• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fun with lightning strikes

Robert Watcher

We had a massive thunder and lightning storm tonight with lighten streaking everywhere across the sky - from one end of the city to the other. Massive pouring rain made stepping outside or driving virtually impossible. So unfortunately I was not in an ideal situation to be creative with my setup (like have the nearby volcano in the shot). As well, by the time I got home the grab my tripod and camera, the lighting had started to subside. But I managed to grab a few shots outside the steel gate of our house where there is a small overhang onto the sidewalk. Olympus E-M10 in Live Composite Mode. Exposures were anywhere from 7 min to 20 min long —- all with the same settings.

Robert Watcher

This is fabulous work, Robert!

Looking at your pictures, do you think the lightening connects the overhead cables? Do any get fried?

Asher

I don’t know, but it sure looks like it at times.

It’s funny because I was really irritated that my only view included tons of wires in my frame. I couldn’t get a clear spot. But the more I look at the pics - especially the last one - I think that the wires are a strong element in the pics —- both compositionally and contextually.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

Yes indeed! The duality of the conceit of man to control electricity and the ease with which we are brought to our knees!

Robert Watcher: “The Answer”

I am so impressed!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Robert,

We had a massive thunder and lightning storm tonight with lighten streaking everywhere across the sky - from one end of the city to the other. Massive pouring rain made stepping outside or driving virtually impossible. So unfortunately I was not in an ideal situation to be creative with my setup (like have the nearby volcano in the shot). As well, by the time I got home the grab my tripod and camera, the lighting had started to subside. But I managed to grab a few shots outside the steel gate of our house where there is a small overhang onto the sidewalk. Olympus E-M10 in Live Composite Mode. Exposures were anywhere from 7 min to 20 min long —- all with the same settings.

Great technique, wonderful shots. I think the power lines give a great context.

Best regards,

Doug