• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Covid 19 Lockdown

James Lemon

The response to Covid 19 will prove to be a huge blunder. The only accomplishment has been the slowing of heard immunity and in the process put more elderly people at risk.

They should have locked down the elderly but locked down the children instead.

Jerome Marot

shrek.jpg

Feeling like a troll today? 😷

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The response to Covid 19 will prove to be a huge blunder. The only accomplishment has been the slowing of heard immunity and in the process put more elderly people at risk.

They should have locked down the elderly but locked down the children instead.
James,

Thats simplistic yet humorous, akin to saying to the starving French citizens, who had no bread, “Let them eat cake!”

Each country and community has different risk factors and ease of spread depending on:
  • Mobility of population beyond family group
  • Hospital resources
  • Technical resources for mapping & tracing
  • Inter regional travel
  • Large gatherings: prayer, funerals or sports
  • Age of population
  • Health of population
Here in the USA we allowed flights from Europe and wasted 6 weeks in getting organized. We have 85,000 deaths and by years end could be 300,000!

in Israel, most infections were in the ultra religious communities attending Torah study day and night, weddings and funerals with thousands of people and prayers 3 times a day with at least 10 men!

The government closed all flights, quarantined those Israelis returning from travel and came down heavily forcing compliance and used the Mossad intelligence services to trace, track, treat isolate anyone infected.

As a result the infection is crushed. Thousands of lives have been saved. That level of responsibility in the USA might have prevented many of the avalanche of deaths we experience now! some 30,000 to 60,000 a month!

A population with few arriving travelers, little mobility and population mixing or congregational practices, will have little spread!

But when governments take a simplistic happy attitude and write off colored folk and the elderly as “it happens” and “dispensable”, then we degrade ourselves as civilized societies putting wealth over life.

In the USA, all we have to do is guaranty to buy all the farmers produce and supply entire population for free for two years and introduce the controls used in Asia and Israel. In the latter case, 10% of the population were convinced Hod had nothing more important to do than save them from Covid-19. Even then, sound administrative policy from the top, crushes the out of control infection.

So, James, humor is great for quips and a laugh. But for this pandemic, we can’t protect the elderly and the people of color who produce and deliver essential services unless we use a more granular rational and expert approach!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Asher, James is simply pulling your leg. As elderly males are at highest risk, I am pretty sure he does not jump on them with kisses (infectious). He is not as bad a guy he wants you to believe.

Asher Kelman

The great thing about the pandemic is that, at last it points to our forgetting the lessons of early man. Survival is against the elements and the wild.

We have made survival to be keeping up with the latest gadgets and fashion styles and sales of chatkas and oil to fuel them!

We now need to rethink what we really need to survive another thousand years as humans and not get wiped out by some drug-resistant bacterium or a virus from some bat colony!

As long as magical beliefs, sports, fashion, oil, cars and glitter are more important than natural science and rationalism, we are subject to disaster!

Pity since we can make all the food we want without poisoning the planet but our life depends on increased production at the expense of everything else!

For sure James jokes, but I look at the number of deaths each day and my humor has left weeks ago!

Asher

Jerome Marot

We now need to rethink what we really need to survive another thousand years as humans and not get wiped out by some drug-resistant bacterium or a virus from some bat colony!

It is not that efficient, Asher. Even if we would let the virus go its course unimpeded, it would only kill about 70 millions people and more are born each year.

(Do I need to specify that this is sarcasm? Probably yes.)

Asher Kelman

....and the magnetic North Pole is racing away from Canada towards Russia!

Nature does her own thing in her own time!

We’re not even a dot in the history of the dinosaurs and the Abrahamic religions think the earth is just over 5,000 years old!

We are so forgetful. We knew the earth was round and heliocentric over thousands of years ago and then we had to fight the Church to learn it again!

...and then, why do we have to age!

Asher

James Lemon

Hi, James,

How's that again?

Best regards,

Doug
My apologies Doug I meant care homes for the elderly and other vulnerable people. The fact is the covid 19 cases peaked in early March. The longer they drag out heard immunity the more risk to the vulnerable. Maybe isolated would have been a better word ?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I thought that was ‘herd’ immunity, James, like cows and other collectives.

I’ve read a bit about your place. Ech! It does seem disastrous; and funny if it weren’t so serious.

I’m doing OK thanks for asking. The right decision is always the one made at the time. Like electing a moron for a president.
And in retrospect, we will do better next time: we hope.

Meanwhile, don’t kiss any old people. Ech! Not that you would.

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

My apologies Doug I meant care homes for the elderly and other vulnerable people. The fact is the covid 19 cases peaked in early March. The longer they drag out heard immunity the more risk to the vulnerable. Maybe isolated would have been a better word ?

No, the sentence just did not make sense. One part should probably have had a "not" in it!

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

Hi, James,

No, the sentence just did not make sense. One part should probably have had a "not" in it!

Best regards,

Doug
It makes perfect sense.
Hi, James,

Best regards,

Doug
None of it makes sense Doug. But that's what happens when science is based on consensus and bad arithmetic.

