• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Diagonal

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There are never enough pictures of bridges and the Golden Gate Bay Bridge in San Francisco is a favorite, and we arrive there on the 101 N. from Los Angeles!

7953864570_e01f682a2b_b.jpg

Jake Klein: S.F.Golden Gate Bridge in Mist

Tons of power breaking through the mist, over the San Francisco Bay, Pacific Ocean beyond!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

thanks. Things are simple. take a lake, sun, a boat. climb a mountain opposite to the sun and look down. The boat is making waves, the sun makes surface of the lake look interesting. The waves add and this is what you see. Physics is an allusion to the pattern of constructive and destructive interference seen in the wave pattern.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, here's something! I came across the redo of the Dior "Flagship" store in Beverly Hills. It has just undergone a $15,000,000 expansion. The window glass from Germany came in long flatbed trucks, long enough to carry a locomotive each, LOL! There were 3 of them at least and the glass was lowered into the store from above with giant cranes.

_MG_6216_Dior.jpg

Asher Kelman: Dior Window Install

In the scheme of things, Dior probably has a bargain and lots of folk in Germany were employed in the bargain!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

thanks for adding both as these represent two distinct ways of using the diagonal.

For the first 'Being seen' I have the impression that the camera was slightly tilted to get closer to the diagonal using it more as a dramatic angle, be it intended or not.

I used the same technique on the following one, but I do not see it as the ideal way, more as fun from time to time:

The next 'Near St Moritz' uses the diagonal mainly as compositional element. This is the one I prefer of both.

Here is an old one (1989!) that uses the diagonal the same way:

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

I like the two recent additions.

James, the 'crumbling diagonal' is a good play with the shadow. Some would have waited to have the diagonal of the shadow to be the diagonal of the rear wall. Deviating from this ideal geometrical aspect is a gain here.

Chris, I like the simple way you use the vegetation here.

Best regards,
Michael

Chris Calohan

I liked this one for the countering effect of the single point of light moving uphill against an overwhelming downhill slant of trail, limbs and light.

11513779645_c4856d1cdf_b.jpg

A Find Along the Trail: Chris Calohan​