that, as I am wondering whether you have looked at the option of the horizontals in the foreground in greater contrast, one to the other.

Asher

Jake,

This one I'd have expected to see flipped left to right. Here, however, the cloud descends.

6665264873_947cbf1694_b.jpg

The line is unusual and impressive. I wonder whether you have looked at the horizontals in the foreground as to whether they might like to be in greater contrast, one to the other. when you convert to B&W, do you desaturate or do you assign colors to greys?

Asher

I've also thought of revisiting this one a few times. I'm pretty sure not much post work went into that one at all. I convert to b&w in CS5 with the black and white tab. Then I adjust individual color sliders.