• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tulips!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Asher Kelman: Tulips in Prison

Tulips are coming out! I love both Wolfgang Plattner’s and Maggie Terlecki’s flowers as the stems lean over graciously.

Asher Kelman: “Tulips to Show Roots”

These are in a special glass container to show off the roots too and the plants are constrained and can’t swoon as Maggie’s so famously do on her bidding!

Asher

Last edited:
Lovely work Asher. I especially like the second with all the roots visible. So pretty. Are these from your garden since you have the roots?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
View attachment 3485

Asher Kelman: Fruit & Flowers in Southern Light
Hi Asher,
How on Earth can you try such shoot with an iPhone!
This does not desserve the quality of your eye and the concept…
You have such beautiful cameras with so much better IQ.
Sorry, but I really don't get it!
Keep your iPhone for chatting or shooting a pic when you have nothing else while facing a fascinating and unforeseen subject.

PS It might show well on a phone screen, but not on a calibrated monitor…

Asher Kelman

Yes, you are so right!

I am impulsive when I see the Southern light in my custom made window that I dreamed about for years before buildingvit!

Yes, you are correct to chastise me! I blame Robert for my use of Snapseed too!

I will have my camera ready.

Damn I ate two of the pears!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Yes, you are so right!

I am impulsive when I see the Southern light in my custom made window that I dreamed about for years before buildingvit!

Asher
The Southern light in my custom made window might show every day!
When things/subjetcs are steady, no need to hurry but get ready :)
Just wait, prepare your camera for tomorrow :)
As for the pear, you may replace them with Apples that will please some guys working in the Silicon Valley ;)

Asher Kelman

🙏 Before I went to bed at 3:00 am, I put my camera in the den with an SD card, ready.

If I put it in Wendy’s kitchen it will be returned to a bottom drawer in the bedroom, LOL!

I like how they are finally lowering themselves to see what's on the plate. We can't really tell they are pears, but will take your word for it. ;-)

Asher Kelman

Asher Kelman: “Salut Mes Amis!”
Fuji GFX 50S 33-63 mm lens
Edited in Snapseed on iPhone XsMax

Yes, Nicolas, I couldn’t wait so I did this, lying in bed using the Snapseed App on my iPhone. Great limitations in editing but I just wanted to see how adequate it might be. Unfortunately, it lacks tools like content aware fill and sophisticated cloning.

Still this is fine for overall lighting and composition. I will edit this post using 2020 Photoshop CC.

no doubt,, wait will be rewarded!

Asher

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

Yes, you are so right!

Asher

What? Snapseed has little to do with a camera‘s image quality based on using a smaller phone sensor or a higher end camera . It is simply an image processing application like PS or Lightroom. I have printed client images that were processed with Snapseed. BTW, not many people view photographs on high end calibrated monitors, and even if they do - the resampling and resizing necessary for web display would not be the way to gauge the quality or colour of images.

Asher Kelman

What? Snapseed has little to do with a camera‘s image quality based on using a smaller phone sensor or a higher end camera . It is simply an image processing application like PS or Lightroom. I have printed client images that were processed with Snapseed. BTW, not many people view photographs on high end calibrated monitors, and even if they do - the resampling and resizing necessary for web display would not be the way to gauge the quality or colour of images.
Robert,

I am still learning Snapseed. It could be that I am too dependent on certain PS tools that you don’t use because your pictures are far better framed in the first place. I cannot see how to do content corrections like cloning textures or filling in like content aware. The Snapseed healing tool I am gradually leveraging better. It’s easy for corners or a small spot.

But how would I remove the vertical element on the left with Snapseed.

One way that works with a white bg but complex foreign objects scattered on an edge is to crop that side until a clean white margin remains. Then one can “expand” just that side in say 4 separate tiny increments, each time creating a new perfectly clean extension of just that “white”.

But back to my last picture, how do I edit out the vertical elements on the left?

Those who frame perfectly,( and that is definitely not myself amongst them), don’t suffer these limitations! But I am far too used to “shooting and repairing” unless I “stage” the shot!

Asher

Robert Watcher

Robert,

I am still learning Snapseed. It could be that I am too dependent on certain PS tools that you don’t use because your pictures are far better framed in the first place. I cannot see how to do content corrections like cloning textures or filling in like content aware. The Snapseed healing tool I am gradually leveraging better. It’s easy for corners or a small spot.

But how would I remove the vertical element on the left with Snapseed.

One way that works with a white bg but complex foreign objects scattered on an edge is to crop that side until a clean white margin remains. Then one can “expand” just that side in say 4 separate tiny increments, each time creating a new perfectly clean extension of just that “white”.

But back to my last picture, how do I edit out the vertical elements on the left?

Those who frame perfectly,( and that is definitely not myself amongst them), don’t suffer these limitations! But I am far too used to “shooting and repairing” unless I “stage” the shot!

Asher

I hope I haven’t implied that Snapseed can do everything. Of course it can’t. If you want exacting control over cloning or content aware, you use appropriate tools to do that. The only good ones are not free. I can clean up small imperfections with the Snapseed Healing Brush. I don’t need content aware very often on a daily basis. I have the other big guns like PS or Affinity Photo when extensive editing is needed.

I love Snapseed because it can be learned in 10 minutes or less. I convert all of my snap shooter friends to using it. And their snapshots take on new life with just a few basic tweaks. As well, for online use I can set the image dimensions and jpeg quality when Exporting.

BTW. I don’t compose or even expose perfectly. I simply have become adept at using tools like Snapseed on my iPad or my consumer grade cameras and lenses, to get what I want from my photography. As well, I do not muck around with my photos and presume I can make them perfect. That’s why I never rework an image. I just move in to the next one. But then I’m not trying to please people viewing my images on expensive colour corrected monitors —- I leave that for my paying customers when reproduction in magazines or in print are involved. :D

I assumed that you were blaming Snapseed (and me promoting its value), for the quality of images that Nicolas was referring to when using your iPhone instead of your cameras. That’s why I responded. My mistake.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

3BED7904-0986-4D56-AFD2-281CDCED0C53.jpeg

I rediscovered the picture today and sent it to Maggie Terlecki, as she makes the most emotive images from Tulips.

Her pictures are passionate and inspired me for this series!

Asher

So very pretty Asher, I thank you for the smile to find it in my email this morning. I have just started taking tulip photos, as we finally got some at the grocery store, we have so much snow here, there is not a bloom to be found on the ground. I'm curious how you get tulips in a jar with roots. I've never seen that anywhere before you showed some here. As for swooning, they do swoon if you keep them around. Obviously, if they are in the hot sun, they will swoon but also start drying up so keep their water fresh and cool and keep them, when not shooting in bright shade. They will love it.