• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Shadows on the wall; dramatic, pastoral to abstract!

Antonio Correia

Olympus OM-D EM5 KII + Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 + CC

i-BFL4RqJ-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio,

This is what I refer to, for those who cannot imagine what it could be. Those considered not-accepting the authority of the Catholic Church in territories, subject to Rome, i.e, the "wayward" and "opponents" or Jews secretely practicing their faith were brought to a public square.

There, in front of the citizens and assembled clergy and Royal officials, they were tied to wooden poles with firewood all around. Then following reading the formal sentences to death, these still living, so helpless folk, were set on fire, screaming, as they were slowly roasted alive, skin peeling off their flesh, as flames of the burning firewood consumed them

Pedro_Berruguete_Saint_Dominic_Presiding_over_an_Auto-da-fe_1495_900.jpg

Pedro Berruguete: Saint Dominic presiding over an auto-da-fé
Painting, around 1495

Yes, this was normal and part of every day life, if one opposed the Church or was secretely praying in one's own way! This went on for 500 years. But at least the condemmed were blessed on their way to oblivion! If their was a painting of Christ, it was always coverec during torture so as not to embarass him.

It is better to spit at the kind, as one would at least have one's head cut off, a quicker death!

What is amazing is that Rome collected such paintings with pride!

Asher

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

The Human Race has done all kind of carnages (and much more) since the beginning.

And it keeps doing so regardless religion, belief, politics, whatever...

Homo homini lupus est ! = Man is wolf to man ! No offense for the wolves.

The important is money ! MONEY ! Money makes the World go round

Asher Kelman

The Human Race has done all kind of carnages (and much more) since the beginning.

And it keeps doing so regardless religion, belief, politics, whatever...

Homo homini lupus est ! = Man is wolf to man ! No offense for the wolves.

The important is money ! MONEY ! Money makes the World go round

Antonio,

You may have hit the nail on the head, mentioning wolves!

It may not be much different than the motivation of such successful predatory animals: efficient cooperative brute power from a socially organized hunting pack!

That actually better describes man and it did hundreds of thousands of years of evolved hunting behavior well before the so recent invention of money and wealth!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Amazingly I do not remember having seen before this interesting thread!

Her's my contribution:

slide2.jpg

Château Clinet - Pomerol - In Winter​

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Amazingly I do not remember having seen before this interesting thread!

Her's my contribution:

slide2.jpg

Château Clinet - Pomerol - In Winter​

I hope that bottle is either for show or else is being warmed up to room temp as it will get a lot of sunlifht and actually heat up in the sunlight blasting through that window at high noon!

Incodentally, this photograph of yours, Nicolas is the sibling of Antonio's picture that presecedea it, as they have such similar esthetics!

Coincidence, or perhaps his picture reminded you of yours alsovwith the shadow of a bare tree decorating a wall by the windows?

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I hope that bottle is either for show or else is being warmed up to room temp as it will get a lot of sunlifht and actually heat up in the sunlight blasting through that window at high noon!

Incodentally, this photograph of yours, Nicolas is the sibling of Antonio's picture that presecedea it, as they have such similar esthetics!

Coincidence, or perhaps his picture reminded you of yours alsovwith the shadow of a bare tree decorating a wall by the windows?

Asher
Asher, this picture was shot in 2014 for my exhibition "Three Châteaux in Winter"

So I'm pretty sure that this is a pure coincidence!

The bottle is a fake for deco only!

PS The bottle is fake… for decoration only

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Thank you. I usually feel a little guilty taking shadow shots like the first one :)

Never!

It’s most important to traverse your disciplined social and artistic constraints and go n
Beyond what is normally acceptable to you or anyone else!

That’s what art must do or else isn’t it just obsessional craftsmanship and that can be taught!

Asher

Mike Webb

Never!

It’s most important to traverse your disciplined social and artistic constraints and go n
Beyond what is normally acceptable to you or anyone else!

That’s what art must do or else isn’t it just obsessional craftsmanship and that can be taught!

Asher

Regarding the shadows on the car park - that's what bothers me. Shots like that feel like shooting fish in a barrel. I see so many :)

Mike

Asher Kelman

I hope that this fits in here

and this definitely on a wall

Mike

Regarding the shadows on the car park - that's what bothers me. Shots like that feel like shooting fish in a barrel. I see so many :)

Mike

If one is hungry, one gets fed!

But truthfully, taking pictures in a car park is a challenge, just as taking a unique sunset picture, but unlike the Subset, there is none of the romance!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Two older images, but ones I still like for the shadow and light play.

6258410191_916f3137b1_b.jpg

6258936116_a97834d4a1_o_d.jpg

Chris,

I too, find them interesting, but question whether there is more too see.

You must have experimented with them in B&W....you did? What did you think of the results, especially the first one as the tonality can be refined to boat the dramatics of the image further...I just wonder!

Asher

Peter Dexter

These are all wonderful and I am partial to those in color. Most seem to result from strong sunlight. I wonder about subtle shadows resulting from an over cast sky