• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some photographs from Kenya

Antonio Correia

2022-12-28%4004.37.27-X4.jpg
2022-12-28%4004.44.17-Edit-X4.jpg
2022-12-27%4006.21.37-X4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
These are wonderful! Great to have visited during Covid! That was adventurous.

Was this your own travel itinerary or did you book a tour?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, we have been there for 15 days, we landed on the 31 December 2022 at 10:15h Lisbon time
All was well and we enjoyed the time we spent there
We made a tailored circuit and we were 4: wife, daughter, grandson and me
We have been stuck in a river for a while, another car came for help
2022-12-26%4010.59.42-M.jpg
2022-12-26%4008.12.19-M.jpg
2022-12-24%4015.12.16-3-X3.jpg

Asher Kelman

So excited for you, Antonio, especially having your daughter and grandson. How old is he?. What an achievement! How did you organize it?

Did you rent the car with a guide. How did you create your itinerary?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, Luisa as usual organised everything.
Starting from an available tour she changed it to my daughter and her's wish.
The tour was with the car and the driver also as guide which was enough. They choose the lodges..
The fights were bought separately, we flew Lufthansa.
All went well because Luisa made several searches to find a reliable Kenyan tour operator
Did you know that China bought the railways in China and built stations and lines ? A shame !
At a railway station
i-n6jHstD-X2.jpg

i-g8SGg2K-X4.jpg
i-fKbgHhp-X4.jpg

Asher Kelman

Love those ducks! Presumably no crocs nearby!!

How strenuous was this trip?

I woukd like to do such a trip!

Asher

Antonio Correia

It was not a very tiring trip even if we made a couple of 6 hours drive. To avoid more roads we also made one domestic flight and one voyage by train.
This one was a deception as the railways are anonymous where only the people are different. It was almost like traveling in a train in Europe.
I am sure you would like and appreciate these days in Africa !

i-6p8pdNh-X4.jpg
i-5mBTrnh-X4.jpg
i-ShBxWTp-X4.jpg

i-qg5VFh3-X4.jpg

Antonio Correia

Just rocks !
The guy in blue (driver of the other car) have been walking between cars.
Perhaps the flow of water was too extreme for crocs...
The persons back there could be in some danger, however. They were advised not to go up the margins because they could be spotted by some animal !

Asher Kelman

Just rocks !
The guy in blue (driver of the other car) have been walking between cars.
Perhaps the flow of water was too extreme for crocs...
The persons back there could be in some danger, however. They were advised not to go up the margins because they could be spotted by some animal !
I cannot believe how f#cking stupid folk can be! They also risk animals being shot to protect them!

…and when a fast animal drags one into the bushes, guess what, the other people there would be at risk of being shot by accident!

Weren’t tgr folk given “rules” before the trip?

Asher Kelman

523BA037-E015-4C50-BECC-75876B68F25C.jpeg

Tell me who took THIS one! Such beauty!

I would place this image in my granddaughters room as an inspiration!

It is one of the most remarkable and genuine natural compositions of people I have seen in my life!

Asher

Will Thompson

Asher, we have been there for 15 days, we landed on the 31 December 2022 at 10:15h Lisbon time
All was well and we enjoyed the time we spent there
We made a tailored circuit and we were 4: wife, daughter, grandson and me
We have been stuck in a river for a while, another car came for help
2022-12-24%4015.12.16-3-X3.jpg
What type of bird is this?
It is a fantastic photo.
Is it in the eagle family.
It is obviously a type of raptor.

Will T.

Antonio Correia

Thank you Will for your comment ! :)
Yes, it is an eagle and this is all I can say about it.
The eagle was as the photo bellow shows when we stopped the car.
As it was cleaning up the feathers we were quiet and I was then able to prepare the camera using a "humble" 135mm
Later, we could see that the eagle had been eating a chicken as some feathers were left behind we saw just on the other side of the nest of the termites.
When we moved on we could see some feathers left behind on the other side of the termite mount
As we can see the pappus (maw, goiter) of the eagle is distent... what a meal !
When it lift off I made a few shots and was lucky to get one even if I had to make a serious crop.
i-M55nff4-L.jpg
i-sQBz2zt-L.jpg
Later

Asher Kelman

Could we have such a great time using only trains and are their luxury versions of the tour with more comfortable SUV transportation?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, the transportation in these wild areas are always uncomfortable as the roads are either muddy and/or full of potholes.
Twice we helped cars which were running in two wheels only instead of 4 as ours and this was a key factor as when driving the back of car was "dancing" on mud.
Unfortunately I didn't take any photo of any road...
Bellow the passenger in front of me and her hair while sleeping and you know who when photographing the eagle ! ;)

i-zbqDDNK-L.jpg
i-DD7kHGb-L.jpg

i-fctfqv7-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

Yea, my great friend, Antonio,

It’s fully worthwhile to withstand the harsh journey and get such images. Please email me instructions and if I go, I would order the 4 wheel drive!

Did you manage to chat with thr Africans on the trip and learn where they originated as many African countries have very demanding travel restrictions. Folk from Somalia essentially are not allowed to be tourists in their own continent!

We are the MOST privileged and can travel anywhere!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Amazing!

I see it’s 135 mm! So you were pretty close!

What distance?

Did you find out why they don’t attack people in open trucks?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Sometimes we were pretty close and sometimes... pretty far. :)
A few years ago when we have been in Kenya for the first time, if an animal was spotted 100 or 200 meters away the car would go there, as near as possible. But now, thankfully the cars are not allowed but on the roads. As consequence we have been 300 meters away from one lion and 3 lionesses trying to catch a wild pig for 2 hours and at the end they walked away behind the bushes ! :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes they were just there, by the road waiting for us to photograph having a nap.

Bellow, two simple and naive photographs

i-j7gr57B-X4.jpg
i-4N4wX7j-X4.jpg

Asher Kelman

“Naive photographs”?

The white bird and white tusks are a superb “finishing touch” to the elephant shot and with the lion b.g. vignetted and slightly blurred, the lion is a win ER too!

It’s a matter of the preparation for the final presentation that makes safari pictures exceptional and these are well on their way!

But final retouching and headache is 10 times the effort of flying out, saying in thr vehicle and schlepping heavy lenses!

So don’t sell your work short!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher but I am not that optimist...
Sell my work ? :ROFLMAO:
Yes, if you prepare them. So for example the pools of water might or might not be expanded. Background sky might or might not be swopped. List all elements and perhaps create a hierarchy of sharp focus, contrast, lighting and all the way to blurred darkness according to your Portuguese extensive legacy of art, ethics and imagination!