• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Road Art: pavement, walls anything unusually artistic by chance or intent!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Daylight Night Life

8689449734_ae3b09f4f9_c.jpg

Chris,

That's an interesting find! Where is it?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Two large-scale ones from under the same bridge in Munich:

This one is fairly complex, but I like the idea and execution:

This one is has in my eyes more visual relationship with drawings of manga-artists. The title is laso the pseudonym of the artist:

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Michael,

There's a huge investment of time in these artworks! Is there a political message or is this relalted to some comic book, game or cartoon characters?

Asher

Michael Nagel

There's a huge investment of time in these artworks! Is there a political message or is this relalted to some comic book, game or cartoon characters?
Not necessarily. There is also 'Just because it is.' - people with a visual concept who chose this way to make it real.

Political messages are far more common among stickers or stencils - for a very simple reason:
This is far easier to mass-produce and apply.

I will show a few political messages (6 in total). I have enough for a separate thread, but the following are not related to German or Bavarian politics, these are US related or universal.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Here is the batch of six. This is just for showing, I do not want to start any political discussion with this. Take it as it is and let us discuss the visual impact if anyone feel inclined to discuss the shown.

No human is illegal (literal translation from below):

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Here is the batch of six. This is just for showing, I do not want to start any political discussion with this. Take it as it is and let us discuss the visual impact if anyone feel inclined to discuss the shown.

No human is illegal (literal translation from below):

Best regards,
Michael

What other cities can boast such powerful graffiti art? We all need to walk around and see if we have anything in this class of social comment!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Paul,

Where did you find these? Is there any story behind the works? They seems to be very intellectual and so different from the Munich art that Michael has shared with us to date.

Asher

Paul Abbott

Hey Asher, over time I found these hanging around east London, it's a place that is filled with graffiti and decaying walls...:)

Here's a couple more, with a little analogy in the first...

Untitled '08 - Paul Abbott

Urban Firewall '08 - Paul Abbott

Michael Nagel

Paul,

it is always interesting to see when the result of several layers is combined with decay - which is very well visible in the first and the last of your first batch of four.

This one is special as it looks like a result of Art Dialogue:

Dali's Distaste '09 - Paul Abbott

The third reminds me a little of this one I showed earlier.

The first of your second set also captured my attention as the colourful paint contrasts with the grey and brown decay around it.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

The interesting thing is, that very simple lines can be used to great effect, like on this one:

Works can become very elaborated as this one (gone now, replaced by this):

It is also interesting to see the same character appear in different situations like the two shown below and this one shown previously:

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Irony!

Michael,

This is really insanity! If one shouldn't post notices, then one shouldn't post this! The writer was not a Kantian. He could have just written it, but to order it to be posted, makes relies on relativism where the end justifies tyne means. Also the person who actually put it up is doing what? Is he acting against his conscience, can't read or what? :)

Still, I love this word "aufruf as it has so many meanings and parts to play in modern language.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher

When you know the character 'ERWIN', it is clear that his is a parody, if not, you have to read until the cost for cleanup, which is just hilarious, to see what it is.
Adding phone number and e-mail (both are correct) of a well-known museum makes it quite an effective prank. I think they received calls and e-mails.
The idea has something Magritte-esque.

Somehow related is this one. The sticker says 'Post no bills!' and the writing with the arrow says 'but labelling is OK?:

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Michael,

This one is exceptionally attractive, like a prize dutch tulip, the red blending to bright yellow, just adorable decoration to a wall........that one drives by.

Asher