• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Doors! Handsome, beautiful, decayed, prison or palace, even stolen!

Robert Watcher

So to follow on from Rob's masterpiece, I have something far more humble. This worn and dried out doorway in London.

IMG_3578_1000.jpg

Asher Kelman: #5

Triptych

London, 2009

G10 Canon Digicam

Three seemed just right.

Asher

This one catches my attention Asher. I think the Triptych does the doors even more justice as a collective than probably the shot on its own. But I'd love to have access to doors like this and get in tight for some details of the character of them.

This reinforces the powerful concept of displaying in the threes. Several years ago when my daughter purchased a new home and wanted some of my images to fill one wall in her dining room - - - she noticed in my samples one image of a gate that I shot in Quebec city - where I had printed it in several different colors by using Selective Color. She liked that look and I ended up printing 3 large prints with 3 compimentary colours that suited her tastes - - - and mounted them framed beside each other on the wall. I don't believe she has had anyone ever say "hey what did you use the same picture for?" - - - but she does get lots of compliments about her impressive images displayed on that wall. Even though in that case, there is a separation between the frames - all three, work as one.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I love to stroll along Rodeo Drive and see the finest stores and watch the tourist and fashionistas! Here, however, is a more down to earth doorway that surprised me on this very expensive street. I didn't think there were offices here too.

_MG_7772_editedCS5.jpg

Asher Kelman:Doorway Squeezed between fancy Stores on Rodeo Drive!

Asher

Zeeshan Ali

Some lovely photographs of doors. I specially liked the one by Walt Conley earlier in the thread which is a very eerie portrait of a door. A very ghostly photograph which makes me wonder whats the story behind that door being there in the dark.

There is a strange fascination I have with doors and windows especially when they are part of abandoned spaces. As much as I love framing doors within their surroundings, I also like to get close and find interesting textures and cracks. Here's one which I took a while ago at a place which is among the very few colonial architectural masterpieces remaining in Karachi. The place is called Frere Hall.

Title: Frere Hall's Door

frere-hall-door.jpg

Asher Kelman

....As much as I love framing doors within their surroundings, I also like to get close and find interesting textures and cracks. Here's one which I took a while ago at a place which is among the very few colonial architectural masterpieces remaining in Karachi. The place is called Frere Hall.

Title: Frere Hall's Door

frere-hall-door.jpg

Zeeshan,

Yes, this is more intimate and makes us think more of the labor in making the place, what is behind it and who passed through!

Asher

Asher Kelman

At night, the iphone is a useful carry with you camera. Here I stitched adjacent shots in Autopano Giga.

IMG_0097_IMG_0098_Christian_Science_Reading_Room_westwood_Village.jpg

Asher Kelman:Christian Science Reading Room

Westwood village, California, Night, December, 2012

iPhone 4G

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Wolfgang,

listen to the music, my child! by Wolfgang Plattner, on Flickr
(Canon 5D Mark III, EF24-105mm, AlienSkin)

What a wonderful shot. There is so much in it, so much to be read into it. We wonder what the occasion is. The woman (perhaps the child's mother) seems to be holding what might be a program for an event. And of course the child's grasp on the mother's finger is just precious.

Thanks you so much for sharing this wondrous image with us.

Best regards,

Doug

Martin Evans

A high door

Just a quirky image, of an odd door near the stream in Staithes, North Yorkshire. Not one that one could safely sleep-walk through. Perhaps that is why there are two padlocks on it!

Staithes.jpg

Martin Evans

Scarborough, North Yorkshire.

This old door, and most of the brick building, look neglected but the padlock is shiny-new. Just off Scarborough main quay, with its restaurants and amusement arcades, Quay Street retains ancient buildings: fishermen's stores, warehouses, old pubs and homes.

Scarborough%20-%20DSC01401a.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

So to follow on from Rob's masterpiece, I have something far more humble. This worn and dried out doorway in London.

IMG_3578_1000.jpg

Asher Kelman: #5

Triptych

London, 2009

G10 Canon Digicam

A lovely shot, a naturally-occurring triptych.

"Digicam'?" Digicam?" Is that a condescending, pejorative contraction of "not very serious digital camera"?

Or maybe it is just a contraction of "fits in your pocket digital camera".

Or maybe it is a contraction of "inexpensive digital camera", in which case we could hardly apply it to a G3 X.

Or maybe, as it seems on the surface, it is just a contraction of "digital camera", and thus would apply just as well to a Canon 1-series EOS DSLR.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Just a quirky image, of an odd door near the stream in Staithes, North Yorkshire. Not one that one could safely sleep-walk through. Perhaps that is why there are two padlocks on it!

Staithes.jpg

Martin,

I love this one. It's rather unusual! A neat little door with a pair of modest padlocks, just enough to keep the nosey folk out.

So I guess the leads under the building to give access to the gas boiler perhaps?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Scarborough, North Yorkshire.

This old door, and most of the brick building, look neglected but the padlock is shiny-new. Just off Scarborough main quay, with its restaurants and amusement arcades, Quay Street retains ancient buildings: fishermen's stores, warehouses, old pubs and homes.

Scarborough%20-%20DSC01401a.jpg

This door deserves some medal for endurance, LOL! It's been repaired, reinforced over the years and a massive steel section added to help prevent jimmying by allowing a very substantial lock bolt inside it.

The building has interestingly weathered bricks. If it had moss on it then it would be perfect for folk from Harry Potter to live in!

Asher