• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Relaxing Monday evening - Beach & Light Trails

Robert Watcher

Trying to find a different vantage point around the Goderich Harbour (Lake Huron). At the end of the Cove beach, I spotted a grassy mound that aimed back toward the ships loading at the salt mine. Plus I figured I’d be able to catch some car light trails where the road came to an end, requiring circling around a tree. After the sun set, I climbed up the hill and laid out a blanket to sit on - set my camera on the tripod, and using Olympus Live Composite Mode captured exposures in the 15 to 20 minute long range (closed the shutter when the amount of light trails satisfied me on the camera screen).

Initially I was only interested in capturing the tighter shot around the tree, with the moving lights of the ship being loaded, in the background —— but I also actually quite like the wider view that includes the beach and light trails in the right side of the frame.

After complete darkness, I drove over to the harbour and set up to catch the light streaks of the ships in the port water.

IMG_3267.jpeg

IMG_3269.jpeg

IMG_3265.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
IMG_8347.jpeg

You were right!

This image contains your original idea, but adding the contrasting finely detailed tree silhouettes on the left in a panorama, is a winning composition.

You do have both!

But the panorama moves from fabulous to extraordinary.

[I would, for a large exhibition print, give up some of the black as the lower border as it appears non functional to the success of the work and takes away from the magical breadth effect of including the trees on the left!]

Asher