A problem in the US is obedience toward a Constitution that may have made sense in centuries gone by but makes little sense today. The US does not have a national health policy but a series of state policies. Obama tried but failed to introduce a nationalized form of public heath services. For example, Wisconsin’s Supreme Court decided a couple of days ago that the lockdown there was unconstitutional. Now the lockdown is over despite 70% of the population wanting it to continue, and despite a region in Wisconsin having among the worst Covid-19 profiles in the world. In other words, minority opinion prevails because of legal obedience to that outdated Constitution. The same argument applies to idiotic gun laws that contribute to excessive murder and suicide rates. Now I love almost every US citizen I’ve met during travels south of the border but am so glad not to have their form of governance.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
It makes perfect sense.

None of it makes sense Doug. But that's what happens when science is based on consensus and bad arithmetic.

Now you're aggravating me, James.
There's no such thing as 'bad arithmetic. I think what you mean is ' arithmetic done badly'.
That's within the capacity of all of us. You included unless you're a fucking genius.

I wont buy into your comments about science, least to say .......Nah! I won't bother.
Hi, James,

Best regards,

Doug

You should read some of the stuff teens write. The trick is to second guess what they mean. Its more of an art than a skill, Doug. Not engineering, just intuiting

Asher Kelman

A problem in the US is obedience toward a Constitution that may have made sense in centuries gone by but makes little sense today. The US does not have a national health policy but a series of state policies. Obama tried but failed to introduce a nationalized form of public heath services. For example, Wisconsin’s Supreme Court decided a couple of days ago that the lockdown there was unconstitutional. Now the lockdown is over despite 70% of the population wanting it to continue, and despite a region in Wisconsin having among the worst Covid-19 profiles in the world. In other words, minority opinion prevails because of legal obedience to that outdated Constitution. The same argument applies to idiotic gun laws that contribute to excessive murder and suicide rates. Now I love almost every US citizen I’ve met during travels south of the border but am so glad not to have their form of governance.
Unfortunately, Mike, devotion to the flag and the Constitution is rather mindless. Rich men wag their fingers at black athletes on one knee during the National Anthem, but their sons don’t fight America’s wars! It’s mostly the same black and brown ball players, LOL, drivers and workers!

uneducated white men an women somehow feel they have been wronged and are slipping behind in the race to the American Dream!

Asians, Hispanics and Blacks have gotten the message that education is the ladder not owning guns and grenade launchers!

We are a very divided and pretty ignorant country. Religion is not a delightful way of introducing children to social responsibility but it replace it!

We are in a dangerous position with a crackpot encouraging gun-toting “protesters” against his self-owned stay at home regulations!

That’s his base. He only speaks to the.

How Tony Fauci stands his rudeness I have no clue! Deserves a Nobel Peace Prize for his wisdom and cool under pressure! Wait until the fall. How many dead will we have by then. Could reach 200-300,000!

....and he will blame the States!

Asher

James Lemon

Now you're aggravating me, James.
There's no such thing as 'bad arithmetic. I think what you mean is ' arithmetic done badly'.
That's within the capacity of all of us. You included unless you're a fucking genius.

I wont buy into your comments about science, least to say .......Nah! I won't bother.

You should read some of the stuff teens write. The trick is to second guess what they mean. Its more of an art than a skill, Doug. Not engineering, just intuiting
Its a term used in commuter programming called bad arithmetic conversion.

Jerome Marot

Looking at percentage is much more realistic! Sixty five years sounds like a long time too, but it only adds up to approximately 570,000 hours.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ons-Americans-died.html#v-3809849176803855775

You are ready all the wrong newspapers, James. The daily mail... seriously?

Anyway: one thing that speaks for "hard immunity" is that, statistically, it would kill several of the US presidential candidates. They are not that young.

(Do I need to specify that this is sarcasm? Probably yes. Do I need to specify which candidates? Probably no.)

James Lemon

You are ready all the wrong newspapers, James. The daily mail... seriously?

Anyway: one thing that speaks for "hard immunity" is that, statistically, it would kill several of the US presidential candidates. They are not that young.

(Do I need to specify that this is sarcasm? Probably yes. Do I need to specify which candidates? Probably no.)

Yes that may be true but also there are numerous ways one could die. Slips,trips,a falls account 15% of all accidental deaths.

Asher Kelman

Yes that may be true but also there are numerous ways one could die. Slips,trips,a falls account 15% of all accidental deaths.
Therefore it would be foolish to accept even more unnecessary loss of life, when prudence would have the economically-endowed governments simply take responsibility!

They can buy and distribute essential services, ample free and power for just until we have a vaccine-induced herd immunity.

What is the loss in not having a new version of PlayStation, the Apple Watch, Giant TV’s or newer lipstick colors for the next 18 months?

Asher

James Lemon

Therefore it would be foolish to accept more unnecessary loss of life when prudence would have the Economically endowed governments simply distribute ample food and power for just a year until we have a vaccine-induced herd immunity.

Asher

I don't think so Asher we could be waiting a long time. I don't understand the paranoia? Meanwhile should we just ignore all other medical concerns while we make covid 19 a top priority?

Last edited:

Jerome Marot

What paranoia?

I have no idea what you may be thinking of

Asher

Possibly James things he is surrounded by paranoiacs. They are against him. They seek him. He does not know why, but they hide in the dark to get him. All these paranoiacs, everywhere.

(Do I need to specify that this is sarcasm? Please, not again!)