• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flower Shots With Presence!

I'm not sure if this is a flower or a weed. Or even if it has presence. But for some reason I like it.

6105595008_36a9a21365_z.jpg

d90
nikkor 85mm f1.4d
1/400
f2.8
iso200​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's two of mine
yucca.jpg

Yucca Flowers

cherry-tree.jpg

Cherry tree

Sandrine,

I missed these latest pictures! I especially enjoy the array of Yucca flowers like lanterns. The single fruit blossom is pretty too. For the former, I'd love to see the flowers lit ip by the sun from behind. Return, drop down when the sun is going down and there you are! Distinguished!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Sandrine, I like the waterdrops on the Yucca Flowers.

I found this recently:

Der Frühling naht - click on photo for larger version​

For non-German speakers: 'Der Frühling naht' means Spring is near.

This is indeed a distinguished image. It does have the presence we are looking for. The spring crocus pushes through the carpet of autumn leaves, a motif of individual determination.

Kudos!

Asher

Michael Nagel

This is indeed a distinguished image. It does have the presence we are looking for. The spring crocus pushes through the carpet of autumn leaves, a motif of individual determination.

Kudos!

Asher
Thanks Asher - it was exactly what you described which made me look closer.

Best regards,
Michael

chi pritchard

color

I think that flowers offer us color that lash out at you like nothing else. Garden photography is one of the most exciting forms of photography. It's one that you have a new adventure waiting for each and every time.

Ron Morse

Well, I looked at these again from start to finish. Setting at my computer in late January in a cold winter area, it give me a nice warm feeling inside. I enjoyed it very much.

Asher Kelman

This poppy could fit in here:

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

You have a particular capability to find simple ways to see really complex things. That seems to be your way of harvesting the most beauty to go in a picture. There's a certain precision about it that fascinates me.

Remarkably delicate and yet strong.

Asher

I have many flower photos, as I'm sure we all have, but these are among my favorites.

Am I Blue
amiblue.jpg

Cosmos
cosmos.jpg

Hydrangeas
hydrangeas.jpg

Upskirt
upskirt.jpg

Windflowers
windflowers.jpg

Hope it was alright to post so many.

Michael Nagel

Maggie - the last one coins the theme the best - for me. There is a lot of presence.

The following two - although being taken within a short period of time - represent stages on opposite ends of the development of a flower.

The first one:

The second one (the decay can already be seen on the leaf below):

Best regards,
Michael

Maggie - the last one coins the theme the best - for me. There is a lot of presence.

thanks Michael. I'm glad you seem to like that one the most. I always think that it resembles who I am in flower form. :)

The second one (the decay can already be seen on the leaf below):

Best regards,
Michael

Two very different types of flowers at different stages of life. I enjoy photos of flowers from the buds to when some may think there is nothing more to look at; withered flower heads turned beige, but there can be much beauty in that.

Was the Malva actually taken in the fall? These grow here in July and August and sometimes the leaves are like that because of a lack of nitrogen in the soil and/or little bugs feasting on the leaves.

Jerome Marot

I have many flower photos, as I'm sure we all have, but these are among my favorites.

Am I Blue
amiblue.jpg

Cosmos
cosmos.jpg

Hydrangeas
hydrangeas.jpg

Upskirt
upskirt.jpg

Windflowers
windflowers.jpg

Hope it was alright to post so many.

I really like your postprocessing. It is in the same style of the garden furniture I commented about some time ago and suits the subject very well.

Do you sell your pictures?

Just one criticism: on "cosmos", I would dispense with the two extra twigs.

Robert Watcher

31 years ago, we named our third child "Roslyn". The meaning of her name is "Beautiful Rose" - which she indeed turned out to be.

While babysitting her daughter Myla, I went outside into Roslyn's flower garden and captured some images of her beautiful roses - soft lit and still spattered here and there with early morning dew drops.

E3021710.jpg

I've named this shot "Roslyn's Rose"

--------

Thank you Jerome. When I saw your comment on the cosmos, I realized I had not uploaded the final crop of my photo for print, and have switched it out. Thanks,

As for the post, I'm glad you like it. I know a lot of photographers don't like any post-processing at all, but I almost always do some post as I want the photos to reflect my voice.

and yes, I do sell my photos, but through a gallery in my moderately small town. I sell low numbered signed limited editions. It doesn't make me rich, I'd do it anyways without selling them but it does feel good for both the pocket and the ego. :)
Maggie

Jerome Marot

Thank you Jerome. When I saw your comment on the cosmos, I realized I had not uploaded the final crop of my photo for print, and have switched it out. Thanks,

I thought it looked odd compared to the rest.

and yes, I do sell my photos, but through a gallery in my moderately small town. I sell low numbered signed limited editions.

Flower pictures are notoriously difficult to sell to galleries because there are so many of them, but they are popular amongst the buyers. I think that these kind of pictures, together with the garden/bench ones, could have a more universal appeal than a limited edition. You may want to consider proposing a selection mixing both the garden and the flower pictures but in the same tone of colors to distributors catering for a wider audience, posters for example. Ikea would not do, it is not quite their style (not "design" enough), but a similar chain selling furniture in the style of antiques should. I have no idea who does that in Canada or the US, unfortunately.

Have a look here for a gallery selling posters in Germany. I chose an artist in a somewhat similar style.